BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know about this? Does the temperature outside matter if your gonna give your car a NOS shot? For instant - since NOS is already a cold substance - if I give it a shot on say a 32 degree day (freezing)vis it good or bad? Would that be way to cold of air hitting the engine? :dunno: If so How warm of a day should it be to hit it?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Check with Abid. Send him a PM.

Ranger

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Thats an interesting thought. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Actually your engine should be warmed up so It will be fine as the temperature should remain constant or relatively constant at peak oprating conditions, thus cooling the engine the same... right? I dunno, Maybe asr can chime in

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Very interesting question. I'm with Myke -- I would think once the engine is warm, you'd be fine. But there's got to be a point when it could be dangerous to the engine...

·
Registered
162 Posts
As long as the engine is warm up and your pressure is between 900 and 1100 psi you should be OK. Also remember that if your pressure drops less than 800psi you are be running a lean condition and this may ruin your engine (kaboom!!!!) and if it goes more than 1100psi rich which means you are not going to be making much power

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
As long as the engine is warm up and your pressure is between 900 and 1100 psi you should be OK. Also remember that if your pressure drops less than 800psi you are be running a lean condition and this may ruin your engine (kaboom!!!!) and if it goes more than 1100psi rich which means you are not going to be making much power
Are you sure about this? ? ?

·
Registered
663 Posts
The bottle pressure running low just means either you're running low on nitrous or your bottle heater is not working if your bottle is full. Low bottle pressures wil not make the engine run lean at all. On the contrary, if it is a wet system it will run on the rich side. High bottle pressures will can cause two things to happen. First thing being a lean condition and secondly your solenoid could get stuck in the open position. Either scenario is not a good one.

As far as running the nitrous on a cold day, you will have no issues as long as you are at operating temperatures. You should be at operating temperatures even on hot day before hitting the nitrous. One major thing I would be concerned about @ 34deg fahrenheit is the tire temps. You will have your hands full if you hit the nirtous with cold tires in that kind of weather condition.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Good post from ASR. Have ya'll ever heard of the pressure getting too high in a full nitrous bottle due to a hot summer day cooking the trunk? I know here in Texas it can get like 110+ easily in a car if its sitting out in the sun. I don't know how much expansion due to heat nitrous experiences especially if its already a gas or is it liquid when in the tank???

·
Registered
924 Posts
Good post from ASR. Have ya'll ever heard of the pressure getting too high in a full nitrous bottle due to a hot summer day cooking the trunk? I know here in Texas it can get like 110+ easily in a car if its sitting out in the sun. I don't know how much expansion due to heat nitrous experiences especially if its already a gas.
But then again air expands alot in heat, ever measure tire pressure when its cold opposed to when its hot? There is a nice difference in PSI! i dunno how much difference it would make in the bottle though as it can be completely irrelevant to tire pressure differences...

·
Registered
663 Posts
In high temperature conditions, it always best to have a purge kit installed. This will allow you to lower the bottle pressure to an optimal value between 950psi to 1050psi.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.. Yes Abid I agree with what you say about the cold tires. When its this cold I generally hit it from a 60 roll, even at that speed I can feel the rear end wanting to walk. So YES you need to be very cautious when going full throttle in the cold, but I was curious about the cold spray in a cold environment.... :M5launch:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts