BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of igniting the originality issue, does anyone have experience of fitting quality, performance-enhancing, manual gearboxes to the S38?

The Getrag 280 is ok but rare. Munich Legneds tell me that, contrary to BMW's chassis records my car was fitted with a ZF box. My box gives a subdued whine in all gears bar 4th, synchros are ok really.

Are there any really exciting options out there? Variable ratios, six speed, quick shifting? One of my recent cars was a RAW Striker that mated a Ford type 9 to a toyota crankcase with a modded bell housing. 'Box/ratio options were excellent and the shift was superb.

The M5 may be a bespoke "Godfather" of supersaloons, but has anyone tried other boxes?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You could get Quaife to build you any type of box you want - as long as you can afford it!

£18k for a 7 speed sequential was on offer a couple of years ago - maybe the price has dropped a little?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could get Quaife to build you any type of box you want - as long as you can afford it!

£18k for a 7 speed sequential was on offer a couple of years ago - maybe the price has dropped a little?
:eek:oohhh:

Still, put one over the E60 boys... Wonder if Quaife would do internals on the 280?

I'm a bit reluctant to buy a breaker's box, might be worse than what I've got. And £4-600 plus fitting for bearing replacement makes me think £1800 +VAT for BMW exchange box not so bad

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
The Getrag 280/5 ceased to be a production box in 1999.
The number of successful rebuilds on these boxes are decreasing.
A funtion of parts supply & labour cost.
If you can be sure that its just syncronisers, strip to replace.
Trouble is, how can you be sure that wear in other parts has not occured.
Will it even be noted by the rebuilder ?
You just never know what you might find when you open up a trannie !;)

A proper rebuild will cost £1000 plus vat.

An exchange box for £1800 plus vat !
If I were keeping the car, I know what I would do.

Farrell

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put like that, a no brainer, ta

Will run the current box till it's a bit louder then do fix it properly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts