BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Other cars you considered before the M5

5K views 44 replies 32 participants last post by  eskimo 
#1 ·
Just curious what other cars people were considering before deciding on an E39M5. I came from an E34M5 and always knew I wanted an E39 next but other cars have caught my eye from time to time. American ones if you can believe it! I like the 300c SRT-8 and also the CTS-V. I'm talking about the last gen CTS-V that's now in line with the price of an e39m5. I never drove either so I can't even comment on them much. I just like the styling and the numbers :)

What about you guys?

#2 ·
I am giving up my Ducati 998 for the E39 M5, no offense but it will barely make up for the Duc (only thing that makes it bearable is that I still have a track bike) and an STR-8 or CTS-V doesnt even come close

#5 ·
None. I am only buying the E39 because I have wanted it for a long time. Same goes for my 998 and also for my current Aprilia RS250.
Very rarely are there machines that truly stand the test of time. The newest Lexus, Cadillac, infinity etc don't attract me a bit.
There will not be another BMW 5 series like the E39 (not anytime soon) and even if there is one (say the 2011-2012 model) it will cost 3-4 times what a nice E39 M5 is going for.
To me the E39 M5 holds a very similar place to what the legendary Ducati 998 (for example) holds. Newer faster machines might hit the showroom floor, but the character of these Icons is hard to beat.

#20 ·
#11 ·
Audi RS6 (2003), RS4 (B7), Benz E55 (03-05). That was about it. I was drawn to the Audis because of AWD, and I LOVE the way the RS4 looks. The E55, well, torque, that's all I gotta say :biggrin: But there is a quality about the M5 that the others just don't, and never will, have. It's a classic, already. Plus, I saved some cash in the M5 versus the others, and that's always a positive!

#15 ·
Before purchase back in '07 and after test drives:

'07 Mitsu Evo IX
'07 Subaru Impreza STI
'06 Acura TL

I have no regrets.

Vic

#17 ·
whole bunch of stuff... another E30 M3, Mustang GT (glad I avoided that route) an M coupe, and I think an E46 was the closest contender. 4 doors, V8 torque, exclusivity and the alcantara headliner won out and I got the M5. No regrets. The E30 and M coupe are still on the list though.

#18 ·
i really wanted only an M. M Coupe, Z4m, or M5 to be specific. I did consider a 911(questionable history/flakey owner), a CTS-V(felt cheap), an Elise(vetoed by wife as mid-life crisis car), and even just dropping an LSx into an E28. (May still do a Frankenstein.)

In the end I went with the one we could carry the almost grown kids in. It's absolutely gorgeous and still has that new car smell, eight years and 110k miles later. The 5 series has always been about balancing the need for speed and the needs of a full life. The E39 M5 is the best I've seen at accomplishing this goal.

dj

#19 ·
Being my daily driver year round, I was initially only looking at AWD cars. The STI and Evo were contenders, as were S4's both B5 and B6. Not gonna lie, the thought of owning one of the SRT8 Jeep's crossed my mind (for a split second).

Then I realized none of those would satisfy me the way an E39 M5 would (I was lusting over them since they were new) and decided I could get by with a set of dedicated snow tires. Absolutely no regrets, never looked back!

#21 ·
My other choice was E46 M3 and i think i still want that car someday. Not planning to sell the M5 though. It would be nice to own both M3 and M5:wroom:

#22 ·
I was considering an e39 540i sport or an e38 740i sport for a big car, and an e36 M or a Mini Cooper if I want to go small.
I also test drove an 04 E55, and a C32 ( I guess it was an 05 ) and was not attracted to neither of them. The C amg was almost new , mind I was shopping more than 3.5 years ago.

#25 ·
I considered the E46 M3 and did drive one.. decided against it because of size (too small) and it did not have knockout punch from low rpms like the E39 M5.. I also considered RX7 and Supra turbo.. very nice cars (nimble, light and with mods can destroy lots of cars out there) but usable 2 seat config is not going to work if you have family plus too many speeding tickets.. :biggrin: the turbo and rx7 are built for only one purpose.. you will have hard time getting out of speeding tickets..

The M is a perfect balance of luxury, comfort and power albeit, subtle.. you can carry your family to where they need to go, drop them off and hammer the car into the next med-high speed corners at triple digit speeds with ease.. plus when you get caught speeding, you got the child seat in the car and understated performance to get you off.. sometimes.. :thumbsup:

#28 · (Edited)
Interesting that I can say I have considered most of the same cars as you guys. E55, S4, S8, 740i Sport, etc. I even like the styling of that SRT8 Jeep! Although I would never buy one. I respect the performance of the Japanese sports car market but most of them lack the interior quality and feel a bit too "boy-racer" to me. Maybe I'm getting old lol. The M3 is a great car but loses in one major category for me. Exclusivity. Also considered a Volvo V70 R...Oh and I always wanted a 928 S4!

#29 ·
I test drove an '00 E55 after I ordered my '00 M5 - the Benz was nice but it had an automatic gearbox which would best be described as impotent, and I am being kind in saying that.

I hope I do not have to replace the M5 anytime soon, but the contenders would be a V8 M3, a C63 AMG, or a new Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

#30 ·
I did not have a need for a 4-door, so I was looking at the Honda S2000 (AP1) and first-gen Boxster S. I had driven S2000s before and still love them, but it was too similar to my modified Integra (peaky powerband, spartan interior, etc). The Boxster S was good but just didn't feel like it was worth nearly twice as much as the S2000. A few hours after test driving the Boxster S though, I drove an E39 M5 (which was my front-runner anyway) and was immediately in love. For a guy who is usually disappointed after test drives, I was just blown away by the blend of power and comfort, all with a style and soul that hooks you immediately. Had to have one.

#31 ·
I wanted four doors, manual, 300+HP, AWD/RWD. Looked at WRX STI, Lancer Evo, and considered the CTS-V.

WRX STI - nice car, but the interior is not up to par for $40k and that spoiler....
Evo - still hesitant after a 92 Gallant I owned (POS), and again the spoiler....
CTS-V - nice effort for GM, but not as nice and I don't trust GM after childhood roadside nightmares

In a brand new car I toyed with the Mazda Speed 3, doesn't meet my requirements, but a great deal and fun to drive.

#32 ·
my criteria for a car was:

RWD
4 doors (did not really have to have 4 doors but needed room to take the kids on a family road trip)
manual trans
lots of HP

I do like the SRT8 vehicles and would have considered one (Jeep, magnum or 300) but none of those came with manual trans and the SRT8 Challenger is just too pricey right now for what you get.

- the CTS-V fits the above but it feels cheap on the inside and has the typical GM rattles.
- the G8 was another option but hard as heck to find one with a manual and its a pricey car for what feels so cheap. ( the one I say at the auto show already had a rattle when you closed the door)

I always liked the E46 M3 so there really was no other option other then an E39 M5 for me. it is the perfect car that fits all my needs/wants.

#35 · (Edited)
The alternatives I considered were:

E46 M3
E39 530i / 540i (great cars but I decided that I really wanted something quicker)
Merc E55 AMG
Porsche 911
Audi RS6
Subaru STi / Evo

The M5 was my immediate favourite; I tried one first and didn't bother driving the other cars. It was absolutely what I was looking for.

#36 ·
I had to have 4 doors with an incoming son. The only other cars I considered were preowned Cayenne Turbos, S4 Avants (I think the sedan is the absolute most boring car ever produced visually) and an Active Autowerke Supercharded 528 touring.

I still slighty regret not buying the touring.......

#37 ·
Supercharge the M :D

#39 ·
Considered:

NSX - Because its rare and I've always liked them. Decided against it due to the lack of power and having a two seater truck and sportbike. Hard to justify another 2 seater with a family of 4 at the time.

Porsche 996 - Test drove but didn't really care for it too much. Old dude that owned it was pretty strict on my test drive. I was a little disappointed and felt I would only be happy with the turbo. Unfortunately, that was out of my $$ range back then.

E39 M5 - Owned a 540 6spd but I wanted the M. Bought it from a board member and it has been the best car I've ever owned. Powerful, timeless and never disappoints. Yeah...she begs for attention every once in a while, but after 4 years...she's a keeper. I still may get a NSX or the 996 Turbo later but it will be added to the stable. No plans on replacing the M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.