BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK see my sig for my mods.....

Given that the Kanadian dollar is at near parity with the US dollar, what other mods should I be looking at??

I am open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Easy............

Given that the Kanadian dollar is at near parity with the US dollar, what other mods should I be looking at??

Dinan "Stroker" motor. Put a deposit down. Be the first on your street to install that "bad boy".:eek:oohhh:

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
Springs and Wheels

·
Registered
2,094 Posts

I would look into some exterior mods. As someone suggested, wheels/springs also front lip (I like Hartge), rear spoiler (RD Sport has a nice one), rear diffuser, Black or CF grill and sides..... just a thought.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Get headers, H&R springs and lighter wheels (if not already). Can consider NOS kit. BTW, DRM do you know the cost of the Dinan stroker motor?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
1) Dinan front roll control kit and rear sway bar (no brainer, it's cheap!)

2) Springs (take your pick, H&R is a favorite, Dinan springs with the sway kits would be good for performance too if you didn't want to lower the car much)

3) Headers

4) ECU tuning (really necessary to get the most out of the headers)

5) New sport cat (or racing cat?) converter to go with the headers and exhaust.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
A BLOWER

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Performance:
0) BMC filters
1) Headers
2) Sports cats maybe as I haven't seen documented gains
3) H&R springs
4) NOS kit if you're crazy

Aesthetics:
0) ACS Type V
1) Vorsteiner hood. For some reason this is growing on me.

Is a tune necessary for headers?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Nope....

Get headers, H&R springs and lighter wheels (if not already). Can consider NOS kit. BTW, DRM do you know the cost of the Dinan stroker motor?
'Have no idea. Besides the rebuilt motor, 'don't know what the "pkg" will, or has to, include to achieve desired results. All I know, when I was there last December, is Steve Dinan said it will produce "at least as much power, N.A., as the S3 S/C pkg does for E39 M5". I asked him about affect on SMG and he said "no problem".

I think anybody stating what the cost might be, unless they've talked directly with Steve, is just guessing. But, given the mountain of development work going into it, you can bet it won't be inexpensive.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
1) Dinan front roll control kit and rear sway bar (no brainer, it's cheap!)
+1. Well under US$1000 and there is a noticable improvement in turn in. You have some "go faster" mods already and the remaining ones are major surgery. Why not try to bring the handling up a notch to match those improvements.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
+1. Well under US$1000 and there is a noticable improvement in turn in. You have some "go faster" mods already and the remaining ones are major surgery. Why not try to bring the handling up a notch to match those improvements.

I will raise a counter point here. I don't like playing around with M suspension. This is a tuned system.

Unless someone is going to play with spring rates, dampening, bushings, camber settings, sway bars, I wouldn't touch it.

On sway bars, I think going too aggressive is a very bad thing as it doesn't allow for proper weight transfer which doesn't allow the suspension to set.... I rather go with stiffer springs.

If I were out for handling, the tires would make the biggest difference....

Suspension mods may feel good but in many cases, it hurts performance if it is not tuned as a complete system.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
BIG BRAKE KIT!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Above then Header.

I have a chance to ride a fellow M5 member who has Dinan stage II suspension and very noticeable in cornering. Reduce understeer dramatically even with my lack of driving skill.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
T bone since you have the Dinan S/W you have kind of limited yourself. Who knows how the software will take with the headers. I would wait for the Dinan CAI if I were you. Looks like a 20-25hp gain from the Dinan whitepaper on ECU tuning Steve mentioned this.

Otherwise if the software were to work well with headers the Evosport headers with their new high-performance cats would be my 2 cents.

In addition since you have a similar set up to mine: 2006 BMW M6 Coupe + Dinan 3.91 + Dinan SW + Evosport Pulleys + SS Exhaust, I do not have the software, you may consider removing the secondary cats and replacing with straight pipe this will give you roughly another 10-20 hp. Although I do not have a dyno I think someone else posted one. It should be cheap too. Around $500 US bucks.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
T bone since you have the Dinan S/W you have kind of limited yourself. Who knows how the software will take with the headers. I would wait for the Dinan CAI if I were you. Looks like a 20-25hp gain from the Dinan whitepaper on ECU tuning Steve mentioned this.

Otherwise if the software were to work well with headers the Evosport headers with their new high-performance cats would be my 2 cents.

In addition since you have a similar set up to mine: 2006 BMW M6 Coupe + Dinan 3.91 + Dinan SW + Evosport Pulleys + SS Exhaust, I do not have the software, you may consider removing the secondary cats and replacing with straight pipe this will give you roughly another 10-20 hp. Although I do not have a dyno I think someone else posted one. It should be cheap too. Around $500 US bucks.
Hey man,

I have X pipes already and I will definitely get the Dinan CAI when it comes, so long as it does do the funny things like the K&N Typhoon.

Kinda funny.....you cannot mod a modern car with even intake kits anymore without throw computer codes....sad....

The other side of the coin is I should save my money for the Z10

1 - 20 of 23 Posts