BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am in the market for headers. I have done several searches and listened viewed all the videos I can find, what headers do you guys like and why? I am ready to get some right away..

SW

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Supersprint. Seems to have the best low-mid range tq/hp. I'd
like to see RPis version on the dyno. If numbers are good then
they have the benefit that you can remove/reinstall the primary
cats much easier for smog.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
How soon before we have to get smog checks?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Im installing a set of Evosport headers as I type. I have been very impressed with the quality anf fit and finsih of them so far. Besides the normal header issues (muscle into place in certain times), I have been very impressed. They come as a solid one piece unit wihc makes installation easier IMO. The SS are all individual tubes. From what I have seen, all the headers offer similiar power gains across the board.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Based on what I read and have personally experienced:

Supersprint:
1) Closest to equal length
2) Stainless steel
3) Modular pipes connected to merge collector but this leads to more potential for leakage
4) Pricy

Evosport:
1) Lots of real world feedback from owners on this board
2) Relatively cheap
3) Mild Steel not stainless but ceramic coated

RDSport:
1) Stainless Steel
2) Priced a bit above Evosport's
3) The complete RDSport headers/cats/x-pipe/exhaust were installed on the Fisker Latigo CS and it passed smog

There are also similar options from Turner (cat-delete) and RPI but I have not seen any feedback yet from them.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
In term of performance, I have seen both Evosport(///Marhsall and myself) and SS(zzyzx member) dyno'd head-to-head, and if memory served, I think SS showed a better midrange torque while evosport dip a little bit in midrange. Peak hp wise...about the same.

I'm looking forward for RPI headers since it uses OEM headers with a quick reinstall cats when due for smog check.

Based on what I read and have personally experienced:

Supersprint:
1) Closest to equal length
2) Stainless steel
3) Modular pipes connected to merge collector but this leads to more potential for leakage
4) Pricy

Evosport:
1) Lots of real world feedback from owners on this board
2) Relatively cheap
3) Mild Steel not stainless but ceramic coated

RDSport:
1) Stainless Steel
2) Priced a bit above Evosport's
3) The complete RDSport headers/cats/x-pipe/exhaust were installed on the Fisker Latigo CS and it passed smog

There are also similar options from Turner (cat-delete) and RPI but I have not seen any feedback yet from them.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Streetking I know you want to move on this now but I think ESS maybe working on developing equal length headers for our cars. Probably though for the end of the year.

SS vs. Evosport headers I feel the results are very similar. The dollars are the difference. SS is stainless steel.
I been told the RD Sport headers and exhaust do not sound as potent, a more tame sound. I was told by an installer.

I have SS headers and straight through section 1 & 2 (pipes only) and the rear cans. I love it.

Good luck
M5Ranger

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You can't go wrong with the above mentioned brands (SS, Evosport and RDsport). Do you plan on doing any other exhaust mods (i.e. race cats, x-pipe, etc..)? If so, it may be a good idea to look at those as well if you plan on keeping one specific brand under your car.

I have SS headers and like them but I cannot compare them to anything else. When I do this all over again, I will probably go with Evosport or RDsport jut because of the price point.

Cheers ///

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input guys. Juan, I am going to get some headers right away, but when the RPI come out and if they are alot better, I will change what I have.

Thanks again guys, I will let you know what I decide.

SW

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
It passed smog check in cali:eek:oohhh: with just hi flow cats. More detail please.
That's what I was told from Federico of RDSport. Unfortunately no more details than that.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Wait! You didn't tell us which brand you went with! :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks for all your help, my car is on the lift now getting the factory headers pulled so we can do the install tomorrow..:)

SW
now that's a friggin tease!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wait! You didn't tell us which brand you went with! :)

For now I'm going with Evosport. Kenny knew where a brand new set were instock and hooked me up. I will have them here in the morning and should be running by tomorrow evening. I will be putting my stock exhaust system back on since I have the Miestershaft section 1,2&3 now. I will go with the new RPI system with hiflow cats.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys..

SW

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Awesome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts