BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The p/o of my M5 had the oem cans deleted with some piping welded in place which connects 4x 2.25" stainless tips.

As you can see, the workmanship is not very good, with press-bends used, and the tips make the rear imo of the car look a bit malnourished.

My plan is to install 4 x 3" tips to improve the aesthetics. Should I get the piping after the rear resonator (i want to retain the stock one) improved using larger diameter mandrel bends. My guess is that this setup is introducing some back pressure in the system which is affecting top end power a bit. Your thoughts??

Pics of the current setup :

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeah it does look a bit "wimpy" LOL. Sounds like you'll make it look better. Looks like the heat shields are missing too? You may want to monitor the floor of your boot and see how hot it gets and install some thin metal heat shields between the exhaust and body.

You guys use imperial measuring system in Kiwi land LOL? Thought it was all metric.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it does look a bit "wimpy" LOL. Sounds like you'll make it look better. Looks like the heat shields are missing too? You may want to monitor the floor of your boot and see how hot it gets and install some thin metal heat shields between the exhaust and body.

You guys use imperial measuring system in Kiwi land LOL? Thought it was all metric.
Yes the p/o removed those... :applause:

We Kiwi's have been using the metric system since 1976. To avoid any confusion with you lot I thought it would just be best to use imperial :1:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yes the p/o removed those... :applause:

We Kiwi's have been using the metric system since 1976. To avoid any confusion with you lot I thought it would just be best to use imperial :1:
LOL. Well the folks in the US use "Standard", UK used to "Imperial", then switched to metric halfway through my schooling. I'm a Brit living in the US so I'm totally confused as to what to use LOL.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
The p/o of my M5 had the oem cans deleted with some piping welded in place which connects 4x 2.25" stainless tips.

As you can see, the workmanship is not very good, with press-bends used, and the tips make the rear imo of the car look a bit malnourished.

My plan is to install 4 x 3" tips to improve the aesthetics. Should I get the piping after the rear resonator (i want to retain the stock one) improved using larger diameter mandrel bends. My guess is that this setup is introducing some back pressure in the system which is affecting top end power a bit. Your thoughts??

Pics of the current setup :

theres no restriction, the stock exhaust goes from a single 2.5 inch pipe to dual 2.25 inch pipes into the mufflers on each side. all the PO did on your car was cut out the mufflers. most people cut the mufflers out at the 2.5 pipe and extend out the 2.5 inch pipe to the tips.(cleaner looking way to do it)

In your case I would cut the exhaust before the 2.25 pipes and extend the 2.5 and install tips of your choice. I would not go larger then 2.5 for the piping (tips it doesnt matter) as the larger pipes might create a "resinator" effect and give you drone. in the US some truck owners install larger piping after the mufflers and although it looks better they make the trucks sound like motor boats.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Martin, I have the tips and piping off my car if you want them. I'll be coming to Auckland maybe tomorrow but most likely in the next fortnight and can bring them down. Give me a call 021925093 if you're interested. Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts