BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems a bit slow around these parts so i thought i'd post about the car we just bought for my wife to replace her aging saab 9-5.

first all foremost this isn't your typical 'tree hugger' subaru....the car is quick with the boxer turbo engine, handles pretty well and is (imo) pleasing to the eye both inside and out. for the money (high $20's fully loaded) i think it's a good value these days in a sport wagon. the only thing you can't get is built in nav and i'm going to get her the new lowrance with 10gb storage for data and another 10gb storage for mp3's.

we needed a car with some versatility as my wife has a new business (commercial embroidery/screen printing), hence the wagon. we found the subi to be nicely put together with very good long term reliability, something we didn't get with the saab. the other big selling point is that the wagon has an enourmous sunroof, opens up the both rows of seats. only issue so far is seat comfort for her...she has a huge problem finding seats she likes...

anyway, here are a few pix of the car on day one:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
cohenfive said:
it seems a bit slow around these parts so i thought i'd post about the car we just bought for my wife to replace her aging saab 9-5.

first all foremost this isn't your typical 'tree hugger' subaru....the car is quick with the boxer turbo engine, handles pretty well and is (imo) pleasing to the eye both inside and out. for the money (high $20's fully loaded) i think it's a good value these days in a sport wagon. the only thing you can't get is built in nav and i'm going to get her the new lowrance with 10gb storage for data and another 10gb storage for mp3's.

we needed a car with some versatility as my wife has a new business (commercial embroidery/screen printing), hence the wagon. we found the subi to be nicely put together with very good long term reliability, something we didn't get with the saab. the other big selling point is that the wagon has an enourmous sunroof, opens up the both rows of seats. only issue so far is seat comfort for her...she has a huge problem finding seats she likes...

anyway, here are a few pix of the car on day one:
looks pretty nice.. do they sell the 3.0 version in US? is it automatic, your car? what problems did you have with the saab?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It is a good value...and pleasing to the eye. I was actually pricing out the Legacy GT this morning for the wife. Most certainly better gas mileage than the SUV we have. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taipan said:
looks pretty nice.. do they sell the 3.0 version in US? is it automatic, your car? what problems did you have with the saab?
we got an auto for her. has a nice sport mode and sport stick which probably won't get used much but really quickens the car. in the states subi does sell the 3.0 v6 but not in the legacy. the legacy gt has the 4 cylinder boxer turbo which has 250hp and 250 lb torque, faster than the 3.0....

only issue we're having is the comfort of the front seats which is tough for my wife. we'll keep working and will hopefully get her dialed in.

as for the saab, we've had a bunch of little stuff (lights, display, etc) but the drivetrain seems like it will last until 200k miles. my wife's new business needs the added flexibility of the wagon.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
ok. funny about the different specs rof different countries.. over here they sell it wihtout turbos, with 2.0i , 2.5i and two versions of 3.0i which the other one is a manual ;) I was going to go test drive it the other day with the 3l manual, but had work stuff to annoy me. . are the seats sport type or normal? I hope you can get the seat feeling good for the missus. it can be tough sometimes...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Taipan said:
ok. funny about the different specs rof different countries.. over here they sell it wihtout turbos, with 2.0i , 2.5i and two versions of 3.0i which the other one is a manual ;) I was going to go test drive it the other day with the 3l manual, but had work stuff to annoy me. . are the seats sport type or normal? I hope you can get the seat feeling good for the missus. it can be tough sometimes...
the seats are definitely a sports type. i've been conversing over at legacygt.com and the only people (other than my wife) who have found the seats uncomfortable have been very tall people.

my wife's problem with the seat seems to be that the seat cushion won't lay as 'flat' as the one in her saab. this means she is a bit tilted back which puts pressure on the back into the back cushion. for normal folks no issue as it's pretty subtle (i like the seat but am not that picky) but for her it's not as comfy as the saab seat. not good.... :eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Fyi:
All the subi engines are boxter, even the 6 cyc 3.0

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Aviator said:
Fyi:
All the subi engines are boxter, even the 6 cyc 3.0

????

TO my knowledge no word otherwise has been said? what I said is over here they sell 2.0i, 2.5i and 3.0i without turbos= naturally aspirated. 137hp, 165hp and 245hp respectively. I am very well aware all subarus are boxer..

cohenfive: have you had any results trying to get the seat better? I guess one way to solve it would be to put a small pillow under, but it really isn't a real solution to the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts