BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
JC tries to get round in a Jag in under 10 mins. For those interested it should be reasonable viewing, provided you can stomach him. I can block him out and will enjoy a small NS fix.

Cheers

·
Registered
757 Posts
kevinpayneuk said:
JC tries to get round in a Jag in under 10 mins. For those interested it should be reasonable viewing, provided you can stomach him. I can block him out and will enjoy a small NS fix.

Cheers
Right, 2005 is the year I'm going to drive on the ring...

I thought right at the very end, Sabine was going to do a "quick" lap in the beast, but it wasn't to be.

Well worth staying in on a Sunday night to see all the same
cherrsagai

·
Registered
271 Posts
well, i suppose i need to go buy another e34 m5 and hump it round the ring - just to show up J Clarkson. mind you- the "*****" done OK. not as good as in her M5 though

lovelove :noSMG: lovelove

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Well it was a Jag and a cat weasel one at that. :happybirt

slower than slow on a slow day :hihi: :hihi:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Steve Mac said:
Well it was a Jag and a cat weasel one at that. :happybirt

slower than slow on a slow day :hihi: :hihi:
I know the Producer who worked with Clarkson at Pebble Mill for many years. He is actually an alright bloke in 'real' life and when the cameras arn't running.

Still, what top gear did reveal tonight was that absolute NONE of the team can drive quickly or properly on tracks which throws their judegment on their reviews of the uber cars into question.

Entertaining programme though.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
M5 powered said:
I know the Producer who worked with Clarkson at Pebble Mill for many years. He is actually an alright bloke in 'real' life and when the cameras arn't running.

Still, what top gear did reveal tonight was that absolute NONE of the team can drive quickly or properly on tracks which throws their judegment on their reviews of the uber cars into question.

Entertaining programme though.
Hi jonathon

ALL remarks are about the car and not the big guy :M5thumbs:

Met him at wood lane and he was friendly :M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:

Managed 9.35 BTG on my first trip to the ring so not dissappointed with sabine
:M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Proves what we've known all along:

1. Clarkson doesn't really know that much about cars.

2. Clarkson can't drive quickly.

(Not saying he isn't a nice bloke off screen tho)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I expected a bit of chatter here on the Top Gear article, nobody notice the e34M5 getting overtaken?, no doubt on a cool down lap!!.
BUT what I want to know is - What's a good m5 time round the godfather of all circuits and whens a good time to go - looked pretty busy on Top Gear.
I thought AndyE would be one of the first on this thread with said information. I'm sure the info will be on the board.. too lazy to search.
cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Phlem5 said:
You rang?!

I was there that weekend. The article on TG wasn't bad. We knew that JC wouldn't be posting any BTG records in that weekend, but remember that experience is ultra-valuable at the Ring.

I saw the chap in that E34 M5.

I've never timed a lap accurately, for lots of reasons. Partially because I don't want to storm around with a red-mist clock ticking and make a careless mistake, but with my limited experience of four trips this year, I've managed a couple of (roughly timed laps) at under 9m.

Much of the time, on a TF day, you're lucky to get a lap with no problems with traffic, or accidents, or rain. If you can get a 9m lap, you should be chuffed to bits!

It's nice to be able to try to improve lines, tidy your technique, find where you're braking too hard and find where you're lifting when there's no need. That's what I'll be working on in 2005. I'll be back next at Easter, a quality four-day weekend. What you saw was only a normal level of activity; it's usually that busy unless the weather is crap.

JC is certainly a nice bloke. He was approachable and pleasant, even when we met him at the Pistenklause (the restaurant you saw him in with the map) in the evening.

Here are two of my friends that weekend, in the car park. "Go on, give 'er a cuddle".

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I think the lap record for a standard e34 M5 is 8:34 - can't find the website that had all the info on anymore though!

BTW the e39 did it in 8:28 and the e60 did it in 8:13

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
E39 only 6 seconds quicker? Would have thought it would be a fair bit quicker, but 6 seconds over 13+ miles is nowt really is it?
Could be different drivers, conditions or anything really!

It would be good to see how fast Sabine is/was in each generation of the M5 Ring Taxi!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Nice work Andy, you should have got clarkson to have a go in your car and tried to blag a run round the TG track against the stig.
One thing missing from your picture though....
cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Re the E39 point;

My brother (Ben) and I attend the Ring together. He has an e39 M5.

His M5 has more grunt out of Bergwerk and AF, but that's about the only places I notice a difference.

There's never much in it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts