BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For service, my dealer (1 hr 45 min away) picks up my car and drops off a loaner, well my M5 needed its yearly oil change so ...
dealer sends a car to my house, driver decides to relieve himself in the woods near my home, finds he has locked the car (a new 525) with it running, its now around 9 am.
He walks to nearest house, calls my wife, who then drives to the neighbors and picks him up. A flurry of calls ensues, my wife tells dealership that can do whatever they want with the loaner as we don't really need it.
He drives my car back to dealership. I call them and talk with my SA, tell him to do what ever is best for them. They decide to let it run out of gas and pick it up tomorrow.
I get home from work around 8P, its still at the entrance to my area, running strong.
Go home, help wife with kids. About 9 P, knock at the door. 3 WV State Troopers.
They are concerned about foul play, bomb squad has been called, Dog has sniffed car, they have opened it and found a clipboard with my name and address on it.
Troopers not sure why I get a brand new BMW loaner, and then don't care about it being locked and running.

Well anyhow, eventually they believe me, they give me a lift to the car, and I drive it home (still has 1/2 a tank of gas).

Called dealership and told them don't worry, State troopers, bomb squad and dog have cleared his vehicle, and it is now safe in my garage.

By the way, when do I get mine back
hiha

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hilarious!! :1:

Makes you wonder how long a tank of gas would last with the engine running at idle?!

Mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ridgeback_Pilot said:
Hilarious!! :1:

Makes you wonder how long a tank of gas would last with the engine running at idle?!

Mike
That amazed me too. They drove 100 miles, then it idled for 12 hrs. Guess the 525 get a little better mileage than my 4.9 V8

·
Banned
386 Posts
lmao

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
:7: Craaazy... Everbody think a bit too much of terrorism hmmm

I think idling takes around 0.5 liters / hour. I think this is possibler to see on the on board computers hidden features activated.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Thats great story! You should send that to ROUNDEL.

I can't get over the fact that a dealer will bring you a loaner when yours goes in for an oil change? Around here, thats a 2 week appointment to bring it in and you can wait or make your own arrangements as loaners aren't provided for oil changes.

You have it made in West Virginia

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aussie2U said:

I can't get over the fact that a dealer will bring you a loaner when yours goes in for an oil change? Around here, thats a 2 week appointment to bring it in and you can wait or make your own arrangements as loaners aren't provided for oil changes.

Not only do they pick up the car for any service, for as long as I own the car, they even delivered the car when I bought it. I have only been to my dealership once, and that was when I test drove a M5. Customer service really does exist in this neck of the woods.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
They are concerned about foul play, bomb squad has been called, Dog has sniffed car, they have opened it and found a clipboard with my name and address on it.
Troopers not sure why I get a brand new BMW loaner, and then don't care about it being locked and running.
hiha :hihi:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Aussie2U said:

My dealer in Minnesota is the same way for any vehicle service - love this perk. Among all the customer service perks, my personal favorite is airport valet service. Nothing like returning from a trip to have the beast waiting for the drive home!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Gustav said:
I think idling takes around 0.5 liters / hour.
Really?! That seems low to me. My Cessna 210 burns around 2 gallons per hour at idle power. And it's only a six cylinder engine. The cylinders are huge by comparison, however, and it puts out 310 HP. Still, I would have thought the E39 M5 engine would burn more than a pint of gasoline an hour at idle.

Mike

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ridgeback_Pilot said:
Really?! That seems low to me. My Cessna 210 burns around 2 gallons per hour at idle power. And it's only a six cylinder engine. The cylinders are huge by comparison, however, and it puts out 310 HP. Still, I would have thought the E39 M5 engine would burn more than a pint of gasoline an hour at idle.

Mike
Don't know for sure, but afaik a plane's propellor doesn't use a clutch.. so while a plane is idling, it still has to turn the propellor through the air, although at low speed. A car that is idling only has to turn the alternator, A/C pump if it is on, some other small stuff, and the flywheel. Those don't take a whole lot of power, at least a lot less than a propellor. Also, I guess car engine's are much more geared to efficiency due to stringent emission regulations etc..

Funny story nonetheless!

Cheers,

Gerrit

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ridgeback_Pilot said:

Mike
It was a new 525 that was idling, my guess is the M5 would burn a bit more gas.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Funny :blabla:
I just hope you don't get a bill in the mail for the bomb squad dispatch.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
rosenc;
Great story! I guess the WV State Troopers are on the lookout for suspicious BMWs. What dealership and where in WV do you live?
I am originally from Wheeling and just happen to be spending time there with family this week.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Richard in NC said:
rosenc;
Great story! I guess the WV State Troopers are on the lookout for suspicious BMWs. What dealership and where in WV do you live?
I am originally from Wheeling and just happen to be spending time there with family this week.
I live in Morgantown and work at the University, the Dealership (first class despite this snafu) is in Johnstown PA.

I'll be in Wheeling from Thur-Sun providing Neurosurgical Coverage for the region, look me up via WH if you like.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
I coule be wrong. Also that was on my 286 HP 3.0 straight six M3 engine.

Ridgeback_Pilot said:

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts