BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The outside temperature reading (dash center lower right) recently has become erratic and unstable. It varies from correct temperature to -35 degrees F and then climbs back up slowly. Sometimes its correct when you start the car and other times its not. At times it changes while driving and I get the alert of the temperature below 37 degrees F.

I think this is a bad sensor (Pass front lower skirt) but was wondering if anyone has seen this before. Its annoying more than anything and I expect if I bring it to the dealer they "will not be able to duplicate" the problem anyway.

Ideas? Dash was recently replaced for pixel drop out problem...

·
Registered
682 Posts
You just need to replace your ambient temp sensor.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Yep, your front sensor is banged up so the car automatically reads -35 degrees. Just need to buy a new sensor and possible a new underpanel section for the right front lower unpanels where the sensor sits. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Good news is that it is highly unlikely it is your new intrument cluster.

Perhaps you banged/scuffed your front passenger side lower skirt and either the connection is loose, or the temp sensor is broken. Replacement part is right around $50 (includes temp sensor and actual panel).

Install is a breeze, no need to jack up car or take the wheel off - simply turn steering wheel clockwise to fullest extent and that should clear enough room for you take the screws off from inside the wheel well, then a couple of more underneath the front M- bumber and you are done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
cosioboy said:
Good news is that it is highly unlikely it is your new intrument cluster.

Replacement part is right around $50 (includes temp sensor and actual panel).

The part (panel) is 100 bucks and does not include the temp sensor. I just ordered one today. Easy to fix yourself.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
mako said:
The part (panel) is 100 bucks and does not include the temp sensor. I just ordered one today. Easy to fix yourself.
Wow, that seems very excessive to me, FL dealers must have very healthy profit margins... LOL

I changed mine about a year ago, paid under $40 for the driver side and don't have the receipt, but definitely not even close to $100 for the passenger side (with the temp sensor included).

Ever since I 'discovered' the mail order option from Circle BMW (or Pacific BMW), I have never ordered parts by walking into a dealership... The savings are very significant, you should try these guys...

·
Registered
12 Posts
cosioboy said:
Wow, that seems very excessive to me, FL dealers must have very healthy profit margins... LOL

I changed mine about a year ago, paid under $40 for the driver side and don't have the receipt, but definitely not even close to $100 for the passenger side (with the temp sensor included).

Ever since I 'discovered' the mail order option from Circle BMW (or Pacific BMW), I have never ordered parts by walking into a dealership... The savings are very significant, you should try these guys...
I knew I was getting cornholed when I ordered this from the dealer. I will check with circle/pacific BMW next time I need anything. Thanks for the tip :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow up. Went to the dealer and purchased the temp sensor for $29 (BMWCCA discount). The reason why I asked the question to the board was that the lower panel is undamaged and the sensor looks fine. Well sure enough after installing the sensor and a 30 mile drive all is good. It was initially not reading properly but within 1/2 hour started to read fine. I have to assume that the temperature displayed must be averaged or sampled over time to minimize the variations.

So eventhough the sensor did not appear damaged and the panel was totally intact the sensor appears to have been defective.

Thanks to everyone for their input, informative as usual!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts