BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I am not reporting a “kill.” Rather, something most bizarre occurred a couple of days ago. I was driving alone in the rightmost lane on the freeway at normal speed when, without any warning, my passenger window literally exploded sending glass pieces both inside and out of the car. It was so loud and violent that my right ear rang for the next hour and the inside of the car was covered with glass. I was unharmed and the only real damage was the lost window.

However, the brand new black C32 AMG behind me did not fare quite so well. Approximately half of my window burst outward and showered him with bits of glass causing numerous scratches in the paint and dings in the windshield. The damage was considerable. He was very unhappy about it, and while I was very sympathetic, there was nothing I could do. I gave him my insurance information, but am frankly skeptical whether they will pay him anything since liability, per my understanding, normally requires some misdeed or negligence.

It is still a mystery what caused this to happen. The prevailing theory is that a rock bounced down the freeway, hit the inside of the right-hand mirror casing, and bounced into the window. There is a paint chip in the mirror shell, but it is very small, and it does not seem plausible that the impact of rock big or fast enough to cause that much impact would only produce a 2mm-sized paint chip. The dealer who will be fixing the window will look through the glass debris for an object that could have caused this.

Thankfully, I did not have any of my family riding with me. I now have a Z4 loaner as it gets repaired, and drives better than I expected. While it is a lowly 2.5 with an (yuck!) auto, the handling is quite decent.

Tom

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had a similar incident in my M5. While driving to work one morning on I78 my passenger window shattered without warning. It gets your attention pretty quick. I am still not sure what caused it to go. The car was only a couple of months at the time so maybe it had a defect.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Wow, that sucks, glad to hear you are ok.

Its weird, but it actually takes very little force to break side glass if the object is dense enough and has the right shape. It could also be that the window was already stressed and something like a rock was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I also doubt your insurance will do much for the guy. Its like a rock hitting a car on the highway, how do you prove where the rock came from? In your case, it is glass, but what caused your glass to break? I wouldn't be surprised if they told him to hit the road.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could see liability from a part falling off due to inadequate maintenance or if I used my M3 to haul gravel that was not sufficiently secured, but this is something more analogous to getting hit by a meteorite. I don't see liability unless there is statutory liability defined extremely broadly, e.g., liable for anything coming from your car regardless of cause. I doubt this.

Tom

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't think it was cause by a rock. I've seen this happen in convertible due to the chassi bend after hitting a big pothole or something simmilar and the pressure againts the top makes the windows shatter. Again, it does not take a lot of force to Make the side windows break. this usually happens to convertible because there is more body flex on a droptop chassis. This is my theory anyways:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dirkies said:
I know why.... a wacko sniper hidden in a bush next to the highway !!! :confused3 ouich
:wroom: ...and the wacko sniper was jelous cause you drive the ultimate driving maschine...:M5launch:

Glad to hear you are OK:cheers:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The road was smooth, the speeds were moderate (especially for me), there was no unusual wind buffeting, and there was no exit bullet hole (we check for this in Texas ;-).

I too thought about the convertible window possibly undergoing tortional stress, but the speed, wind, etc. mentioned above don't add up with this. Also the window is completely supported from the inside. The event was completely unexpected and I still have no good theory.

A kid with a professional-grade slingshot and ball bearing would explain it, but I don't recall anyone anywhere outside near the freeway. It's still a mystery.

Tom

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm really glad that everyone is OK, but I can't help but chuckle that the "victim" was an AMG car!! With all the cars on the road, it had to be a benz. You do know that MB has much better glass than BMW, right? hiha

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was not only an AMG car, but a new one, black, and absolutely spotless. It was owned by a manager of a Jaguar dealership.

Tom

·
Registered
816 Posts
bernhtp said:
. I gave him my insurance information, but am frankly skeptical whether they will pay him anything since liability, per my understanding, normally requires some misdeed or negligence.

Tom
Glad to see you're well. Not sure how the insurance laws are in the U.S. But if it can't be proven that either the BMW window was at fault or some external event (rock, kid with sling shot etc.), then it probably falls back on you. As (probably) you buy motor third party property damage insurance, that should cover you because the AMG guy will sue your insurance company as per usual.

In theory, if all the broken glass can be pieced together, it should be possible to establish how the window broke. The impact fracture caused by a rock force will look different to that caused by structural stress.

·
Registered
434 Posts
M6 Forever said:
Glad to see you're well. Not sure how the insurance laws are in the U.S. But if it can't be proven that either the BMW window was at fault or some external event (rock, kid with sling shot etc.), then it probably falls back on you. As (probably) you buy motor third party property damage insurance, that should cover you because the AMG guy will sue your insurance company as per usual.

In theory, if all the broken glass can be pieced together, it should be possible to establish how the window broke. The impact fracture caused by a rock force will look different to that caused by structural stress.
In Canada if you hit a rock on the road or a rock bounces off the road and hits your car it is considered a collision and your collisioin coverage covers it - it's considered an accident on your record though. If a rock or other object comes off another vehicle and hits your car without hitting the road first then it's covered by your comprehensive coverage and hence no impact to your coverage or rates. If you got hit by a rock from a dump truck your insurance could then sue the truck operator. I presume the same applies here as the glass left your car and hit the other. His insurance company could go after yours - however if you took off and he couldn't catch you ;) then his comprehensive would cover him.

Oh, and contrary to your post I consider this a great "kill":hihi:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
This reminds me when my parents had a weird incident years agon in their full sized van. A tree limb fell during a big storm and hit the side of their van while driving at 60 mph. The front passenger door window and middle door window were blown out with glass shattering throughout the van and the front door post was crushed in 3 inches! A split second different in time would have allowed the limb to hit a window and not the post likely killing my mother or younger sister. The worst they got was little cuts from the glass.

·
Registered
39 Posts
bernhtp said:
It was not only an AMG car, but a new one, black, and absolutely spotless. It was owned by a manager of a Jaguar dealership.

Tom
This is his punishment for not driving a Jaguar.:nono:

I'm just kidding!:byee55amg

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I'm guessing a high powered BB gun or a slingshot. There are some odd people out there in this world, and that makes a lot more sense then chassis flex or a defect. That's pretty darn scary, and good luck with all the insurance.
:cheers:

·
Registered
764 Posts
bernhtp said:
The road was smooth, the speeds were moderate (especially for me), there was no unusual wind buffeting, and there was no exit bullet hole (we check for this in Texas ;-).

I too thought about the convertible window possibly undergoing tortional stress, but the speed, wind, etc. mentioned above don't add up with this. Also the window is completely supported from the inside. The event was completely unexpected and I still have no good theory.

A kid with a professional-grade slingshot and ball bearing would explain it, but I don't recall anyone anywhere outside near the freeway. It's still a mystery.

Tom[/QUOTE
Tom,

It wasn't so long ago that they corralled those losers in northern VA shooting at innocents at gas stations, etc.
I would alert the fuzz and let them stay busy investigating that incident instead of taking radar readings!!
Also, a high-velocity or frangible slug might not leave an exit hole. Not like I have inside knowledge about this kind of thing.......... hmmm :1:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Has it happened to anyone else on that stretch of road?

Regardless, glad to hear that nobody was hurt... it sounds scary hmmm

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
actually i've seen that before... bodyflex... stiff cars have very tight assembly tolerances... however, on the same token it takes very little flex to stress a window significantly... but it has to be the right phase of the moon too...

glad you are ok and the merc owner didnt get a heart attack..

alex
few cars

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is funny. I lost a sunroof the in the same way on my C32. It just exploded form inside out.

I was coming back from Vegas, 140 mph on the speedo, 110F outside and 70F inside. Apparently a known MB sunroof problem. They had two other C-classes in the shop with the same problem. Dealer replaced it under warranty.

No one was behind me, but it scared the hell out of me. It was like someone firing a gun next to your ear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts