BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 M5, and one thing that really needs some work is the Navigation system. It is tedious to operate and very slow to draw maps, input addresses and so on. I have to wait until next spring for my new M5, but in the meantime, how do you all like the new system? Is it speedy to redraw maps? Is there a touchscreen or is it all I-drive?

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
35 Posts
No touch screen as yet and with the focus on i-drive throughout the range I do not think that will ever come.

The system is good once you get used to it and the satalite position of the car is found quicker than a Tom Tom Go but the map drawing and route calculations are slightly slower.

Viewing route instuctions via the HUD is great.

wdc

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I think once you get over any learning curve issues, which will take you 1-5 days IMHO, you will find it is much better. The idrive was always better as a nav system and this model uses a much faster processor.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MEnthusiast said:
this model uses a much faster processor.
This is the really important point, as any E39 owners can attest to. There would be times when I would wait 30 seconds or more for a map to redraw. Completely ridiculous in a car of this caliber. I'm glad to hear they upgraded from the old 15 cent processor...

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
BMW has historically made improvements to its Nav almost every year. There was a big difference in speed between my 2000 and 2001 MY E39 M5, and then another jump with my 2002 M3 and 2004 745. I hope that BMW continues this with the MY2006 E60. With that said, I think that BMW is falling behind other carmakers that are advancing their Nav systems faster.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
My 2003 M5's nav system was much much much faster than my 2000s. Id say it was even faster than the 2002 745's system that I had. We have an 05 745 and the nav system is faster still.

Ive driven the new M5- don't worry about the nav system or idrive. They work well and quickly and any adjustment you need to make will happen within a few days.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Honestly, I wish I could get the car without NAV. Some of the best places and roads I have experienced were the results of a missed or wrong turn. Now.. that said...

I just ordered a X5 for the wife (being built this week no less) and ordered it with NAV since she is going into real estate... It appears that it uses the same system as the E39 M5 (since the X5 is built on the E39 chassis I believe), so I assume the performance would be the same. I gotta say, I wish they offered I-Drive in the X5.. I really dislike the "old" setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts