BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My local autobody/stereo shop said they could open the headlights and just remove the amber insert. They said they would properly reseal the headlights so it shouldn't cause any damage or future problems. Has anyone tried this? If so, did it cause any damage and how does the headlight look with no insert at all? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Re: Opinions needed please: complete removal of amber insert???

I suppose it is possible, but I would want to see one they had already performed this operation on.

Mark

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

They did it on an Acura a couple months ago and have had no problems. They have never done it on a E39.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Has anyone ever seen this done? (or have a picture of it)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks, that's a great site. So one more question. How exactly is the amber insert held in place? Is it glued in or just snapped in? Has anyone here done the angel eye upgrade that they did on that site?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
What a great write up on how to remove the clear headlight cover from the base which contains the ellipsoid, highbeam and angel eyes. Now the only thing left is to find out how one can order ONLY the clear corner lenses and install them, thus removing the ugly amber corner lenses designated for USA rather than Euro.

·
Registered
403 Posts
it sounds kinda risky.....i would almost guarantee there would be a moisture problem after that seal is melted back together.....just my two cents

·
Registered
682 Posts
The euros still use plastic lenses, as far as the amber corners they just pop in and out. Take them out put a few light coats of silver paint on them and pop them back in. The housings will look stupid without the reflectors in, it leaves a bug gap that shows the black liner in the housings.

·
Registered
542 Posts
madyspop said:
The euros still use plastic lenses, as far as the amber corners they just pop in and out. Take them out put a few light coats of silver paint on them and pop them back in. The housings will look stupid without the reflectors in, it leaves a bug gap that shows the black liner in the housings.
Interesting, Im not debating you, just curious why these guys claim they are glass. False advertising on that level would be pretty bad. I was going to buy from them because of the claim that they're glass.

http://www.namotorwerks.com/products/description.php/II=314

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I have two oem 01+ one with broken adjuster sitting in my storage i'm intrigue on this method of lens removal and upgrade....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts