BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow NY/NJ'ers - i am thinking about 245/40/R18 all around (stock wheels), is 255 better idea for the rears?
Since its NYC ( and few trips up north) - i thing Blizzak WS60 would be an overkill.

I am thinking:
Alpin PA3 (first choice)
Blizzak ML-60

Suggestions?
Thank you.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I run 4 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 in 245/40-18 on 4 OE front wheels and they are great for the amount of snow we get in this area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i think i like Pilot Alpin PA3 in 245/40-18's too.
Can I run those four on "regular OEM's" (245 fronts / 275 rears)??

·
Registered
100 Posts
I run 4 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 in 245/40-18 on 4 OE front wheels and they are great for the amount of snow we get in this area.
+1 That's the way to go. Narrower is better - do not run 275's in the rear. Non-staggered, non-directional tires can then be rotated to any position without remounting. With a full tank of gas you will be able to go anywhere until the snow is so deep it floats the car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Have never driven an E39 M5 in the winter before but 245/40-18 should be the ticket.

PA3's are my fave winter tires. Dunlop WinterSports are also formidible for those urban areas that get cleared relatively quickly. Not really a fan of the Blizzak line because of the cellular compound but I got a set for cheap so I'll be rocking those this winter.

Performance winter tires should be able to handle 95% of your needs for 95% of the time. It's the other 5% of the time that will make you sweat though although if you are able to pick and choose your sorties then that will help greatly. It's supposed to be a real winter this year unlike last year.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have been using 245s with Dunlop Winter Sports for many years now. No major problems as long as it's not very deep snow. Dry performance is pretty good as well.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I run 245/40/18 Dunlop Wintersport 3D's in the winter, and they do great. Never had any issues, I would recommend them.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I have used Hankook I-Pikes W409 on two different cars now and I love them. Somewhat similar to the Nokians.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ran Blizzak 245 FRT's on 4 OEM fronts for the past several winters - superb in snow and ice, but harsh, noisy, and poor performance in dry. Great on ski trips, bad everywhere else. This year I'm going with PA2 as, staggered (bought them from a fellow board member). We'll see how the wide rears work out. I agree with the above comment that narrow is better in the snow - you want to go through the snow, not ride on top.
Like most things, it's about finding the right balance...and I'm still searching. Good luck - and keep us posted on your experience.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is this your only set of wheels?

If you can swing it from a cost, storage and significant other perspective, look into getting a second set of wheels and have winters permanently mounted on them. This way, you can go from summer to winter mode in the comfort of your garage/driveway, etc.

Many of us have hydraulic jacks but few of us have tire changers and balancing machines at home.

BTW, the DSW 3D in 245/40-18 lists a maximum rim mounting width of 9.5"
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D

So it should "fit" on the OE rear wheels. Cosmetically, there might be a bit of a stretch and functionally, the protective rubber that you need all around might not be there sufficiently to protect your wheel lips.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not sure. It will look funny, but I think this has become a desired 'look'. So I think it might work, but I'd check with a tire shop (or Tire Rack - they're pretty good) if this would work.

Anyone tried this?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, that's my only set of wheels, don't have 4 fronts / 4 rear setup.
Is it as better idea to put "some" 255's in the back? If so, 255/40/18 or 255/35/18?
Opinions, opnions...
anybody actually HAD 245's on stock rears?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is this your only set of wheels?

If you can swing it from a cost, storage and significant other perspective, look into getting a second set of wheels and have winters permanently mounted on them. This way, you can go from summer to winter mode in the comfort of your garage/driveway, etc.
+1

Only way to go especially if you are going to have to store your summer tires anyway... In the long run this will save you money if you get a 2nd set of rims relatively cheap. 2 years ago, did the whole package on tirerack and the found a rim for just under $100 each (worked wtih Luke on this). I went with 17" rims with 245 all around. As mentioned, not the best performance setup, but that was not my concern. I needed to be able to get up and down some decent hills. Don't think the 17" will work if you have a BBK though.

Enjoy the snow, nothing better than a 394 HP snowmobile!

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Yeah, that's my only set of wheels, don't have 4 fronts / 4 rear setup.
Is it as better idea to put "some" 255's in the back? If so, 255/40/18 or 255/35/18?
Opinions, opnions...
anybody actually HAD 245's on stock rears?

I have 225s on 17x9 Style 32s - no issues. the 225s are nearly an inch more narrow than 245s; but the wheel is only .5" more narrow than the M5's 18x9.5

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've run the Dunlop wintersports for 3 winters now and had no issues. I am in the heart of NYC everyday for work and made it through with no issues.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Question - are 245/40/18 snow tires ok on the REAR OEM wheels (275 wide)?
Of course not... There's a 1.5 inch difference in width. They'd never fit properly. I'd be scared to try. Maybe I'm a bit too cautious. I wouldn't want a tire to come off my wheel accidentally, but like others said, it depends on the tire and how willing the sidewall is to fit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts