BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
181 - 200 of 505 Posts
Yes. If I'm sitting at idle and I give a little gas, I get a little harmonic vibration that steadily gets worse until it hits ~2k rpm then it suddenly smoothes out beyond that. I ended up using the LUK flywheel/pressure plate. You?

Yes. If I'm sitting at idle and I give a little gas, I get a little harmonic vibration that steadily gets worse until it hits ~2k rpm then it suddenly smoothes out beyond that. I ended up using the LUK flywheel/pressure plate. You?
Interesting, I get the same harmonic resonance at two frequencies (1400 and 2000) - it must be the manual flywheel. My wife's SMG doesn't get any of these harmonics.

Edit:
A bit more googling
SMG dual mass flywheel (21212229955) is 14.4kg
Manual dual mass flywheel (21212283060) is 13.6kg

Some quick math, the flywheel weight difference alone doesn't shift the resonance nearly enough. Does anyone know the weight diff between the SMG and manual transmissions?

Code:
> k_stiffness = 13.6*(1400)^2*4*pi^2
> new_freq = (1/(2*pi))*sqrt(k_stiffness/14.4)
> new_freq
[1] 1360.555
How can I avoid resonance?

Steering Wheel and Underbody Cover

Question. Does the steering wheel HAVE to be changed? Or can I just use the old steering wheel with the paddle shifts just sitting there, looking pretty? Also, would there be any harm in running without the underbody cover 51758042223? I cannot locate one below several hundred dollars.

Thanks,
Ross.

No you do not have to change the steering wheel. I had mine swapped from a smg to a 6speed. I still have the old wheel just with the paddles removed. You can feel where the paddles went on the back of the wheel but only if you're looking for them.

So I've been pretty quiet again as usual. Haven't had much time to tinker with the project. However, I have stockpiled together the clutch, dual mass flywheel, all the miscellaneous hardware, received E90 M3 transmission oil cooler lines, driveshaft, and a few little other things.

However, maybe someone can give some insight on this but I flashed and coded the car to the 2MA software and seem to have only one real issue. My "brake" light is on all the time and is yellow. When I pulled up my scan tool, I get the following error message. "DSC D378, Message (FRMFA, 0X944) faulty (reverse gear switch) receiver DSC, transmitter DME-DDE"

Text Font

I've checked my wiring from the DME and DSC and seem to come to an impasse on what this might mean. Not sure why it says reverse switch? The MDM button still switches on and off the DSC and there is no ABS, DSC lights on. Just the yellow brake light in the dash. Trying to figure this out but if anyone has seen this code before, could you share some insight?

This weekend, I will be trying to install the flywheel, clutch and mounting the transmission into the car. More progress to come, stay tuned folks!

Hey idev, when I had the swap done the shop had the same problem. The brake light being yellow is a bit annoying but does not seem to cause any other problems and I'm still able to pass state inspections (Texas). Not sure what causes it but would be interested to know if you manage to fix it.

Another problem is I would often get the "start on/off assistance malfunction" warning (dont remember the code) but it seems to happen intermittently.

GabrielD - I actually managed to fix the issue on my car. So what I ended up doing was using NCS Expert and re-coding every module of the car with the 2MA option software. Once I did that, the error code went away and haven’t seen it since. I think what happened was I never properly coded the car and the DSC software was possibly looking for signals from the SMG ecu that is no longer there. Either way, I’d try re-coding the car using NCS Expert and go from there.

I got the 6-speed flywheel and clutch in and torqued on. That flywheel is HEAVY and AWKWARD to get into place. A second set of hands may help. Realize that there is a dowel on the crankshaft that a larger flywheel hole with slot into. You need to get this right otherwise the flywheel will not sit properly and can cause serious damage. Torque to 105nm.

Getting the clutch was also a bit of a hassle as well imo. It’s an odd type that it has splines inside the pressure plate that line up with the clutch disk. If these aren’t lined up prior to mating it up to the flywheel, you will have a hard time trying to get the pins on the flywheel lined up with the holes on the pressure plate. Make sure your clutch comes with the alignment tool that has the detachable bolt. Once that is done, torque the pressure plate to 10nm+2nm. You will then remove the 14mm allen lock ring. Take out the alignment tool.

It’s been a long night but I got it on and ready to prep the trans tomorrow. More on this shortly!

Attachments

Stumbled on this thread. Ironically, the same topic came up this morning at our SMD breakfast.

Somebody told me once that the RHD steering box gets in the way of the manual. Not sure if this is accurate though.
GabrielD - I actually managed to fix the issue on my car. So what I ended up doing was using NCS Expert and re-coding every module of the car with the 2MA option software. Once I did that, the error code went away and haven’t seen it since. I think what happened was I never properly coded the car and the DSC software was possibly looking for signals from the SMG ecu that is no longer there. Either way, I’d try re-coding the car using NCS Expert and go from there.

I got the 6-speed flywheel and clutch in and torqued on. That flywheel is HEAVY and AWKWARD to get into place. A second set of hands may help. Realize that there is a dowel on the crankshaft that a larger flywheel hole with slot into. You need to get this right otherwise the flywheel will not sit properly and can cause serious damage. Torque to 105nm.

Getting the clutch was also a bit of a hassle as well imo. It’s an odd type that it has splines inside the pressure plate that line up with the clutch disk. If these aren’t lined up prior to mating it up to the flywheel, you will have a hard time trying to get the pins on the flywheel lined up with the holes on the pressure plate. Make sure your clutch comes with the alignment tool that has the detachable bolt. Once that is done, torque the pressure plate to 10nm+2nm. You will then remove the 14mm allen lock ring. Take out the alignment tool.

It’s been a long night but I got it on and ready to prep the trans tomorrow. More on this shortly!

Big news everyone, I got the transmission into the car this weekend. It was a pain in the *** to get that thing to line up on my back. I went and grabbed a transmission jack from HF tools and it helped much more than using the regular floor jack. Once it went on, it was a matter of just putting all the bellhousing bolts back on and getting it nice and tight. I was able to fire up the car with no error codes present! Man is this car loud with just open headers!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Speedometer Gauge

This pretty much confirms that a E9x M3 6-speed GS6-53BZ transmission works with the E60 M5. I used the E60 M5 6-speed clutch and flywheel. Makes me wonder if the S65 flywheel and clutch would work with the S85? Even with additional electric oil pump on the passenger side of the transmission, it clears everything. I still yet have to mock up the transmission cooler lines but should have this done soon. I will be utilizing the stock E90 M3 cooler lines but I will be cutting them short and welding AN fittings to the lines to use flexible rubber hoses to a cooler up front in the bumper. I also have mocked up block off plates to delete the transmission cooler ports and the electric oil pump if you so wish to do so.

Auto part Exhaust system Automotive exhaust Tire Vehicle

The things I had to transfer over from the SMG to this transmission were the crossmember and the O2 sensor brackets. Don't forget to do this. I also ended up using the E90 M3 manual transmission harness that came with the transmission. I eliminated a few connectors such as the O2 sensors and repinned the connector to work with my wiring in the engine bay. It worked flawlessly however if you go this route, you have to disconnect the harness from the engine electronic box as its just a single harness where as the E60 M5 6-speed harness disconnected near the transmission harness on the transmission itself. If someone is interested, I have an extra E60 M5 6-speed harness for sale that I ended up not using.

More progress to come soon, this car starts and has no errors and makes me so ecstatic! I am going to be sending the driveshaft out for refurbishing and hope to have the RTD carbon shifter in soon to install. There's a video on my IG at idev_s30 if you're interested in taking a look at the swap there too. Homestretch people!

Attachments

This thread has been very, very helpful and thanks folks for answering my questions.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get the drive shaft (PN 26112283210) from? Car Parts doesn't show any. I actually told a place in CA that had it that I would take it. They said they'd take it off the car and call me back. Never called me back. When I called 2 days later, they said they sold it 2 days ago! Still getting the tranny from them, though.

The only other part I'll be missing after the driveshaft is the second half of the wiring harness, but I figured I'll just have to work around that.

Thanks.

This thread has been very, very helpful and thanks folks for answering my questions.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get the drive shaft (PN 26112283210) from? Car Parts doesn't show any. I actually told a place in CA that had it that I would take it. They said they'd take it off the car and call me back. Never called me back. When I called 2 days later, they said they sold it 2 days ago! Still getting the tranny from them, though.

The only other part I'll be missing after the driveshaft is the second half of the wiring harness, but I figured I'll just have to work around that.

Thanks.
Thankfully I had luck finding a manual shaft on eBay when I did the M5 drivetrain conversion on my E61 but since I paired it to the N54 motor I needed to add length and the shaft was rebuilt. That being said you can just buy a SMG shaft and have it lengthened/rebuilt. I paid $150 for the driveshaft on eBay and then another $600 to have it rebuilt and lengthened but I now have a brand new driveshaft, not ideal since but something to consider just make sure the shop is qualified as the BMW shafts are more involved to rebuild, not a simple cut and weld like some may think.

Thanks.

I made the second part of the harness if you’re interested in it. I used the E90 M3 transmission harness that came on my used 6-speed. Let me know if you want it and can work out a deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New clutch kit has arrived:

I must admit, I was expecting it to be bigger. Not to mention I wasn't aware the manual used a dual friction disc setup similar to the SMG.

Notice it also came with the updated style release bearing....very happy about that :)

Updated total inventment so far:

Pedal assembly: $61.39
Shifter assy: $42.16
4 Hydraulic pipes: $153.05
Transmission (Found a different transmission than originally planned): $944.00
New Clutch Kit: $400.38
New Flywheel: $449.78
EDC Buttom w/trim: $40.00
Misc. Dealer small parts/odds&ends. (Will itemize later once complete.) $37.19

=$2128.66

The only remaining part that is required to keep the car driveable is the drive shaft. The seller is local, so I'm waiting for the transmission to show up so that I can evaluate the condition of the other attached trans. parts so that I can order replacments if necessary. Once that is done, it's a trip down the road to get the drive shaft and everything goes in.

At this point, i'm shooting for next weekend for the install.
Hi Chariot
First of all thanks for making this such a comprehensive guide!
Where did you get your clutch and flywheel from for such a good price?

Thanks

Rockauto, however, it looks like they are sold out at the moment unfortunately.

Looks like spareto has them though in the 500s
Thanks it appears that they have different pricing when looking from UK £904 it comes with and they don't appear to do the clutch set.

I wonder if anyone has ever compared the flywheel to the S65 manual one? They are much more readily available in the UK as we never have the E60 M5 available in a 6 speed. I can get a lightened flywheel and clutch for the S65 cheaper than I can even get a S85 flywheel for!

I can see the S65 flywheel is slightly lighter than the S85 version going of bmwfans but does anyone know of any other differences?

I plan to use an S65 manual transmission as they are available in the uk, could I not use the S65 clutch/flywheel/release bearing and slave cylinder?

I doubt anyone has looked into the above, does anyone have measurements for the S85 flywheel?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help

I made the second part of the harness if you’re interested in it. I used the E90 M3 transmission harness that came on my used 6-speed. Let me know if you want it and can work out a deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is it a drop-in replacement? I may be interested. Can't PM you, but email me at "lsllll1" at "nvek" dot "com" please.

181 - 200 of 505 Posts