BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what other cars people were considering before deciding on an E39M5. I came from an E34M5 and always knew I wanted an E39 next but other cars have caught my eye from time to time. American ones if you can believe it! I like the 300c SRT-8 and also the CTS-V. I'm talking about the last gen CTS-V that's now in line with the price of an e39m5. I never drove either so I can't even comment on them much. I just like the styling and the numbers :)

What about you guys?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Just curious what other cars people were considering before deciding on an E39M5. I came from an E34M5 and always knew I wanted an E39 next but other cars have caught my eye from time to time. American ones if you can believe it! I like the 300c SRT-8 and also the CTS-V. I'm talking about the last gen CTS-V that's now in line with the price of an e39m5. I never drove either so I can't even comment on them much. I just like the styling and the numbers :)

What about you guys?

I am giving up my Ducati 998 for the E39 M5, no offense but it will barely make up for the Duc (only thing that makes it bearable is that I still have a track bike) and an STR-8 or CTS-V doesnt even come close

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, what other cars were you interested in?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was looking for a Corvette Z06 (C5) or a BMW e46 M3...who would've guessed the M5 was the cheapest? ?????? But awesome car, nevertheless! I hope I have it for a great amount of time!!

Ryan

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Sorry, what other cars were you interested in?
None. I am only buying the E39 because I have wanted it for a long time. Same goes for my 998 and also for my current Aprilia RS250.
Very rarely are there machines that truly stand the test of time. The newest Lexus, Cadillac, infinity etc don't attract me a bit.
There will not be another BMW 5 series like the E39 (not anytime soon) and even if there is one (say the 2011-2012 model) it will cost 3-4 times what a nice E39 M5 is going for.
To me the E39 M5 holds a very similar place to what the legendary Ducati 998 (for example) holds. Newer faster machines might hit the showroom floor, but the character of these Icons is hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None. I am only buying the E39 because I have wanted it for a long time. Same goes for my 998 and also for my current Aprilia RS250.
Very rarely are there machines that truly stand the test of time. The newest Lexus, Cadillac, infinity etc don't attract me a bit.
There will not be another BMW 5 series like the E39 (not anytime soon) and even if there is one (say the 2011-2012 model) it will cost 3-4 times what a nice E39 M5 is going for.
To me the E39 M5 holds a very similar place to what the legendary Ducati 998 (for example) holds. Newer faster machines might hit the showroom floor, but the character of these Icons is hard to beat.
Thank you for the information about your motorbikes and what cars you don't like. However, as the title states I'm really only curious about what other cars people considered before they picked up the E39M5.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Thank you for the information about your motorbikes and what cars you don't like. However, as the title states I'm really only curious about what other cars people considered before they picked up the E39M5.
Sorry I didn't mean to ignore your question or ramble on. I was just trying to explain my logic for choosing the E39.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Choosing the E39M5 needs no explaining my friend!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Audi RS4 (B7) and BMW M3 Comp Sport (E46).

Paid less and got a lot better car in my opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Audi RS6 (2003), RS4 (B7), Benz E55 (03-05). That was about it. I was drawn to the Audis because of AWD, and I LOVE the way the RS4 looks. The E55, well, torque, that's all I gotta say :biggrin: But there is a quality about the M5 that the others just don't, and never will, have. It's a classic, already. Plus, I saved some cash in the M5 versus the others, and that's always a positive!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Audi RS6 (2003), RS4 (B7), Benz E55 (03-05). That was about it. I was drawn to the Audis because of AWD, and I LOVE the way the RS4 looks. The E55, well, torque, that's all I gotta say :biggrin: But there is a quality about the M5 that the others just don't, and never will, have. It's a classic, already. Plus, I saved some cash in the M5 versus the others, and that's always a positive!
Rear wheel drive and manual!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Before purchase back in '07 and after test drives:

'07 Mitsu Evo IX
'07 Subaru Impreza STI
'06 Acura TL

I have no regrets.

Vic

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
whole bunch of stuff... another E30 M3, Mustang GT (glad I avoided that route) an M coupe, and I think an E46 was the closest contender. 4 doors, V8 torque, exclusivity and the alcantara headliner won out and I got the M5. No regrets. The E30 and M coupe are still on the list though.

·
Registered
797 Posts
i really wanted only an M. M Coupe, Z4m, or M5 to be specific. I did consider a 911(questionable history/flakey owner), a CTS-V(felt cheap), an Elise(vetoed by wife as mid-life crisis car), and even just dropping an LSx into an E28. (May still do a Frankenstein.)

In the end I went with the one we could carry the almost grown kids in. It's absolutely gorgeous and still has that new car smell, eight years and 110k miles later. The 5 series has always been about balancing the need for speed and the needs of a full life. The E39 M5 is the best I've seen at accomplishing this goal.

dj

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,698 Posts
Being my daily driver year round, I was initially only looking at AWD cars. The STI and Evo were contenders, as were S4's both B5 and B6. Not gonna lie, the thought of owning one of the SRT8 Jeep's crossed my mind (for a split second).

Then I realized none of those would satisfy me the way an E39 M5 would (I was lusting over them since they were new) and decided I could get by with a set of dedicated snow tires. Absolutely no regrets, never looked back!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts