BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

So, winter is approaching here in Canada, and I have some decisions to make.

I trashed my winter beater (Tuarus SHO), and I'm not sure what direction to take for the upcoming winter season.

I commute about 1,000 Km per week (ugh). I usually mix it up a bit with train/subway, motorcycle, and beast, just for a variety, and too keep the miles down on the beast. Motorcycle wont work well in a few months, and I would usually take the Taurus to the train station as I dont like the beast sitting outside all day. So, a couple of questions

Outside Parking:
How much damage will this do to the car parking it ouside all day. Lot at the train station is likely safe enough, but no shading or indoor parking, so dont want to trash the beast by parking it outside all day. Parking at home and work is indoor, so hasnt been a problem. Any insights to this is appreciated.

Winter Driving:
How much damage will winter driving conditions inflict on the beast? Not to concerned about being able to drive it in poor conditions, as I've driven many rear wheel drive cars through the winter. More concerned with affect of salt, etc, on a daily basis for 3 months of winter. There is the 'other driver' smashing into you aspect as well, but I can ascertain that for myself.

So, those our my concerns. I'm thinking of buying another winter car (like maybe a diesel Jetta for fuel prices), or something. But, if there would be little impact to the beast, I may foregoe spending $30K on a winter car and just driving the beast.

Anywho, any input or advice would be greatly apreciated. :)

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
vvanherk said:
Winter Driving:
How much damage will winter driving conditions inflict on the beast? Not to concerned about being able to drive it in poor conditions, as I've driven many rear wheel drive cars through the winter. More concerned with affect of salt, etc, on a daily basis for 3 months of winter. There is the 'other driver' smashing into you aspect as well, but I can ascertain that for myself.

So, those our my concerns. I'm thinking of buying another winter car (like maybe a diesel Jetta for fuel prices), or something. But, if there would be little impact to the beast, I may foregoe spending $30K on a winter car and just driving the beast.
My 0.02 worth from other threads: keep the beast out of the salt unless you are vigilant about under-carriage washes. I see the effects of exponentially advancing salt corrosion on my 10-year old 540, and it is not pretty. Also, if you have a heated garage, all the worst... heat accelerates the oxidation chemistry. Nature and road salt will find a way to corrode your beast... best not to give this process the upper hand if you plan on keeping it for many years. Buy a cheap but respectable winter beater and you won't have to worry... :)

Cheers,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts