BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Teuton, the part I listed below is the wheel well liner the Euro version has the air channel with this part there should be no need to cut anything on the car. The web center is optional??? I hope. Thanx

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
John: exactly right. I don't want that cross-bar, and from what I understand if you get the new web, you have to have it?? Instead, I'm going to "cut" it away, so to speak. I'm not sure how the standard air ducts will work, so I'll keep the flex tubing close by.

If anyone wants to stop by, I'll do doing this @ dynospot on thursday around 1 or so.

Greg: what does SPL stand for?

--Dan

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Just for completeness' sake, the 'engine compartment covers with brake channel' part numbers as posted in a different thread by SVTWEB:

R - 51 71 2 694 832
L - 51 71 2 694 899

Presumably these would eliminate the need to cut the wheel well to allow the ducts to exit?

As for the grille mesh: I haven't had it off the car yet, and consequently I can't say how practical this idea is, but if cutting it makes it too 'floppy' one option might be to glue or pop-rivet a piece of 16ga aluminum or 1/8in thick ABS sheet to the back of the area to be cut out to provide a little more stiffness.

The black diamond-mesh roof-gutter covering sold in rolls at Orchard Supply is also known to make a nice cover for openings cut in bumpers, air dams, etc, though it may not be wide enough for this hole.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Guys-
First, the MISSING P/N: here are the plastic pop rivets that affix the bumper fascia to the aluminum subfram ***'y
51-11-8-174-185 RIVET $0.56
You'll need about ten of these to reattach the bumper.

Now, about using the OEM duct and drilling or cutting it out. The one limitation, as I see it, is that there aren't any plastic tabs (as on the M-Technic insert) for the AIR BRAKE CHANNELS to attach. Again, the opposite end of those channels insert pretty deeply into the aluminum ducts, so it may not be absolutely necessary, but it won't be as tight as the M-Technic kit.

As for the Web Center (splitter), there's nothing preventing you from leaving it OFF, and still using the M-Technic grill insert (with tabs). The only downside is that there is a horizontal molding (for the splitter to attach to) running across the grill.

Does it look shi**y? Yes.
Does it look shi**ier than the stock piece with holes drilled in it? Doubtful, but that's a matter of taste.
Does it, upon reflection, look shi**ier than installing that stupid cross-member? I give up! It looks better this way, in my eye, to the other two options.
This is where I ended up.

Finally, is it necessary to purchase the 'engine cover' wheel well parts with the holes pre-cut? Given the cost/benefit, you'd have to be PRETTY anal to go to that length---but I don't want to start any flames here. I think many of us would qualify in some form or another, compared to 99% of the rest of the world, so do as you please!

------------------
'00 Carbon Black/Black All-Leather/Sportive

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Teuton - thanks. GREAT info. I am going to do this. I agree - probably too anal to buy the new liners.

I'm thinking of securing the front of the ducts with some little "l" brackets - screwed to the duct and the plate in the grill. If I use some nice black caphead bolts it will look fine. I ain't gonna get the m-technic grill.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I drilled and cut mine out with NO new parts added and it worked fine at Road Atlanta last week. If you drill the holes cleanly(no burring) it looks good too. As a matter of fact, the drivers side of the grill already has 6 holes drilled by the factory for alternator cooling. I just drilled the other holes that smae size and it looks OEM.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Is there not a grill insert available that is the same as on the European M5 ?

------------------
D. Guilburt

[This message has been edited by c4m5 (edited 28 March 2001).]

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A grill insert is not necessary. Even after drilling out the many squares in the grill, it is still stong enough to support itself. It is not flimsey.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Parkerfe, Thank you for the opinion, I do understand that for you another grill insert is not necessary, as for myself I would like to use the BMW issue non altered part.///

------------------
D. Guilburt

·
Registered
311 Posts
About bmurphy's brake duct setup. I just called Motorbahn to purchase 2 raffle tickets and the guy started telling me about 2 M5s that came in the last month to have some brake cooling duct work done. He said that he had done it on bmurphy's car and that the total cost was $560 or so. That includes matching body paint, super blue brake fluid, and some new lines or whatnot. Is this worth it or should I go the cheaper route ala TeutonAddict or Parkerfe?

·
Registered
887 Posts
PLEEEEASE...you spent $75-80k for the car! Why are you guys pinching pennies now?! Get the factory setup!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Not too quick on that hair trigger, DrKev!

While I'm not condoning taking the moto-tool to the factory grill work, the M-Technic parts install is one job a novice do-it-yourselfer can accomplish in about three hours (I'm talking duct conversion, not the brake fluid flush). Given that my Authorized Service Center wanted ~$300 labor to do the same task, I decided to do it myself. You're talking $110 in parts, MAX. Now, the cheap bastard in me opted to paint the "web center" (horizontal splitter) matte black (instead of painting it Carbon Black for $75).

Not all of us can get those reasonable, Western NY labor rates! [$50 exhaust install? $35 paint job? You got it damn good!]

I gotta say Bobby's body-color web center looks sharp; I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

BTW, I've had previous dealers change out brake fluid for product I provided (SuperBlue) for ~$50. Now I do THAT myself.

Edit: GradX, if the $560 covers new stainless lines as part of the deal, then that's probably worth doing. I paid $130 for Goodridge lines from HMS Motorsports, then $150 to have them installed.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Teutonaddict (edited 29 March 2001).]

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Just a point of clarification: the operational ducts came ONLY on MY1999 Euro-spec M5s. As our friends across the pond have pointed out, their ducts on '00 and '01 models are closed off as well.

You need to have your parts person look for the M-Technic kit (categorized under E39 528/540 parts) listed in the SOUTH AFRICAN parts catalog ("RZ," per the BMW computer). They no longer list these parts under M5 accessories. Don't ask me why, I just watched as the parts guy navigated the system through many dead ends.

------------------

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
That being the case, presumably the MY1999 Euro-spec M5 had a grille insert with openings? Part number? Can they still be had?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
JEM-
Try as I might, I could not locate the "euro-spec" grill insert anywhere. I have to conclude it's no longer available. As SVTWEB has indicated, it may have been a prototype part that wasn't intended for global use.
-Dave

------------------

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was able to check out Dan's (bobafett) brake duct modification at the karting event. It was a very clean installation and the ducts should move lots of air over those front brakes. Dan, if I understood you right, the only parts that you needed were the two ducts. Greg posted the p/n's earlier in this thread;
P.N. #51-11-7-890-013 AIR BRAKE CHANNEL FRONT LEFT
P.N. #51-11-7-890-014 AIR BRAKE CHANNEL FRONT RIGHT
Are these right? Did the dealer have them in stock?

Greg, are you still up for doing both of our cars at the same time at one of our houses?

John

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just noticed this morning that my wifes'4.4 Sport X5 has the brake ducts open and functional! If you want to see the result of the exercise visit your local dealer and have a peek! JPN/Cdn 01/M5

UOTE]Originally posted by jlvink:
I was able to check out Dan's (bobafett) brake duct modification at the karting event. It was a very clean installation and the ducts should move lots of air over those front brakes. Dan, if I understood you right, the only parts that you needed were the two ducts. Greg posted the p/n's earlier in this thread;
P.N. #51-11-7-890-013 AIR BRAKE CHANNEL FRONT LEFT
P.N. #51-11-7-890-014 AIR BRAKE CHANNEL FRONT RIGHT
Are these right? Did the dealer have them in stock?

Greg, are you still up for doing both of our cars at the same time at one of our houses?

John

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
For what it's worth, our '98 540i has them too, though I'd never noticed until it was in the shop to replace the front bumper...

21 - 40 of 45 Posts