BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
EdP said:
Take the test drives -- you'll know what works best for you.
Absolutely. You should not worry about the opinions of others. It is what YOU want.

I owned an M5 and have time driving the 545i. Different characters, different target markets.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Hit_Apex said:
I've driven the 545i and am open to ordering a 550i w/o a test drive. I have never driven an E39 M5. I currently have an E36 M3 with suspension so I lean towards performance vs luxury. I intend to get what I want - what I need now is information and seat time behind each. Thanks for getting me started with info and insight.

Sorry about the error, meant E60 M5. The E90 is not a consideration, I really need more cabin room - I'm 6'-5" and the E90 cockpit is not much bigger than my E36.

Manual and/or SMG production should begin soon after the sept automatics.

Chuckc - care to elaborate on the character contrasts? Thanks
The 545i was smooth and deceptively fast going from corner to corner in the back roads. The E60 chassis/suspension/brakes are much better overall than the M5 stock. Less float, tighter overall feel. However, the M5 has a more robust character with that awesome motor. The M5 with that motor, exhaust, cockpit type interior and overall environment is more like you are in a serious performance car. The 545i did not really "draw me in" like the M5 did.

The 545i I drove had the active steering which I got used to, but I would not want it. The feeling is not that natural. I drove a 530i with essentially the same chassis but without the active steering and the steering was awesome. As you may know, the recirc ball steering in the M5 does not have the tactile feel of the R&P found in the E60 chassis.

Its worth waiting to drive both. Hopefully, you can drive them back to back on the same roads. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts