BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! First off, I'd like to thank everyone here that have made owning my beast possible. I've had to fix quite a few things but learned so much about modern vehicles in the process. Before I get started, I'd like to say, I am aware of the rod bearing hype, paranoia, whatever you all would like to call it, but I believe it's a real issue, and I'm coming up on my first oil change. If you don't want to read the mumbo jumbo, skip to the fourth paragraph, lol.

I will be using 10w-60 due to the high temperatures here in Hawaii. So far, since having the car five months ago, I've driven 3800 miles, where to, I honestly have no idea since work is 4 miles away. I love driving my beast and when no one is around it gets driven hard sometimes. I always ensure it is reasonably warmed up. I've had to add two quarts of oil since owning it, and they were both 10w-40.

I do not have the full service history of the vehicle (will be attempting to retrieve it soon for my own records), but found out the other day the first owner had 9 parking tickets (which leads me to believe maybe there may have been some abuse by the first owner), but I believe it was a CPO when the second owner bought it, and he took great care of it.

I want to prolong the life of my beast as much as possible and will be doing my oil change in a a few hundred miles. I'm doing it early due to a few factors here, mainly being the salt water rain, humidity, etc, not to mention having fun with the car. I'm definitely going to send my oil off to Blackstone for analysis, but was curious if I should take off the oil pan for the first oil change, just to inspect and for metal shavings for better peace of mind. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I have access to a car lift and tools for maintenance purposes. Does anyone think this may be a bad idea? Input please. Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You need 2 engine support bars across the top of the engine to hold it in place as the front suspension fame has to be lowered to get the pan off and the plenum needs to be removed to get to the back engine support hook. At least I did with my particular set up. When you say you have access to a lift, is it the type where the front wheels will hang in the air? If not, that won't work. I have done it twice and it's a LOT of work. If I got that far, I'd install new bearings and a vanos hose while the pan was off. If I were you, I'd cut and unfold the oil filter and inspect it for metal filings first. I do that anyway on all my S85 oil changes. If there is a problem, it will show up there. You also need a deep or long torx socket for 4 rear pan bolts, and a new oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Hello all! First off, I'd like to thank everyone here that have made owning my beast possible. I've had to fix quite a few things but learned so much about modern vehicles in the process. Before I get started, I'd like to say, I am aware of the rod bearing hype, paranoia, whatever you all would like to call it, but I believe it's a real issue, and I'm coming up on my first oil change. If you don't want to read the mumbo jumbo, skip to the fourth paragraph, lol.

I will be using 10w-60 due to the high temperatures here in Hawaii. So far, since having the car five months ago, I've driven 3800 miles, where to, I honestly have no idea since work is 4 miles away. I love driving my beast and when no one is around it gets driven hard sometimes. I always ensure it is reasonably warmed up. I've had to add two quarts of oil since owning it, and they were both 10w-40.

I do not have the full service history of the vehicle (will be attempting to retrieve it soon for my own records), but found out the other day the first owner had 9 parking tickets (which leads me to believe maybe there may have been some abuse by the first owner), but I believe it was a CPO when the second owner bought it, and he took great care of it.

I want to prolong the life of my beast as much as possible and will be doing my oil change in a a few hundred miles. I'm doing it early due to a few factors here, mainly being the salt water rain, humidity, etc, not to mention having fun with the car. I'm definitely going to send my oil off to Blackstone for analysis, but was curious if I should take off the oil pan for the first oil change, just to inspect and for metal shavings for better peace of mind. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I have access to a car lift and tools for maintenance purposes. Does anyone think this may be a bad idea? Input please. Thanks, guys!
If you're doing at the Auto Hobby shop, life will be much easier than on jacstands. But, as Bill says...it's a lot of work, especially your first time. You have to lower the front axle subframe to drop the pan, so it turns a seemingly simple job into a proper BMW complex job.

By no means is it impossible, just be prepared to pay a couple of overnight fees and deal with their "work" schedule as to when they're open.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yes cut that sucker open! My oil filter was filled with shavings after my motor ate my rod bearings, hopefully you won't find anything in there.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Listen to reason, brah. Your chances of determining anything meaningful from visually inspecting the oil pan are minimal. And what if you did? Put it back together and drive? Just do the oil change, send the oil off to Blackstone and go from there. Maybe you can also cut open the oil filter canister and inspect it for metal. Since you've got the '08, you have two drain plugs, right? Make sure you get 10 Litres of Castrol TWS. When I did my '09, I initially filled with 9 Litres and drove it until the oil measurement came up (the long one, after driving 20+ miles). Push the BC button until the oil display comes up in the dash. Then press and hold until it shows "-.-" Leave it like this and drive until it resets. Mine went to "+1L" and I filled it with the 10th bottle. Brought it to full as advertised. Gives a lot of confidence in the oil measurement system. Now, I'd say the best thing you can do for your engine/oil is always drive the car to full operating temp. This ensures that humidity/salt is burned off. If you do short drives, the humidity/salt stays in the oil, and contaminates everything it touches. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I forgot to add above that any debris you find in the pan will show in the filter. The filter would be the first stop, then the pan if you found anything. Trust me...don't understimate the job of pulling the pan. If you decide/need to...be prepared.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts