BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Gustav -

I'm posting this in the E39 section because this is where most people look. The board's performance has gotten really bad, at least for me. Frequently I get long delays, or "page cannot be displayed." From the frequency of this occurance, I would guess that your web server is tolerating no more than 2 simultaneous sessions, maybe even 1. Maybe it just needs some tuning?

I know you're volunteering to run this board and I am extremely grateful to you - you provide a valuable service to us all. You have also told me that the problem has to do with your ISP - and that money is an issue to fix it.

I value the board tremendously, and would be more than happy to make a small donation to help defray the costs of its operation.

The purpose of this letter is twofold:

1) Are others experiencing frequent delays and lockouts?

2) Would others be willing to help Gustav out with $$ to buy a better web server or faster ISP connection ? We're not talking about a lot of $$ here.

Comments?

Forever!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
P.S. thanks to bmwm5.com I have selected UBB as nice, super-afforable bulletin board software for my site...and to boot - it's running just perfectly on a Rackspace.com server...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Talking about unmarked cars, few days ago, I just got pulled over by a Bright Red Honda Civic !!!! They even install the alternating headlights so when they flash at you, you know you're in trouble.

Cops are really getting creative in their unmarked vehicles these days. A friend of mine was pulled over by a Cadillac.

Another friend of mine once out ran them and sure enough there are 3 cop cars waiting in his driveway that evening. It doesn't matter if their cars are slower than you. As long as your license plates are visible, you're pretty much doomed and you might as well stop there and then.

I walked away with just a verbal warning because I wasn't really speeding too much (90km/h in a 60km/h zone, kicking the butts of a '99 Corvette from stand still) but it was humiliating enough :~(

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the update, Gustav - let us know if this imposes any financial hardship. I'm sure there are members who are willing to help. Also, let us know when you do get more CPU time - so we can let you know if it has helped.

As for your license, September is approaching - it must be excruciating waiting!!!

Thanks -

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
So I got a reply from my internet supplier. Hmmm, he said due to the volume of visitors he wanted "at least" 200 dollars more / month.

Hmm, seems strange, after half a year with that cost I can by my own dedicated server for that sum.

So I asked him if I could buy my own server instead and connect. So we'll see what will happen.

Also, I would like to have the board at the domain name www.bmwm5.com as everything else.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
533 Posts
Gustav: Try out Dialtoneinternet.com.

I've used them with a website I owned that had major traffic like over 1M pageviews per month and heavy ubb board.

You get your own server and I don't know how much you pay now, but 200 over whatever you pay would get you a much more powerful/flexible solution with them.

If you need any help just let me know as this is my specialty. Oh and yes I have felt the long delays/poor performance and such with this board.

------------------
2000 M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Hi Greg and others who are excperiencing performance problems (including me).

I mailed my provider and he told me I've used my amount of CPU power of the server (seems that this site is lagging others on that server). So now (today) I'll call I'm and ask for more power. Hopefully it won't be too much. We'll see.

What a wonderul summer without my license... July and August remaining, then on Sept. the 8th (preliminary) I'll get the license back. To those of you who still got your license, beware of unmarked cars

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
128 Posts
Gustav,
yes, unfortunately the performance of the board has been marginal recently (and i connect with a cable modem). i hope you can find an inexpensive fix. otherwise, i would be willing to pay a nominal subscription fee.
thanks for all your work, and i will think about your lost license as i drive my titanium M5 today...
michael

·
Registered
49,476 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I also noticed something wrong with the board myself, but it was a little different. I have become accustomed to the slow speed of the new board, but I can't access the www.bmwm5.com site AT ALL from my home IP during the day, but after 8 p.m. it works fine. But, if I try to access the site from work during the same time period, it works fine. I don't understand that at all. Anyways, it's just something that I wanted to ask you, Gustav. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Also I got the web statistics from my provider. Currently my site cost more to him than I pay him. That is good but it won't work so long...

I have 3,6 GByte traffic / day which is around 108 GigaByte / month. And according to my ISP that is a lot.

So the solution is:

A. A dedicated web server. As mentioned above from Rackspace.com (P500, Linux, 10 GB HD) with traffic up to 150 GB / month will cost you $615 / month which isn't cheap.

B. The second solution is to find a company who is willing to host the entire site for free, but then that company want ads of course. But that does not mean it should be littered with ads.

Or the alternative that I find a company who will sponsor the site where it is now and I pay the higher fee ($200-300) but this is short term also, sooner or later he wants more becasause increasing traffic.

So does any of you know a company who would be interested in hosting this site?

AYou can answer here or mail me: [email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts