BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hopefully I'll have my car in November this year, and have a few questions, as I have noticed differences between what is in the Brochure and what is on the Internet for the M5...

1. Has anyone here had the small LCD screens put in the back of the front seats? If so, did a dealer do this, or someone else?

2. What about playing DVD's?

3. Anyone got the Protective Glazing? Cost: GBP1,135.00? it is in the Brochure - but didn't appear to be listed when I put the order through (so I'm assuming they will do it).

4. Did you have a Tracker installed by the BMW/Dealer?

5. I believe that the front passenger airbag can be switched off by getting the ISOFIX Child Seat hinges intalled in the front - this isn't listed in the Brochure, but I have found out that for GBP 60.00 it can be installed.

6. Can you have Remote Start programmed into the key?

Other questions:

1. What is Active Cruise Control?

Thanks all!!!!!!

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Active Cruise Control is not offered on the M5. It slows the car down auomatically when reaching obsctacles (slower cars) in your lane.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gustav said:
Active Cruise Control is not offered on the M5. It slows the car down auomatically when reaching obsctacles (slower cars) in your lane.
That's annoying isn't it - it is listed as an option on Page 49 of the Brochure. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Remote start is not realistically possible, even with a clifford. The car's electrics are very funky, the ecu starts shutting down functions one by one if it senses an unusual drain.

I would be very interested to know if anyone has had tracker fitter by bmw without any problems.

In terms of screens - if you're in the UK, Prestige Audio would be the only place I'd take the M5 - they've already done two with a DVD player and headrest screens. http://www.prestige-audio.co.uk/auto/home.php

·
Registered
123 Posts
I tried for protective glazing but the option has been removed- official comment from BMW confirmed this. The reason they quoted was that the window lift mechanism couldn't lift it effectively. I was suprised by this as some one has already said the protective glazing is lighter! I went for climate comfort instead.

I have asked for the Tracker but can't comment yet, as DD is Sept. Why the concern over the tracker?

4rotor said:
Hi all,

Hopefully I'll have my car in November this year, and have a few questions, as I have noticed differences between what is in the Brochure and what is on the Internet for the M5...

1. Has anyone here had the small LCD screens put in the back of the front seats? If so, did a dealer do this, or someone else?

2. What about playing DVD's?

3. Anyone got the Protective Glazing? Cost: GBP1,135.00? it is in the Brochure - but didn't appear to be listed when I put the order through (so I'm assuming they will do it).

4. Did you have a Tracker installed by the BMW/Dealer?

5. I believe that the front passenger airbag can be switched off by getting the ISOFIX Child Seat hinges intalled in the front - this isn't listed in the Brochure, but I have found out that for GBP 60.00 it can be installed.

6. Can you have Remote Start programmed into the key?

Other questions:

1. What is Active Cruise Control?

Thanks all!!!!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ivan said:
Remote start is not realistically possible, even with a clifford. The car's electrics are very funky, the ecu starts shutting down functions one by one if it senses an unusual drain.

I would be very interested to know if anyone has had tracker fitter by bmw without any problems.

In terms of screens - if you're in the UK, Prestige Audio would be the only place I'd take the M5 - they've already done two with a DVD player and headrest screens. http://www.prestige-audio.co.uk/auto/home.php
Thanks for this Ivan, I was told I could have this with my E39 540 - but never pursued it.

So you have had problems with a BMW Dealer fitting a Tracker? Do you think I would be better off having RAC come and fit one?

Thanks for the Presitge link - do you have any idea as to cost of a ICE pack with the LCD's? I wonder would that mean I would have to had a seperate DVD player installed - per the other thread about not being able to play DVD's in the BMW player.

·
Registered
271 Posts
4rotor said:
Thanks for this Ivan, I was told I could have this with my E39 540 - but never pursued it.

So you have had problems with a BMW Dealer fitting a Tracker? Do you think I would be better off having RAC come and fit one?

Thanks for the Presitge link - do you have any idea as to cost of a ICE pack with the LCD's? I wonder would that mean I would have to had a seperate DVD player installed - per the other thread about not being able to play DVD's in the BMW player.
I have had a tracker horizon fitted on mine by the dealer - and there have been no problems. Indeed I have never had any problems with tracker and I have had a lot :3:

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's definitely best to get BMW to go looking inside the M5 than some random guy from the RAC, but when BMW fitted the tracker to my X5 it kept going off when I was driving it - it got pretty annoying after a while, kept getting phonecalls while on the motorway. Probably a one-off problem though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ivan said:
It's definitely best to get BMW to go looking inside the M5 than some random guy from the RAC, but when BMW fitted the tracker to my X5 it kept going off when I was driving it - it got pretty annoying after a while, kept getting phonecalls while on the motorway. Probably a one-off problem though.
Don't BMW just get someone in to install it anyway? they did with my current car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts