BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered a brand new 2005 X5 4.8is.. I stopped in to my nearby dealer and saw a black on black 4.8 X5 and decided, just for kicks, to go for a test drive to see what the hype is all about.

Suffice to say it is is like my wife's X5 3.0 on steroids.

Now, I do not need it, will put a mere 5,000 miles per year on it, but it comes at a decent discount to msrp (most sell at sticker) and will be a toy to tool around in at best....

Questions: Do I take it? and if so, do I lease or buy it?

Constructive comments will be most appreciated..

P.S. Need to tell dealer by Monday to release the vehicle to the mainstream public....

Thank you in advance.....

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I don't understand...did I miss something? Why are you being offered this deal? Is the dealer trying to make up for something that they did or are you just that good of a customer???

Are you looking to replace your wife's X5 with this one or is it purely another toy?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked the same questions. Dealer goofed, has had the car in inventory and "forgot" about it. Costs money to hold, '06's are on the way and I gues having bought 4 BMW's in 4 years might qualify me as a good customer.

No, Wife's X5 is staying.. This would be just a toy...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
M Power said:
I asked the same questions. Dealer goofed, has had the car in inventory and "forgot" about it. Costs money to hold, '06's are on the way and I gues having bought 4 BMW's in 4 years might qualify me as a good customer.

No, Wife's X5 is staying.. This would be just a toy...
I would NOT touch the car. With model year 2006 around the corner, you are in essence buying a one year old car from the dealer. Ask the dealer when the car was "punched.". You have a reamining warranty from the date the car was "punched" (aka in service warranty) not from the date the car was sold.
Also, keep in mind, while This 4.8 is producing 355 hp, for model year 2006 the 4.4L engine will be upgraded to the 5.0L engine making 367 hp.
Any way I look at it, with the disount they are offering you it would not be worth it, unless it is $10,000 off sticker, which is possible but not likely

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I agree- I would skip it. Its a great car, and if you were looking for a replacement to the 3.0, this + snow wheels & tires for the winter would be a good match.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car has not been punched .. and like I say it would be no replacement for anything, just a toy..
That said, you have all basically voiced my feelings... the discount is $8k... and I believe I could squeeze a set of winter wheels and tires from the dealer although that has not been discussed.
My only real concern is how much do I get caned on resale when the new model is out... and what will the new model offer aside from more bhp..? Unknowns at this point...

Thanks guys... very helpful..

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Andre....first off....WRONG FORUM you old bat!

HA HA...other than that, I wouldnt take it. Sure the IS is a great truck but you already have an Xplatform in the garage and you and I both know that Pcars and Cobras are what you dream of...not SUV's.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I wouldnt do it, as you said its not replacing anything, you estimate that you will probably only drive it 5000 a year, just my perspective, but why would you spend the money, if the 30isk k in your pocket is burning a whole in your pocket try something new, like a used 02, 03 corvette Z06, they are in the 30's and I owned one before the M5 and I thought it was fun. or better yet by a rental property or mod one of your current cars, but dont buy a brand new car that you do not need just because the dealer made you their go-to man, you have helped them out with 4 cars already, JMHO, Josh

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
This is a bit like buying something on sale you never thought you wanted just because it is marked down.

It happens to everybody who shop, but not on this monetary scale.

As they say in the investment community: A Tip is a Tap.

David

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
davem3smg said:
I agree with the above. If you need an SUV or are replacing your wife's, why not get a fun one like the 4.8 IS, but if you don't need an SUV, I think you can find more fun ways to spend the money.
Yeah, like this for example (http://1gracing.com/m12.html). A great toy IMHO, and not insanely expensive. About the same as the X5 w/o the discount, I believe.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
doug said:
Yeah, like this for example (http://1gracing.com/m12.html). A great toy IMHO, and not insanely expensive. About the same as the X5 w/o the discount, I believe.
Hey Doug.. long time....

Yeah, I love the Noble... but if it comes to cash like that I will rather spend the money on a AC Cobra replica ..

Take care ...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
DavidS said:
This is a bit like buying something on sale you never thought you wanted just because it is marked down.

It happens to everybody who shop, but not on this monetary scale.

As they say in the investment community: A Tip is a Tap.

David
It's like coupons. You buy more and end up spending more if you used coupons than if you didn't. If the old X5 isn't getting replaced, I'd use the money elsewhere, like on the M5.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't know of an X5 that costs $75 - 100k.

Remember, the Noble comes without an engine...that's why the price shows $59k.

Great car. They have one for sale here in PHX. They want $100k and it is used...and it's an M12 no thte M400!

doug said:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
SCORPIO said:
I don't know of an X5 that costs $75 - 100k.

Remember, the Noble comes without an engine...that's why the price shows $59k.

Great car. They have one for sale here in PHX. They want $100k and it is used...and it's an M12 no thte M400!
Messing w/ the car configurator adding a few options to the X5 4.8 I ended up around $76k MSRP. For the Noble I was using 1Gracing's typical range of $79-87k for a complete package. A $100k for a used M12 seems way out of line by comparison-- can't say why it should be so much.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
because its a kit car that has a very long lead time...so people are willing to pay more for a completed car to get it now than one that is going to take a while.

Same reason why Carerra GT's and Ford Gt's were going for more used than new a while back.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Hi Andre,

You might want to PM Terk, he has one and could perhaps provide another perspective. Good luck with whatever you decide to to!

:byebye:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks guys... the only way I could really justify this impromptuous decision would be if I could twist my wife's arm to trade her X5 3.0 in against this 4.8. As has been mentioned by non other than Rob himself, I already have the X platform, why have 2?

Well, cooler heads than mine prevailed. I am going to pass on this steroid laden X5 and keep my sights set on a true toy.. at this stage it looks like that might well be a 997 S... but since I seem to change my mind on cars about as often as my 1 yr old daughter needs to change her diapers, I think that too may be a moving target. ...

As an after thought, there is a Silver on black E39 Mr on ebay with 2,500 miles. 2003 model (collectors car?) going for $68,000 as I recall. I might well have to keep that in mind too... see, there I go again.. I need to win the lottery!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Andre,

I like your steroid laden description of the X5, good call. The 4.8 is definitely a toy and alot of fun to drive but after 9 months I think it is more toy and less a daily driver....at least for me, my 4.4 earns that honour. The 4.8 really compliments the M5 nicely but it's not a four seasons vehicle without the winter boots. From a resale standpoint, I think the values of the 4.8 will get hit hard as the new models are rolled out and the new V8 becomes available.

:thumbsup: on the 997S idea, I'm driving one next week and that will open a whole new can of worms ;)

ELEVENS said:
You might want to PM Terk, he has one and could perhaps provide another perspective. Good luck with whatever you decide to to!
:byebye:
Hey Bill, thanks for thinking of me. How have you been and how is your LeMans beast?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts