BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I ran an Autocheck on it, and it appears this is the 3rd owner. The car was auctioned on 8/11/04 at 73108 miles and then titled in Virginia Beach on 12/10/04 at the same mileage. On 2/22/05 it was then titled in Fairfax with 74197 miles. So it appears that there were two owners after the auction, and the first one drove the car about 1000 miles before selling it. First warning sign.

I would definitely take it to a reputable and thorough BMW specialty shop for an extensive pre-purchase inspection which includes a leak-down and compression test. Also take the VIN to a dealer and print out the entire service history that BMW has on file for the car. It was originally a leased vehicle titled on 7/26/01 in Johnstown, PA. It appears it stayed there until it was auctioned away, so checking with the local dealers there with the VIN may uncover out of warranty repair records (i.e. I'm assuming the car is coming without complete records). In any event, don't be lured by the price without fully checking out the car.

Good luck,
Chuck

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have spoken to the owner about the car. He has looked after the car but doesnt have all the records for the car. What I dont get is why people dont go to their dealership and get a print out of the records that they have on file at least. Having the records for cars like these are so important. Either way I think the car has been well sorted out I just think this guy wants to get into a new car. Nothing more. Either way I would still get a thorough PPI done on it before going further. I bet the car doesnt meet the reserve even though it is a nice price for a 2001.

·
Registered
511 Posts
One thing I noticed on the pictures in the auction is abnormal wear on the outside of the front right tire. Either the car was tracked alot or had a bad alignment done after a front end collision. Carfax only reports what has been recorded by insurance companies not what a friends bodyshop does for cash money. Be careful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts