BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short tale of my beasts trip to local BMW dealer...

My ///M only goes out at weekends, so last weekend after visiting and having a little run in Whizzkid11 (Was)'s ///M, I noticed on the way back that during heavy braking that I had a slight front wheel shudder. I dont know much about cars but it wasnt shaking during driving so was probably not poor balancing on the wheels.

Naturally, I was a bit concerned so took the car to my local dealer, (a) because I wanted the oil service, dashboard replaced under warranty (faulty pixels), and (b) to sort out the wheel shake problem.

At this point I will say the M has 45373 miles on the clock, when left on their site... remember this bit!

The problem with the shake was warped front discs which are unfortunately not covered under my BMW warranty. I did try saying that since I have owned the car, which has now been 9 months, I have only done just over 3000 miles and that maybe they were faulty, they stuck to their guns and would not replace on the warranty so I had to pay. A letter is winging its way to Warranty Head Office to see if they can bend on this a little but I dont hold out much hope.

Anyway, I received a telephone call to say I can pick up the car at around 5.30pm, all was fixed.

A little disgruntled that I would have to pay for my new discs I went and picked up my car. I didnt realise that the only way to fix the missing pixels is to replace that complete dash/dials unit so assumed that the milage would be put to what it was before the unit was replaced.

Pleased to see my car again (how sad!), I first looked to see if my ride had grown any new damage while in someone elses care, all appeared ok but wont fully know until its next cleaning session. Key in the ignition, starts up, great all ok here too, looked at the mileometer....45371 WHAT...

Looked in the inspection book, oil service was done at 45379 miles, so mileage went up then down again, (thought this was ILLEGAL clocking). My main problem is that the receipt for service works and my inspection book do not match up, which in the future should I ever sell may become a problem if it gets noticed.

My car had not only been out on a couple of test drives, driven around there forecourt etc but was given back to me with less miles recorded than when handed over. They were closing their doors as it was late by this time so will be going back tomorrow to find out what has happened???

Did my car go out for a rather long test drive and to disguise it they falsified the mileage? who knows, but will try and find out tomorrow.

Has this happened to anyone else, I doubt it...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Test drive in reverse? Probably not very funny.

That is extremely strange.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Could this be a pixel problem? If some of the pixels on your display are not working, the mileage may appear different than it is...just a thought.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Wow, thissounds very very strange. Does the odometer really go "backwards" when reversing? I dounbt so? Have the tampered wit the odometer? It might be the case?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just an idea..... When replacing an instrument cluster the mileage isn't transfered during coding procedure as such. The data for mileage is stored in both the EWS, LKM and instrument cluster. Slight variations in mileage will occur between the control units and when assigning the new cluster to your vehicle a lower or even higher value can result (only a few miles though, unless it's been clocked before??)

Hope this helps??
Best Regards
Peter.

·
Registered
272 Posts
M500PMW said:
Just an idea..... When replacing an instrument cluster the mileage isn't transfered during coding procedure as such. The data for mileage is stored in both the EWS, LKM and instrument cluster. Slight variations in mileage will occur between the control units and when assigning the new cluster to your vehicle a lower or even higher value can result (only a few miles though, unless it's been clocked before??).
This is exactly what happened. When installing the new cluster they must sit there and program all the info to the new cluster. I had mine replaced under my Extended Warranty about 6 months ago and the tech at my local shop mentioned to me that during programming of the new cluster there may be a discrepency in the mileage, but just a few miles. When mine was all said and done I had 3 miles less than what the mileage was before. This should not be a major problem, and the little red light that lights up when tampering with the odometer does not light up.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amir M5 said:
This is exactly what happened. When installing the new cluster they must sit there and program all the info to the new cluster. I had mine replaced under my Extended Warranty about 6 months ago and the tech at my local shop mentioned to me that during programming of the new cluster there may be a discrepency in the mileage, but just a few miles. When mine was all said and done I had 3 miles less than what the mileage was before. This should not be a major problem, and the little red light that lights up when tampering with the odometer does not light up.
Thanks for the comments guys,

As you all say when the cluster is changed and reset there is a mileage difference, dont ask why I havnt got a clue, but that was the word from my BMW dealer.
As long as all the records tie together it doesnt matter, maybe the dealer should have explained this prior and would have saved alot of grief.

Got my car back now so am happy again :D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Gustav said:
Wow, thissounds very very strange. Does the odometer really go "backwards" when reversing? I dounbt so? Have the tampered wit the odometer? It might be the case?
I dont think so. I was just making a bad joke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts