BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new-to-me 2000 M5 came with an inop CD changer (at no additional cost!) and I can't fix it.

So I am prepared to take a large, bold leap into the twenty-first century and am considering an update to the stereo system. In another thread it was suggested to me that there are other options besides the DICE product, so I was curious what others have done and would recommend. Hopefully others will find this thread useful down the road.

For me personally, I would like to keep the car as stock as possible. For now it is my garage queen so I don't need to have a great stereo and I can do without my bluetooth integration. However... it would be nice. A plug & play solution is optimal. I don't want to change out the head unit.

DICE has a new product, the Silverline DUO, which supposedly integrates bluetooth. Anyone have experience with this? Does it use the car's existing phone logic and buttons on the radio/nav and steering wheel? Or do you have to use the "mode" button to scroll into the BT functions?

And since I don't actually own an ipod (and would prefer not to) I would really like a system that has a USB interface (which this new Silverline product claims to have). And at around $250 it seems like a good price.

Comments, suggestions? Or should I just find some old cassette tapes and be happy with that?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

I had the exact same problem...dead CD changer. Like you not an ipod fan so I got one of these. Grom USB.

I use it with a 16GB USB stick and it works very well. Very easy install, just unplug the CD changer and plug in the Grom unit. Sound quality is
very good (depending on the quality of your mp3s).
It emulates a standard CD changer so all the head unit / steering controls work.

Very nice :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi

I had the exact same problem...dead CD changer. Like you not an ipod fan so I got one of these. Grom USB.

I use it with a 16GB USB stick and it works very well. Very easy install, just unplug the CD changer and plug in the Grom unit. Sound quality is
It emulates a standard CD changer so all the head unit / steering controls work.

I'm looking for the same thing. That looks good, but it says no DSP. EASYSMOOTH did it still work even with? or do you not have dsp system?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi

Related question...did you get the bluetooth add-on?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks like a great alternative! For those of us with DSP, it may be possible to get an interface cable from DICE...

I've gotta learn more about DSP and what the cutoff - which cars have it and which don't.

Thanks "smooth"!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
The DSP issue is very very simple to determine, if you have an OEM CD Changer.

If you NEED a coaxial cable from the CD Changer to the DSP amp then you NEED a Digital audio input - end of story. If the device you are getting does not have a digital audio output (most do not), then you need an A/D converter.

Any device that replaces the CD Changer can be used with DSP, if you need the A/D converter then you need the A/D converter, if you don't then you don't.

There is no magic, there is no 'compatible with DSP' or 'not compatible with DSP', the ONLY question is 'do you need an A/D?'.

If you do not have an OEM CD Changer for reference then it is almost impossible to say with certainty if you need an A/D or not. With Nav the cutoff date is usually September 2002 (older require an A/D), but all bets are off if any component has ever been replaced. Without Nav the cut off date can be much later (in X5's etc).

·
Registered
9 Posts
No I don't have DSP so I knew it would be a straight forward install.
No I didn't get the bluetooth.

I have noticed a background whine on the quieter parts of music. Its obviously picking up some electrical interference from the engine. The tone of it changes with engine speed. I will let you guys know the solution when I figure it out.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hi

how do you switch from USB to Iphone?

I have a usb stick connected, but sometime I want to listen to a tune or two from Iphone - the instruction on switching between sources mentions:

The stereo is already in the CD changer mode (GROM USB is activated). Press FM/AM -> wait
1-2 second -> press CD (DISC).
2. The stereo is in any other mode (FM, SAT, etc…): press CD (DISC) -> wait 1-2 second -> press
FM/AM -> wait 1 second -> press CD (DISC).

CD/disk button? is it one of the software buttons CD1 CD2 etc? if so, which disc shall I choose?

many thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.