BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if this was possible? Being that the 850CSI doesn't quite make 400BHP, I was wondering why not stuff the S-62 in to a 840. Has anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I wanted to know if this was possible? Being that the 850CSI doesn't quite make 400BHP, I was wondering why not stuff the S-62 in to a 840. Has anyone ever heard of this?
S62 into a E31 - yes.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really would like to do this project. However from a financial point of view it might not be a wise decision. Has anyone in world done this swap??

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If I did one up I think the 850... 1997.... with e46 m3 motor...... for weight savings and price then add the stage 2 turbo Freaks kit 750 HP good to go plus it might even handle

My 2 cents

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I really would like to do this project. However from a financial point of view it might not be a wise decision. Has anyone in world done this swap??
The guys working on my M3 are also working on the electronics in a
S62 into an 8 series project. I'll see if I can get some info.

Reactions: TopEnd

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Blue Thunder!! I would really appreciate that.

I wouldn't do a e46 M3. The E31 is heavy and the s62 has more torque. Plus the 840 already comes v8 so using the same gearbox will become an option.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
750 HP way lighter than both v8s the 850 is very nose heavy..... plus plenty of room for the mechanic

·
Registered
53 Posts
WOW

·
10,458 Posts
there is a shop in central or southern california who did the 840 swap. In either bimmer or bmw car magazine a couple months ago (i think it was bmw car). They even retained the automatic trans.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i'm pretty sure there was an S62 powered E31 at the cars and coffee meet in irvine a few weeks ago. looked like a nice job, too.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Pickup the December issue of BMW CAR Magazine. There about a 6-page spread on how the job was done. It's a fun read.

The shop that did the work is Coast Motor Werks in Huntington Beach.

Since I own BOTH cars, an e39 M5 and a e31 840ci, I was quite interested in the article and I always wondered if such a swap would be worth it ... As a matter of fact ... The swap that I want to do is take the e39 6-Speed Tranny and put it in my 840ci ... and in reading the BMW Car mag article ... the installer said that the ONLY part of the entire process that he would NOT want to do over again is to use the Auto Tranny with the S62 Motor. He said the 6-speed is the only way to go.

Anyway ... Pickup a copy ... December 2007 Issue of BMW Car Mag.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
mfizzle i thinh your 2cents fizzled out on this project lol anyhow yes it is possible to do and the 840 is less nose heavy than the 850.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
why not put the v10 in and mod that?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Your right...I think Palantirion took pics of the car...let me see if i can find it...
i'm pretty sure there was an S62 powered E31 at the cars and coffee meet in irvine a few weeks ago. looked like a nice job, too.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Here ya go...i found this on bimmerforums..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a Supercharge for an E31 but the smogcheck in CA is tough to get it passed on visual inspection.

Jim

252 Posts
wow i have to start messing with bimmerfourm, fit and finish looks oem like engine was made to fit astounding, from that point of view. still needs dinan or DA s/c to finish the job, or a turbo induction where the plastic fan shroud is, o yeah and a hair cut.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts