BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a real bonus, it was arm and dry enough on Sunday for me to take the M3 out following its recent change to Mobil 10w60 (see the Oil analysis sticky). It was great to be able to use it this late in the year, making the winter layup period thankfully short. It's now safely tucked away with a brimmed tank, 40psi in the tyres and fully cleaned. Roll on spring.

In one drama, when I got to it the battery was flat (I must have left it around 1 month) but thinkfully I had a spare battery that was previously completely dead but I had recovered it using the "Save A Battery" charger. Even after sitting around for a couple of years it had enough juice to start the car, so I was able to get my run in after all. The original M3 battery was fully restored using the charger in no time at all. These things really are fantastic.

I want to use the 20J this weekend, for a photoshoot, so hoping for more good weather. Here's a pic to lighten the dull winter mood.

20141109_163750 by MattH3764, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Looks great Matt. I've just put the E34 and E39 into winter storage as well, I was going to tuck the 1M away as well but some idiot hit it yesterday whilst it was parked up. Fortunately it only needs a new front bumper but it'll need to be sorted out before I store it.

I've re commissioned my trusty E36 325 and the E39 540t for winter use, both started on the button and are good to go.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would get that 1M out on unsalty winter days Dan - unless you plan to keep it for 30 years......although knowing you that might indeed be the case.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My road tax bill (if I tax all the cars all year round) is just short of £1800! If I take three cars off the road for the winter and two for the summer it makes a significant saving. Of course I have no plans to sell the 1M, it only has 11k miles on the clock and is a classic in the making - not to mention hysterical to drive :).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm planning on not driving my E34 M5 very much over the winter. Look at picking up a BMW Advanced Battery Charger for it. Do you have a power outlet where your car is being stored?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Some problem you have there Dan... A lot of guys would lose a limb to have such a stable. ;-)
Yes Ben, we all have our crosses to bear! I'm extremely fortunate to have a very understanding wife who is a petrolhead in her own right.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ahh what a bunch.

Mine is now hibernating too after a woeful number of trips this year..

I'll be stomping around in a 6 pot E90 until spring.

How lucky we are...!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm planning on not driving my E34 M5 very much over the winter. Look at picking up a BMW Advanced Battery Charger for it. Do you have a power outlet where your car is being stored?
I'd recommend one of these in the strongest possible terms. It has now brought back 3 batteries that were so dead they wouldnt even make the LED blink on the dash. And the really cool feature is that it automatgically flicks into maintenance mode once the battery is fully recovered. Can be hooked up with the battery in the car. It just works !
Granite Digital - Save A Battery

Obviously a power outlet is needed - I have just run an extension cable into the garage.

Ahh what a bunch.

Mine is now hibernating too after a woeful number of trips this year..

I'll be stomping around in a 6 pot E90 until spring.

How lucky we are...!
It's a Z3 M Coupe on winter tyres for me. Here you go:

20140914_184645 by MattH3764, on Flickr

And here's the full pack, which all ended up out at the same time, a couple of months ago:

20140912_192704 by MattH3764, on Flickr

I've tried to crop out the wife's Ford W*nk Tank as best I can.......

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Lovely collection Matt. I did a search a while back for your battery saver post. Do you low any UK stockists? Import duty from the US appears so random nowadays, and I've been charged more than the item cost in the past.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd recommend one of these in the strongest possible terms. It has now brought back 3 batteries that were so dead they wouldnt even make the LED blink on the dash. And the really cool feature is that it automatgically flicks into maintenance mode once the battery is fully recovered. Can be hooked up with the battery in the car. It just works !
Granite Digital - Save A Battery

Obviously a power outlet is needed - I have just run an extension cable into the garage.

It's a Z3 M Coupe on winter tyres for me. Here you go:

20140914_184645 by MattH3764, on Flickr

And here's the full pack, which all ended up out at the same time, a couple of months ago:

20140912_192704 by MattH3764, on Flickr

I've tried to crop out the wife's Ford W*nk Tank as best I can.......
Good to hear. Just read about it in the latest issue of my local BMW club magazine. A lot of people here store their cars here for the winter and a battery charger makes things much easier. Plus on the older cars, you don't even have to pop the hood - just plug straight into the power socket. I think mine is coming in today.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I use Oxford Optimiser's on my cars, a legacy of using them previously on my motorbikes.
They do a good job, intelligent charge, vary the cycle and are left on 24/7 all year round.

They come in at under 100 quid too.

Alan.

Reactions: uk_bm

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I use an optimiser too. I've salvaged two batteries this year with it. I've also go a couple of C-tec trickle chargers that just plug into a cigarette lighter socket.

I have a rented garage away from home so if I have a car stored there I just disconnect the negative terminal from the battery which seems to work just as well.

·
10,456 Posts
i also use a battery tender when car's are sitting for more than a couple days. Nice looking collection you have....

As far as winter..... Yes it's supposed to rain tonight here in northern california, hopefully i get into the garage before it starts!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lovely collection Matt. I did a search a while back for your battery saver post. Do you low any UK stockists? Import duty from the US appears so random nowadays, and I've been charged more than the item cost in the past.
Ben - I certainly got mine from a uk stockist. Let me check my records and see if I can find out who. But I suspect a number of intelligent chargers with microprocessor technology to monitor the state of the battery, would work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts