BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just out of curiosity.

If you bought an M5 with after market 18" wheels on it that you didn't like (hate to be more precise)

Would you buy other after market wheels 18" or 19" or would you go back and buy a new set of OEM 18" wheels (that do look so nice)?

I'm curious to have board members opinion on this one as I see a lot cars with OEM's but also a lot of opinions on aftermarket. What would you do?

Thanks

Marc :wroom:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Re: Opinion on wheels for the Beast

Hello Marc,
I am still with the OEMs but also looking at other options. So far nothing has grabbed me. So if in your position, I'd probably go back to the stock. Although the AC Schnitzer 5 Spoke might be an option - they look like my Azev Type A's which I have on my E-34 which I still LOVE after all these years. (See post #6 for pic http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57015). But this look may not be modern enough for the E-39.

Since I have a Jet Black E-39 M5, I am considering possibly chroming the standard wheels. But for now, I am waiting as I also just recently got the car. (Which I've only had for driving 2 weeks since I got it in August! The other times it has been at the Dealers for a SES repair or I've been traveling.)

By the way, I work for Beckman Coulter, so the next time I am in Nyon, maybe we can get together. (No current plans to be there - I am in Germany right now.)
Best Wishes,
Alfred

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If I were in your shoes marducati, I'd keep the current 18 wheels (which you hate) and rap some winter rubber on them for the bad months, then buy a set of 19s for the spring/summer/autumn months.

Among the many wheels out there, I happen to like the Cargraphic wheels (they are pricey though). In my mind these are one of the better looking rims you can eqiup the beast with (and you certainly don't see them as much as the Hamann and ACSs).

http://www.beastpower.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BMI&Category_Code=cargraphic

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd stay with 18" oems - i like some of the other wheels but i think BMW got it so right with the origanals i wouldn't want any other look.

IMO to put after market wheels on the M5 makes the car look like someone is trying to modify an ordinary 5 series and make it look like an M5.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I just purchased a set of 9 1/2" SSR GT7 Hybrids with PS2 275/35R18s all around. Should have them on tomorrow. Will take some pix and post. I was interested in some wheels other than stock that were light and would take the understeer out. I use the SSR Competition for the track but wanted something that was a little more unigue and not going to cost $1k per wheel.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I don't like the OEM wheels, and neither did the previous owner. He sold the car with the winter wheels however. I have been struggling for 4 months until I finally got my aftermarket wheels. I chose extremely wide, full polished OZ Futura wheels. These are very lightweigth, forged, 3piece wheels. You can see them when clicking the 'view my car' link. Most people on the board don't really like the style however... The wheels are only 18", and the car is lowered a lot.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd say go with 18" lightweight aftermarket rims. This will reduce unsprung weight, help take the understeer out and increase acceleration. It will also give your car a more individualized look. BBS RGR's fit the bill for me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Frits said:
I don't like the OEM wheels, and neither did the previous owner. He sold the car with the winter wheels however. I have been struggling for 4 months until I finally got my aftermarket wheels. I chose extremely wide, full polished OZ Futura wheels. These are very lightweigth, forged, 3piece wheels. You can see them when clicking the 'view my car' link. Most people on the board don't really like the style however... The wheels are only 18", and the car is lowered a lot.
That is extreme. It actually is the exact style german tuners love. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I wanted to replace my OEMs as they were turning black, but I did not want to spend a lot of money, and I definitely did not want to buy something i had to spend a lot of time cleaning. So I was gonna have my OEMs powder coated black, but it turns out that it was less expensive to buy a set of black ASAs from Tire Rack (polished rims), plus the wheels were dropped off at my house with new Michelins mounted. No trips to a wheel shop, no downtime, no mounting fees, plus I still have the OEMs for some future project.

Steve

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Frits said:
Wow Frits, that is a 'wide-body' look you got there, you must have side PDC installed to keep the rims safe from curb rash... :) LOL

Have you seen the G-Power wide body kit - that would give you an even bigger 'bulge' for your Beast if you into such look.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
cosioboy said:
Wow Frits, that is a 'wide-body' look you got there, you must have side PDC installed to keep the rims safe from curb rash... :) LOL

Have you seen the G-Power wide body kit - that would give you an even bigger 'bulge' for your Beast if you into such look.
Just took a look at it. Can't really get an idea with these very small pictures on their site. I'm not into 'bolt on' wide bodies however, just stretch the original body to the limit.

The mirror turning down when putting in reverse is a great option. On my E36, I have to do that myself every time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I like my OEMs and they are in perfect condition, but I bought bbloch1114's RMS Superfast 18" 2 piece wheels and they have a little more meat on them. (will post pix soon). They have a nice polished lip that is the same width front and rear. I can always put the OEMs back on if I want.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts