BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
The problem with oem bearings with coatings is the clearance is even less... Since is the oem bearing with an additional layering.

The BE bearings are made with the same materials (lead/copper) and manufactured by the OE supplier of the stock ones. They have made them slightly smaller to increase the clearance between the bearing and crankshaft to alleviate the problem of bearings failing apparently due to not enough oil getting into the clearance when it's cooler and thicker.

I'll be buying them when I do my rod bearings. There's not meaningful data on them yet as I don't think anyone has run them for say over 100k miles yet...

The other thing to consider is if you have an per LCI model, 05/06, you don't have 2 sumps plugs. Another probable cause or contributing factor to rod bearing failure can be the dirty degraded oil in the front sump that's never drained, this has been shown to be over 2 litres! Not good. If you do have an 05/06 I would think about drilling a sump hole into the front sump.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
According to my latest oil report, I should get to it on ordering my BE bearings. The Lab report date is 06/15/2016.

Thanks for the input.

I'm also considering shipping my car to Boston for the work, as I have yet to find a quality indy in the Houston area that can tackle this for me.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts