BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a low mileage 2002/2003 M5, and have across a 2002 M5, 23k miles, in excellent condition. Has the exact interior I want. Mechanically, everything checks out. Beautiful car. Owner is asking $51k. Also on the plus side: it is local to me.

The only concern I have is that the original factory warranty runs out in early May 2006. In 7 months, basically. While I've been told that nothing major is going to happen until the car has way more miles on it, I think that members on this board have experienced otherwise.

Assuming that a CPO or extension to the original factory warranty is out of the question, it means that I have to get an aftermarket warranty to go with the car. Cost is not the issue here, but coverage is - I'm worried about having issues with the aftermarket warranty companies, etc.

I'd appreciate the collective opinion of the members on this board. Should I continue to pursue this otherwise excellent example? Or should I continue looking?

Also, are there any aftermarket warranty companies that are worth the cost and time to deal with?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Buy it.

Then get the extended warrenty from bmw. Not a CPO, extended.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, I have a 2002 m5 and i have had it for about 3 years now. I’ve been in the automotive repair business for 30 years. All I can tell you is that from my experience is that the BMW dealerships are terrible with warranty issues. They fight you on every thing major. I personally don’t see any use in buying aftermarket warranty coverage. They don’t want to pay for anything wrong with the car. They make it into a pre-existing problem and that our coverage won’t cover pre-existing problems. That’s there bail out on everything. Don’t be mislead by posts about problems with the car. It’s a very small group of people and there’s bound to be miscellaneous problems with any car. My advice to you; don’t worry about the warranty, if the car checks out good and there is no electrical issues with the car I would buy the car and enjoy it. Find yourself a good independent repair shop and enjoy it. It’s a great car. Its got a weak clutch, no secret, dealer wont fix it anyway (they say u drive like ****) Its a fun car and has been good to me. Treat it good and it will be good to you. Good luck!

From,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Tim<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Jayson said:
Then get the extended warrenty from bmw. Not a CPO, extended.
Not possible. BMW offers no extended warranty UNLESS you are the original owner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Regardless of what other opinions are...it seems common knowledge after reading our forum that MAPS & CATS need replacement around 55K miles. The extended warranty is under $2K a year.<p>I'd certainly pay that instead of $4K in repairs.<p>Just my two cents.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i thought the warranty was 5 years. am i wrong? if it is 5 years and runs out in may of 2006, then that 2002 vehicle would have an inservice date of may, 2001!?!? someone straighten me out on this please. must be four years and 50k miles, right?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I purchased a used car from a private party AND added a cpo to it as part of the 'deal'.

PM me if you want some info. Dealer I used was local to you.... I'd posted some details previously, do a search as well.

51k is high. 45-47 is more like it. 51 should get you a 2003 with 23k miles- and a year more warranty.

What colors are you seeking?

A

PS Hey, how many guys drop dead of heart attacks at your age? Hardly any- so why have life insurance....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ard said:
Not possible. BMW offers no extended warranty UNLESS you are the original owner.
That is absolutely correct. I called up BMWNA to check on the remaining warranty, as well as ask if there was anything I could do to extend the new car warranty.

The answer I got was that only the original owner could extend it (for 2 more years from in-service date), and the retail cost for the new car extended warranty would be $3750. I was also told there isn't a "waiting period" before the original owner can transfer the warranty too, so, for those of you who are buying/selling and have that option available, you may be in luck.

Unfortunately for me I'm out of luck, as the owner I'm purchasing it from is the 2nd owner of the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
DaveG1 said:
i thought the warranty was 5 years. am i wrong? if it is 5 years and runs out in may of 2006, then that 2002 vehicle would have an inservice date of may, 2001!?!? someone straighten me out on this please. must be four years and 50k miles, right?
Pretty sure its only 4 years/50,000 miles. Vehicle in-service date, as quoted by BMWNA was May, 2002, warranty expires May, 2006.

BTW, thanks for all the replies so far, they have been most educational.

·
Registered
767 Posts
davidhageman said:
Regardless of what other opinions are...it seems common knowledge after reading our forum that MAPS & CATS need replacement around 55K miles. The extended warranty is under $2K a year.<p>I'd certainly pay that instead of $4K in repairs.<p>Just my two cents.

Common for cats to need replacement after 55k miles? I haven't read this (MAFS yes). Aren't the cats covered under a longer emissions warrente? I'll have to check.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Catalytic Convertors are covered for 8 years or 80K miles whichever occurs first under the Federal Emission Warranty. Also included is the Engine Control Module (DME in our case) and On Board Diagnosic System.

Most posts indicate that premature Cat failure has been attributed to malfunctioning MAFS ( too rich) and/or crankcase oil separators allowing excess oil to enter the intake plenum. My M5 @ 32K miles had a "Cat Efficency Code" stored ( did not trigger the SES light ), but exhaust was rich at idle. Service Mgr told me they would replace the Cats when the SES light was triggered. Convinced him the replace both MAFS which resulted in immediately crisper throttle response and after 2 weeks time for the computer to remap the fuel curve, elimination of rich exhaust smell at idle and 1.5 MPG increase. At the next oil change, he agreed the replace the oil separators. Has not thrown a Cat Efficency Code since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts