BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
221 - 240 of 505 Posts
Do you still have the gearbox harness?
Did you find how to set up the eletric oil pump to work properly?
did you reflash the ECU by ncs export?
Sorry, I sold the harness to another member here a while back. If you need help making one or would like one, let me know. I haven't got around to getting the electric oil pump to work as of now. I have been too busy to work on the car and haven't picked off from it. It will be done soon but will need to get back into working on the car. To answer your last question, I used WinFKP to reflash the ECU to the 2MA software. I then used NCS Expert to code in the 2MA option into the CAS and VO. I had to do a complete code of all the modules to get the pesky yellow brake light to go away in my previous posts.

Has anyone tried using S65 Shifter components and the clutch? Read through all the pages but wasnt 100% sure. Seems like those 400ish prices were either way out of date(year ago) or s65 rockauto pricing.

Some have mentioned the vibration 2kish but i wasnt sure if that was with home s85 clutch parts or lighter s65 flywheel

Has anyone tried using S65 Shifter components and the clutch? Read through all the pages but wasnt 100% sure. Seems like those 400ish prices were either way out of date(year ago) or s65 rockauto pricing.

Some have mentioned the vibration 2kish but i wasnt sure if that was with home s85 clutch parts or lighter s65 flywheel
Part prices have definitely gone up since then. Also, the 1-2k vibration at idle is also present in 2 original 6 speed M5s I have personally looked at myself with original parts and factory 2MA...must be normal on these cars?

I have just brought a used S65 flywheel and clutch that I need to try. I'm hoping to offer up the flywheel later today but I won't be sure on if the clutch works or not for a while yet as the engine is out having rod bearings etc done. I might have some fun trying to compress a used clutch pack together to get things aligned correctly.

I also have S65 shifter linkage and I think it is shorter than the S85 version. I'll be able to confirm this later down the line when I order the parts to view at the dealer.

I have just test fitted the flywheel and it bolts up to the engine fine.
I have compared the trigger pattern to the smg flywheel and it appears to be correct and in the same location reference to the crank dowel.
I can't confirm that the engine runs for a couple of months I would say unfortunately.

Flywheel https://imgur.com/gallery/x5HEcKY
That's great to hear that the S65 flywheel might work! It would be much easier to do that than source the S85 version as of today (12/18/18). The S65 shift linkage is too short from what I saw. The S85 linkage bolts right up the E9x M3 transmission so no issues there. Please keep your progress posted!

I have just test fitted the flywheel and it bolts up to the engine fine.
I have compared the trigger pattern to the smg flywheel and it appears to be correct and in the same location reference to the crank dowel.
I can't confirm that the engine runs for a couple of months I would say unfortunately.

Flywheel https://imgur.com/gallery/x5HEcKY
I have no doubt of physical compatibility. Bmw training manual mentions engines are same for exception of vanos and extra cylinders, was a bit concerned with lower torque rating and slipping. However earlier found that it seems s65 clutches operate fine on supercharged cars. So we should be fine.

On another note, read that you may have the trans down and was hoping you could check how much input shaft play your s65 trans has. I've seen a few and they all seem to have bit more than older m cars i have come across.

If you could check and let me know i'd greatly appreciate it. Just got a supposedly low mile unit but you never know what you get from junk yards

As owner of touring version, I’m somehow also thinking to swap one day to 6MT, but I’m not so sure, specially regarding the drive shaft?
In sedan version there should be no problem, but for touring version, would sedan drive shaft from MT also fit to toruing model?

Ok, by OE numbers the shafts for E60 and E61 have the same number; 26112282720
So, I assume, that with 6MT and shaft of E60 MT would fit in E61 M5. (?) OE no: 26112283210

As owner of touring version, I’m somehow also thinking to swap one day to 6MT, but I’m not so sure, specially regarding the drive shaft?
In sedan version there should be no problem, but for touring version, would sedan drive shaft from MT also fit to toruing model?
Both E61 and E60 M5s are RWD. Engine, transmission, diff, and chassis are all the same so the driveshaft should bolt up. I say "should" instead of "will" since I didn't go over to RealOEM.com to confirm the part number is the same but I would absolutely shocked if all the M5 sedan drivetrain didn't bolt right up to your wagon.

Personally I wasn't so lucky starting with a 535xi E61. I swapped it to manual but also converted it from AWD to RWD with an M5 LSD and axles, since the M5 LSD was never paired with the N54 motor from the factory I had to take my MT M5 driveshaft and have it rebuilt and lengthened. The kicker in the whole project was my E61 chassis was setup for the transfer case of the 535xi so with the RWD specific manual trans the trans support was about 10" forward of the mounting points so I needed to have a bespoke trans support welded.

It was all worth it! A manual E61 is great, sprinkle in some M5 performance or 550whp like I have and it's a whole lot of fun.

Evan

Reactions: Hamster
Wow! Great to see someone pulled this off successfully.
@iDev326 did you get the reverse light and oil level issues sorted out? And with regards to the harness, in the past it was known you needed the whole damn 6MT vehicle harness. What work around did you do with your swap to avoid gutting the whole vehicle?

I realize the hardware is the "easy" part of these conversions, I'm just unsure on what the wiring side entails. If you or someone else would be kind enough to definitely outline exactly what's entailed in the wiring side of the equation, that would be amazing for future conversions.

Programming doesn't seem to be that complicated: simply flash the ECU to a 2MA version and code the other modules accordingly, right? Nothing more I assume?

Does cruise control still work BTW?

@Asb9987 - I haven't got around to the reverse light. Just been so busy with life that I haven't been able to prioritize and fix the issue. The oil level issue worked itself out and works flawlessly. I built a makeshift 6MT transmission harness to connect the sensors from the transmission to the DME. There is no need to change the entire vehicle harness. I made it early in the swap and posted up a little tutorial somewhere on this thread albeit it's not a great write up. Going to eventually make a DIY write up on that once I figure out the reverse light issue on the LCI M5. You are correct on flashing the modules and coding to 2MA to VO/FA through NCS Expert. Cruise control works flawlessly.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Bmw

Since I'm here, I'm now at 140.800 miles and have put almost 10,000 miles on the swap. Still going strong with no real issues however I think my differential bushings are shot as I'm getting a rear end clunk every time I push the clutch at a stop or when I'm shifting. Something I need to tend to soon. Other than that, still a joy to drive like the day I first drove it when I finished the swap! I'm currently working on lengthening a SMG driveshaft to a 6-speed driveshaft so it will be easier to do the swap than trying to source a 6-speed driveshaft. I have also mocked up the trans cooler and will be making a seperate post in the coming weeks on that for using the trans cooler ports on the E9x M3 transmission. This project isn't finished yet!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Automotive design

Honestly, major props for doing this! It's been many years in the making. I very much look forward to the harness DIY part. I'm casually looking to add an E60 M5 to my stable, but the lack of LCI availability in interesting colours with 3 pedals is discouraging. Now, if it became feasible (as you've shown) to simply swap the gearbox and have it all running properly, then that opens up the possibilities exponentially.

PS. That canyon carving photo is great!

It is possible that I'm an idiot, but in USA you have a 6MT as BMW series product. Why do you have all this issues with all the additional parts (wiring, etc.)?
We here in Europe have only the SMG version and would like to have the MT version, but a few very cool guys did start with transformation.

Regards

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@Asb9987 - I haven't got around to the reverse light. Just been so busy with life that I haven't been able to prioritize and fix the issue. The oil level issue worked itself out and works flawlessly. I built a makeshift 6MT transmission harness to connect the sensors from the transmission to the DME. There is no need to change the entire vehicle harness. I made it early in the swap and posted up a little tutorial somewhere on this thread albeit it's not a great write up. Going to eventually make a DIY write up on that once I figure out the reverse light issue on the LCI M5. You are correct on flashing the modules and coding to 2MA to VO/FA through NCS Expert. Cruise control works flawlessly.

View attachment 884582

Since I'm here, I'm now at 140.800 miles and have put almost 10,000 miles on the swap. Still going strong with no real issues however I think my differential bushings are shot as I'm getting a rear end clunk every time I push the clutch at a stop or when I'm shifting. Something I need to tend to soon. Other than that, still a joy to drive like the day I first drove it when I finished the swap! I'm currently working on lengthening a SMG driveshaft to a 6-speed driveshaft so it will be easier to do the swap than trying to source a 6-speed driveshaft. I have also mocked up the trans cooler and will be making a seperate post in the coming weeks on that for using the trans cooler ports on the E9x M3 transmission. This project isn't finished yet!

View attachment 884584
Good work! So, to clarify you capped off oil cooler in/outlet correct?

Has anyone used the kit from FCP Euro?

It comes with lots of buts and pieces, they weren’t much help in what else was needed and didn’t sound like they were correct that the SMG driveshaft could be reused.

Interesting if anyone has any feedback?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-manual-trans-conversion-kit-21212283648kt
Why do i smell an undercover FCP employee attempting to promote their overpriced half assed kit and certainly not willing to do their share of reading?

Why do i smell an undercover FCP employee attempting to promote their overpriced half assed kit and certainly not willing to do their share of reading?
Haha, I wish that were the case. Sounds like there is more to that story but I have little interest in it.

Sadly, I’m working on this for my friend and did rod bearings and the vanos pump and the SMG has left me stranded twice. I’m starting to think it’ll never get finished because it keeps breaking.

The first time was the clutch position sensor and now it looks like the slave is leaking and it’s a case of the “might as wells” with a clutch and flywheel.

OR

A 6 speed swap. The company has been less than helpful with how put together their kit is. I don’t know how FCP Euro can sell a kit and be unfamiliar with what’s needed to finish the swap. They claim the SMG driveshaft will work but from this thread that appears to be misinformation. But based on your reply it sounds like you have little regard for it. Also to your point, I have read this thread and there are a lot of examples of people meaning to come back and fill in the pieces. Which is fine, people get busy etc...

The nuts and bolts of the swap along with the software doesn’t intimidate me, I’m just not here to reinvent the wheel. I don’t have the time commitment required to run around and source things as needed. I’d like to have everything loaded in the shotgun from the jump and just pull the trigger.

If you still believe I stink like an undercover FCP employee you can check out Hoovies garage on YouTube and see the car my friend and I picked up in Kansas. You’ll see how much love it needed.

AND if you still don’t believe me maybe you should look at why you’re busting the balls of a new member who asked a legitimate, specific question that wasn’t answered in a 25 page thread or a search.

Arden

So, I finally have my MT converted car in hand. I got (almost) all the parts and my indie mechanic did all the work. First, the good news. After 2.5 years of down time (SMG clutch pump broke and I didn't get parts until recently for the conversion), I have to say that I've missed the sound of the car so much and driving it 50 miles home was music to my ears. Obviously I love the MT way more than the SMG and driving it is much more fun than before. Don't think I'll have a use for the 5th and 6th gear on my daily drive :) I still think my E36 M3 is more fun to drive, though, but it's awesome to share my daily drive between the two.

(Almost) Everything is working. I'm missing the center console trim, since the EDC buttom trim doesn't fit in the old one. I have to find the replacement for that. The worst news is that my mechanic wasn't able to program the DSC, so I'm running without DSC. lol. I know it's not that big of a deal, but it would be pretty handy to have during winter. My mechanic believes that because the car is a March 2006 production, the DSC is not the same DSC introduced when the MT came out in October 2006. So, I have a DSC fault going on and thus DSC and ABS are off.

Does anyone have any thought on getting the DSC to program? I'm afraid of dropping another grand and finding out it's not the DSC. I followed Chariot's parts list almost to a tee, but I didn't change the steering wheel. And of course I can't source a used belly cover for the transmission, but I figured I can live without that for a bit.

Thanks,
Doobster.

I'm reviving this thread once more as a result of finally solving the last piece of this 6MT conversion puzzle.

Even since completing the swap I have not been able to deactivate DSC. As many of you know, the SMG and 6MT use different buttons to deactivate the DSC, so, if you do this swap in a 2007 or older car you will need the SZM from a manual car which has the MDM button on it. These are very hard to find since there are so few 2007 6MT cars out there...well, I finally got fed up waiting for one to pop up on eBay so I bit the bullet and ordered one from my dealer:

Once you code your DSC for a manual car (2MA) you will have a fault for DSC button error or pushed for longer than 10 seconds, followed by a DSC shutdown in which case you can no longer disable DSC or turn on MDM traction mode.

Initially, I was expecting this and ok with it, not thinking anything of it as I knew the 6MT switch was different. The problem arose when I plugged in my new MDM switch panel and the error remained along with the mentioned fault code and still not being able to disable DSC.

After 3 days of pondering now, checking if software is different, or DSC unit is different it turns out that when coding the DSC for manual, it looks at another pin for the DSC_PASS signal which comes from the MDM switch.
How did I figure this out? In INPA, when viewing the DSC switch status, the DSC switch shows active full time when there is no signal incoming to the DSC pin.

I discovered this by accident swapping pin 4 with 41 as the schematic (incorrectly) calls out. When you do that, the brake light switch status comes on full time, so that led me to the fact that the phantom DSC_PASS signal pin was open since it's a digital signal which is either 12v on or off.

There are 17 empty cavities on the DSC connector...our lucky winning number when playing DSC pinning roulette is....................6, so, long story short:

SMG DSC has the DSC_PASS signal wire going to pin 41 from the DSC switch. When converting to manual, move the wire from cavity 41 to cavity 6.

Before you do this, make sure you move the other end of that wire out of the white little 4 pin DSC button connector (Blue wire) and move it to the little connector into spot 3 on the back of the SZM.

Your DSC TASTER status should be off as pictured when not pressing the button....not filled in like the 2 below it.

DSC passive can now be activated again once the DSC_PASS signal gets to pin 6 and all DSC OFF problems are solved.

Now I'm off to slap this thing back together. :)
This doesn't make much sense to me. There is already a wire there , i know because i took the time to check continuity , double check diagram wasn't wrong and the wires were not going elsewhere. Moving 3&41 to 3&6...that identical wire is already there, what am i missing?

What production date was the the car you swapped, it looks like you already had 6 at DSC, what was present at pin 3 on x14057?

Attachments

221 - 240 of 505 Posts