BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title states I would appreciate opinions on the looks of these Dinan wheels, they are polished and clear coated. Not sure about the looks I like my CH-R better for appearances but these Dinans make the car feel nimble and light-footed. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have always been a "function over fashion" kind of person. They are not the best looking wheels but I think in your case they look as good as they can. the only thing I would do different is lower the car a tad to close that gap, at least in the front.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
No matter what kind of wheels you get, they won't look that great if your car's not lowered.

As for these Dinan wheels, I think they look great on member fiftytwoeighty's (woody's) car which is also Interlagos Blue.

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree the front needs to be dropped, do not like the slammed look but the front is out of proportion to the rear. I thought these wheels may be to blingy polished. Thanks for you feedback.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Once lowered the car will look much better.

The biggest difference with the BBS wheels is that there isn't a lip on themand they look bigger because the spokes go all the way to the edges. The DINAN wheels have a lip and therefore look smaller.

A small drop and maybe even a small spacer up front and you're set.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,268 Posts
No matter what kind of wheels you get, they won't look that great if your car's not lowered.

As for these Dinan wheels, I think they look great on member fiftytwoeighty's (woody's) car which is also Interlagos Blue.
M5Jed has the same polished lips/wheels as well, but he's lowered on a Dinan suspension. His e60 looks great.

I'm lowered on coilovers, but definately not "slammed" for asthetics, but lowered for track duty.

Function > Form for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Something looks off with the front, cant really say what it is. Seems disproportionately high even with the 18's. Perhaps it's simply just an odd angle! As posted above, Fiftytwoeighty's car looks ace with the grey/'smoked' look. Perhaps that'd help a bit aesthetically but that's just me personally - to each their own, it's your car! H&R lowering springs would help too if you don't want to go with the whole big coilover setups.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Never liked that style...lowered or not.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Old style Dinan champion wheels are one of the best and super lightweight (i think they are 19lbs per wheel which is significant considering OEM are aprox 28lbs front and 29lbs rear)

2 things as others have said.

1. Drop the car.. the car is begging you for a drop :hihihi:
2. Change the surface of wheel or color. it looks to blingy polished like that.. so perhaps gunmetal or some other natural color. (see Fiftytwoeight's wheels)

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Profile...

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
To be bluntly honest, I've done a TON of research on wheels and looks through the internet which includes everything from pricing, tire selection, and even durability of aftermarket rims.

I've come to the conclusion that the rims you choose are PURELY based on your own preference and taste.

I personally am getting the Avant Garde m 359 20x9-20x10.5 because I like the more oem aggressive mesh look.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1401114209.934515.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Stig_06

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Very nice! Are you running a larger sidewall up front?
Nope...stock size/aspect ratio up front, but Michelin PSS 255/40/19, which are much much wider than stock PS2s. I think so many people go to lower profile 20s, that normal aspect ratios look odd.

FWIW, I can't go any wider up front, without rubbing the collar of my coilovers.

My details are in my signature.

·
Registered
422 Posts
To be bluntly honest, I've done a TON of research on wheels and looks through the internet which includes everything from pricing, tire selection, and even durability of aftermarket rims.

I've come to the conclusion that the rims you choose are PURELY based on your own preference and taste.

I personally am getting the Avant Garde m 359 20x9-20x10.5 because I like the more oem aggressive mesh look.

View attachment 423362

I believe the wheels in your pic are the Miro 111s, I have the Avant Garde 359s on my 545i. Both are nice wheels. I have been going back and forth on wheels as well lately, I think I am going to powder coat the stockers to matte gunmetal gray.

Nope...stock size/aspect ratio up front, but Michelin PSS 255/40/19, which are much much wider than stock PS2s. I think so many people go to lower profile 20s, that normal aspect ratios look odd.

FWIW, I can't go any wider up front, without rubbing the collar of my coilovers.

My details are in my signature.
It looks like the front sidewalls are taller than the rear in the picture, maybe it's just the angle. Car looks great!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe the wheels in your pic are the Miro 111s, I have the Avant Garde 359s on my 545i. Both are nice wheels. I have been going back and forth on wheels as well lately, I think I am going to powder coat the stockers to matte gunmetal gray.

It looks like the front sidewalls are taller than the rear in the picture, maybe it's just the angle. Car looks great!

VERY astute of you. Yes, those we're Miro 111s, but they look very similar. After review research, it appeared that Avante Gards are more durable than Miros.

·
Registered
422 Posts
VERY astute of you. Yes, those we're Miro 111s, but they look very similar. After review research, it appeared that Avante Gards are more durable than Miros.

I had one of my 359 wheels replaced under warranty after the first month. It cracked on the inside of the wheel near the tire bead, I hit absolutely nothing; it just cracked. The good thing is that the tire went flat over night and this lead to the find.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Appreciate all the input, I will start with dropping the front with shorter springs and see how it looks. If not satisfied I will refinish the wheels to a gunmetal color. Any recomendations on spring type and height? I want to do front only since I like the way the rear sits.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Appreciate all the input, I will start with dropping the front with shorter springs and see how it looks. If not satisfied I will refinish the wheels to a gunmetal color. Any recomendations on spring type and height? I want to do front only since I like the way the rear sits.
The car definitely feels quicker with the lighter Dinan's, don't you think? I can really feel the difference when I swap between my wheels.

Regarding only the front being lowered, this is a good place to start:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/190561-lowering-front-end-e60-m5.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts