BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into a heated debate with a mate about the differentials in BMW's. he has a M540 (e34) (6spd) and I have my 91 M5. I'm certain that he has an open diff (2.93) and I don't know what the diff is in my car (yes, I'm ashamed) I thought that BMW got ride of LSD's when they introduced ASC + T.

can some one clear up what cars have open diff's and what cars have LSD's?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Beeej said:
Got into a heated debate with a mate about the differentials in BMW's. he has a M540 (e34) (6spd) and I have my 91 M5. I'm certain that he has an open diff (2.93) and I don't know what the diff is in my car (yes, I'm ashamed) I thought that BMW got ride of LSD's when they introduced ASC + T.

Thanks
Don't know about the M540, but the e34 M5 has an LSD as the only form of 'traction control'.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok great. thanks.

anyone know wheat type of LSD it is?

Helical or clutch or viscous?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Beeej said:

Thanks
All Motorspots have it. Until body type E36, others could also have it. Since then LSD's have appeared only in Motorsports. For standard BMW's there has not been even an optional LSD.

Jussi

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
turns out that my mates car is one of 45 made for the canadian market in '95

his car is an M5 with the 4.0 litre V8. he has the six speed of the 3.8 but not the brakes, nurburguring suspension, or the m parallels.

Interesting to find out that his car is more Rare than my M5

as info.

Beej

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Beeej

If your mate's car is indeed a Canadian M540i, it is a rare beast and much more so than almost any M5. There were 32 of them made, each individually numbered (plaque on the centre console). Contrary to your understanding, they were actually fitted with everything the 1995 M5 came with (including the big brakes, the full EDCIII suspension and the M Parallels), except for the engine.

There were also 200 US versions of the same car. These did not have the big brakes (but did have the earlier E34 M5 brakes) or the M Parallels, but did have the full EDCIII suspension. There were other differences as well.

Finally, there was an Australian version of the same car - the 540iLE - which was more closely specced to the US M-Sport 540i, although again with some differences.

But the pick of the 1995 Motorsport 540i's was the Canadian car, which was in all respects a well equipped 1995 M5, except for a 210kw V8 in place of the 250kw Motorsport 6.

Some pics attached of an M540i.
Beeej said:
turns out that my mates car is one of 45 made for the canadian market in '95

his car is an M5 with the 4.0 litre V8. he has the six speed of the 3.8 but not the brakes, nurburguring suspension, or the m parallels.

Interesting to find out that his car is more Rare than my M5

as info.

Beej

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
540i with everything else M5 sounds like a great idea! Add nice exhaust and youve got a brilliant sound track too.

The 4.0L engines are appretly quite tuneable capable of easily giving 320+ BHP depending on what you do (Cams, remap, manifold/exhaust, intake). And the torque!!

All with a manual gearbox aswell!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey M540i LE,

thanks for the info,

My mates car has everything you list except the M parallels. (he's gonna be pissed!) they are his (and mine) favourite wheels.

Thanks again

Beeej

1 - 10 of 10 Posts