BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my extensive troubles with injectors I now have a knock sensor code that won't go away. I'm pretty sure both sensors are in fine working condition, as these things rarely ever fail. After a lot of investigation, we found a pin that had been pushed out on the connection for the injector and knock sensor harness. Got that all taken care of and thought the problem was solved.

Nope the code is still there.. 46. Car still drives 100%. Not sure what else to do..

Thoughts?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just had the same problem, I had a code on my left bank of cylinders for the knock sensor. I just replaced the sensor and the code has not come back again. I got it done at my Indi for about $700.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
After my extensive troubles with injectors I now have a knock sensor code that won't go away. I'm pretty sure both sensors are in fine working condition, as these things rarely ever fail. After a lot of investigation, we found a pin that had been pushed out on the connection for the injector and knock sensor harness. Got that all taken care of and thought the problem was solved.

Nope the code is still there.. 46. Car still drives 100%. Not sure what else to do..

Thoughts?

considering you've ruled out everything else, it's probably the sensor.

Have you done any continuity testing to confirm there isn't a break in the circuit?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. Plenum will be torn back off when I can drop the car off again and have it looked at. This better be the last time.

I will make sure it is checked for continuity in the circuit and last resort will probably be replacing the sensor.

DesiOC, they charged you $700 to replace the sensor!? How did they manage to justify that to you?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
On another car I had the KS was extraordinarily susceptible to overheat. Once the car was over 8-10 years old, one trip up to near overheat would cause the sensor housing to crack and it was gone. Same deal, pull the plenum, dig it out.

It became part of the standard "pull the plenum and replace all you can" procedure. KSs, vacuum and primary and secondary air lines, plus fuel.

Seems that the E39 M5s will get there too eventually.

A

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Plenum will be torn back off when I can drop the car off again and have it looked at. This better be the last time.

I will make sure it is checked for continuity in the circuit and last resort will probably be replacing the sensor.

DesiOC, they charged you $700 to replace the sensor!? How did they manage to justify that to you?

The $700 included parts/labor and a temperature sensor that they replaced as well. My Indi is excellent and the entire bill was taken care of by my warranty company [no deductible] ;)

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts

Why do people automatically assume that any posted cost for repair is somehow unfair? Nit Picking, I know...

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Thoughts?
Russ,

I think there is a wiring connector for the knock sensors with the main loom towards the back of the cylinder head. It has most like come lose when the injector wiring loom was being manipulated, I reckon.

When there is a knock sensor code, I am sure the DME assumes there is knock and pull timing etc to keep you running safe. But I am surprised you say the car doesn't feel more lethargic....
As I mentioned in your other thread, the Knock Sensor code is almost 100% probable only from the recent work around the injector wiring loom towards the back of your block. There may still be an issue in that area.

On a side note when I got a knock sensor code 45 on a few occasions, I never saw it again after changing all 4 CPS, but I am sure you have done that already.

Good Luck

Kumaran

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I've replaced pretty much every single thing under the plenum. The wiring loom has been very carefully inspected and repaired. Troubleshooting will continue and we will get it figured out.

Reactions: M5 London

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My bet is the connector slipped out during the work on the fuel rails...
It's been looked over extensively. He found a pin had come out and fixed that hoping it was the issue but the code is coming back after clearing.

How does the S62 Stig feel about a trip to Charlotte?

·
Registered
10,323 Posts

Thoughts?
Not sure if you got this solved but for what it is worth, according to a test Wayne Whistler did the codes for knock sensors may not be reporting correctly.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...ank-2-new-thread-post2035087.html#post2035087

According to his test code 46 would be 5 and 6 not 3 and 4. I can't say right or wrong but thought you may want to know.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if you got this solved but for what it is worth, according to a test Wayne Whistler did the codes for knock sensors may not be reporting correctly.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...ank-2-new-thread-post2035087.html#post2035087

According to his test code 46 would be 5 and 6 not 3 and 4. I can't say right or wrong but thought you may want to know.
Thank you! That would be why the shop's Autologic showed different cylinders than my peake reader for the knock sensor code. Still haven't done anything about my code, will probably replace the knock sensor when I get a chance.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Thank you! That would be why the shop's Autologic showed different cylinders than my peake reader for the knock sensor code. Still haven't done anything about my code, will probably replace the knock sensor when I get a chance.
Well with that confirmation from Autologic scan I think I will try and get that into the sticky code knowledge base thread.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts