BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by my dealer that they would not accept any outside warranty other than bmw's own is it true ? is this a bmw policy or just this dealer hmmm

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not sure on your exact circumstances, but for example when my wife bought her 328 the bmw dealership sold her a third party extended warranty, and she has used it twice, once at Motorwerks bmw in the twin cities and once at the bmw dealership in Oklahoma City, so unless I am not fully understanding you, my wife has bought and used a third party warranty at bmw, hope this helps, Josh

·
Registered
12 Posts
RM5 said:
I was told by my dealer that they would not accept any outside warranty other than bmw's own is it true ? is this a bmw policy or just this dealer hmmm
according to the folks at BMW of Arlington in No. VA, they have the right to refuse any 3rd party warranty. luckily they accept CARMAX's.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just curious, but why would any dealership want to refuse any third party warranty, ie you take your care to the dealership and they say this, this and this is wrong with it, and you say here is my warranty , they call the warranty company and they pay, anything they do notcover the ball is back in your court, so I see that maybe as a consumer this is problematic, or troublesome, but in the end the dealership is still getting there money so why would they want to alienate particular customers not arguing so much as just curios to why dealerships would act this way, Josh

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
bmwusa said:
Just curious, but why would any dealership want to refuse any third party warranty, ie you take your care to the dealership and they say this, this and this is wrong with it, and you say here is my warranty , they call the warranty company and they pay, anything they do notcover the ball is back in your court, so I see that maybe as a consumer this is problematic, or troublesome, but in the end the dealership is still getting there money so why would they want to alienate particular customers not arguing so much as just curios to why dealerships would act this way, Josh

Because the dealer made no money on the sale of the warranty, because these service contracts typically require the dealer to get pre-approval of any repairs, sometimes also a pre-repair inspection and then another call to get the final billing done. So they end up tying up a lot of time.

I've been on the wrong end of this before, and learned the hard way to buy the contract from the dealer where you plan to have your work done.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I guess I understand, but basically it boils down to time and hassle so in the end, screw the customer, dealership first type of attitude, if this ever happened to me I would think twice about working with that dealership in the future, Josh

·
Registered
12 Posts
apparently the labor rates and total hrs for certain procedures do not coicide with what the dealer would charge. in my case, the warranty company would only pay for 80% of the hours (assessed by the dealer) to fix a valve cover gasket. i had to take care of the difference out of my own pocket.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I bought my M5 from Braman Motors of West Palm Beach but got my extended warranty from an outside vendor. Had a problem with the thermostat (bill ran about $900) and the dealer accepted the warranty, less the deductible which I paid out of pocket. It seems that its a dealer to dealer issue or you need a SA who'll go to bat for you.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
No one has to deal directly with a third party warranty company, not even a BMW dealer. I am not aware of any third party warranty that won't let you take the car to any authorized dealer, possibly get an approval after the problem is diagnosed and an estimate of the costs received. Then you pay for the repair, and then the warranty company reimburses you directly.

I just send in the receipts for my repairs and receive a check from the warranty company. Read your contract. It will tell you how to get the car serviced, any limitations or restrictions, and options for receiving payment. It is amazing to me how many people do not know what coverages they have on their vehicles, or what they have contractually agreed to. I wouldn't sign anything without knowing what I was paying for.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am leaning towards AAAutowarranty and my dealer told me that they will not accept outside warranty. service advisor says they don't make any calls for payment. I guess I will ask AAAutowarranty if I could pay it than get reimbursed.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
RM5 said:
I am leaning towards AAAutowarranty and my dealer told me that they will not accept outside warranty. service advisor says they don't make any calls for payment. I guess I will ask AAAutowarranty if I could pay it than get reimbursed.
The Platinum contract from AAAutowarranty, available online (as are all the contracts), says you can be reimbursed if the facility won't deal with the warranty itself:

HOW CLAIMS ARE AUTHORIZED-1) Present your service
agreement, 2) Authorize the repairer to diagnose the concerns
with your vehicle, 3) Make sure the repair facility obtains a
repair authorization number from the Administrator to assure
proper payment under this agreement.
PAYMENT TO SERVICE FACILITY: In the event that payment
is to be made directly to the Service facility we will make
payment directly via Visa/Mastercard, American Express, or
Corporate Check upon receipt of the repair order bearing the
authorization number and your signature, and copies of all sublet
bills or receipts.
PAYMENT TO YOU - In the event that you pay for repairs or
services authorized by us, the Administrator will mail a claim
check upon receipt of the paid signed repair bill bearing the
authorization number, and copies of all sublet bills or receipts.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
RM5 said:
I'd put a call in to the General Manager of the dealership. (or write a letter)

Explain how you've just decided to spend $3500 for an extended warranty AND decided to switch dealerships due to the incredibly rude and unfriendly treatment offered by his staff.

Just wanted to let him know why he lost a customer.

and then take your business elsewhere.

A

PS My guess is that the SA figures he can intimidate you (and others) into buying their plan that kicks them back $1000-1500 on the front end...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts