BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick reminder if you are driving the M or any vehicle in heavy snow to dethaw the wheels. In Mpls we had roughly 20 inches of snow this weekend, of course the M stayed inside and watched but it was a play / overtime day for the Quattro. I had to run a couple of errands on Sat drop off the wife at work etc. during the storm and had already plowed my driveway once before I left. Came back a couple of hrs. later and there was a huge snow drift in front of my garage due to the high winds etc. I did not want to plow again till next morning so decided to just drive the car in which went in with ease with so much snow (I love my quattro). What i did not realise is that while going through the heap of snow my wheel's were getting packed with snow inside and outside (like a sandwhich). Parked the car over night temps fell below 0. Next day plow and take the car out runs fine till 40mph and then vibrates like your riding a wooden roller coaster, drop below 40 everything is fine again. I knew right away it had to be the ice in the wheel area, start poking through the outside and get very little out and can see the entire inside of the wheels are packed. some comes off with driving but the rest is stuck on for good.

Again this morning -15 no luck with the wheels, take it to a service center to sit in a heated garage and then blow the wheels with hot water to get the ice off, 3hrs later everything is fine.:D

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
223 Posts
My winter wheels were frozen to my garage floor this morning. It took me a couple attempts to forcefully reverse out.

·
Registered
732 Posts
HAHA I had to do what with my car this morning, this is the first car that I have really had a problem with the snow pack, though I am running Borbet 5 spokes so a lot of open sections to let the snow in.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I park outdoors, and during the blizzard went out and dug out the car two occasions, made it far easier to finally do it Sunday so I could move. The wheels have some pack but I did try to get some out. Haven't driven it anywhere though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts