BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my M5 a year ago today and 16,768 miles later, the Beast has a total of 62,946 miles on her now. It has been a wonderful year with a car I enjoy driving today as much as the first day I bought her. In spite of a thorough PPI by a long time BMW mechanic at a dealership, the car had a disintegrating guibo which ended up bending the driveshaft and I had to replace both in the first 300 miles. The PPI also missed a broken rear sway bar bracket and as a result he did a free oil and filter change for me. He also missed the fact the car had run flats on it, which I found out when I thought the vibration was a wheel balance issue. My only mistake in my test drive was not driving faster than 75 mph where the vibration was pronounced. I also replaced the FSU in the first 500 miles.
I've averaged 16.9 mpg, and changed the oil every 3500 miles with TWS, and only had to add a total of a half quart of TWS in between changes. I've been VERY HAPPY with the two sets of Michelin PS2 tires I've had on the beast. The only thing that has failed after straightening out the vibration has been the thermostat. I've changed all the fluids, the belts, the radiator hoses, the spark plugs, the fuel and air filters, and upgraded to the Beast heavy duty sway bar brackets. I also had the leather interior professionally refinished.
I've grown to like the 2000 pre face lift lights, but want to upgrade to the newer nav system and nav screen this year as well as the 540 short throw shifter. I'm on the orignal battery, so that will probably need changing eventually, but it's doing fine now, as is the original clutch. I love the seat heaters and the seats almost as much as the performance of the M5, and as we all know, it corners like it's on rails without jarring your teeth out with a race car ride. I've had many sports cars from Corvettes to Porsches and nothing has thrilled me or driven as well as the E39 M5. I bought this car for a weekend driver, but ended up driving it every day and have found driving it on a regular basis seems to agree with the M5. Only regret is that I didn't discover the M5 earlier in life!

·
4,395 Posts
I've grown to like the 2000 pre face lift lights ...ended up driving it every day and have found driving it on a regular basis seems to agree with the M5. Only regret is that I didn't discover the M5 earlier in life!

the pre facelift lights are going to age well - people don't seem to appreciate them as much as they should (steering wheels and rear lights too)

the daily driving thing is 100% correct - every time my car sat longer than 2 days something usually happens - my favorite was the miles reset to kilometers (was funny when i realized my mileage jumped to 90k+)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Glad to know I am not the only one that racks up miles in a year :) I have a little less then a month until I have had a year of ownership, it will be right around 15000 miles on the car, this is the MOST I have driven in one year with a car! This has been the best BMW that I have owned, and this is number 12!

·
Registered
223 Posts
a year and 16,768 miles later
I've put on 6,300 miles in 2.5 months of ownership so I may have you beat by the time I get to a year :M5launch:

OT: Tj Hunter, a couple of MN M5 guys are planning a Minneapolis meetup Jan. 29. Check the MN thread in the midwest regional forum for more info if you are interested in coming.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jim,

I bought mine in December 2009. Silver with 51k on it. I live in Spokane so the weather limits my driving a little. However I did manage to put 7,000 miles on it.

This is hands down the finest car I have ever owned. I'm not a drifter or burn out kinda driver but I absolutely love everything about the E39 M5. I am very happy with the 2000 (10/99) production. I do my own oil and use the Castrol 10W60.

Glad to hear you got the right car for you.

tj

·
Registered
178 Posts
the pre facelift lights are going to age well - people don't seem to appreciate them as much as they should (steering wheels and rear lights too)
Jim: a very nice write up! The pre-facelift lights are growing on me as well.

John: I agree with your statements. I must admit, though, I did swap out the skinny M-wheel with the thicker one because... it just feels better (and probably because I came from an '09 1er).

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
JimBeemer,Why did the driveshaft bend?
The dealership thought it must have been very slightly bent when I bought it and noticeable only at high speeds (over 70mph ). When the guibo came apart and chunked rubber while I was on the highway, it bent more and vibrated even at 45 mph.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I bought my M5 a year ago today and 16,768 miles later, the Beast has a total of 62,946 miles on her now. It has been a wonderful year with a car I enjoy driving today as much as the first day I bought her. In spite of a thorough PPI by a long time BMW mechanic at a dealership, the car had a disintegrating guibo which ended up bending the driveshaft and I had to replace both in the first 300 miles. The PPI also missed a broken rear sway bar bracket and as a result he did a free oil and filter change for me. He also missed the fact the car had run flats on it, which I found out when I thought the vibration was a wheel balance issue. My only mistake in my test drive was not driving faster than 75 mph where the vibration was pronounced. I also replaced the FSU in the first 500 miles.
I've averaged 16.9 mpg, and changed the oil every 3500 miles with TWS, and only had to add a total of a half quart of TWS in between changes. I've been VERY HAPPY with the two sets of Michelin PS2 tires I've had on the beast. The only thing that has failed after straightening out the vibration has been the thermostat. I've changed all the fluids, the belts, the radiator hoses, the spark plugs, the fuel and air filters, and upgraded to the Beast heavy duty sway bar brackets. I also had the leather interior professionally refinished.
I've grown to like the 2000 pre face lift lights, but want to upgrade to the newer nav system and nav screen this year as well as the 540 short throw shifter. I'm on the orignal battery, so that will probably need changing eventually, but it's doing fine now, as is the original clutch. I love the seat heaters and the seats almost as much as the performance of the M5, and as we all know, it corners like it's on rails without jarring your teeth out with a race car ride. I've had many sports cars from Corvettes to Porsches and nothing has thrilled me or driven as well as the E39 M5. I bought this car for a weekend driver, but ended up driving it every day and have found driving it on a regular basis seems to agree with the M5. Only regret is that I didn't discover the M5 earlier in life!
Thats great to hear!Hope my first year is similar when its up in April.(But I've only done 1800 miles in the beast so far!!!)

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Nice year with the M5! I'm sure many more are to come.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Glad you're enjoying the beast. Did you mean you want to change to the 545/550 aka e60 short shifter?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like you enjoy your M5. It is much cheaper to buy a good Garmin GPS for about $175 than to replace the 2000 style GPS and screen. The new plug in ones have a lot more information, terrain, etc. than the 2002 style nav. Personally, I use a Garmin in my M5 and leave the M5 screen on the display status page.

·
4,395 Posts
Sounds like you enjoy your M5. It is much cheaper to buy a good Garmin GPS for about $175 than to replace the 2000 style GPS and screen. The new plug in ones have a lot more information, terrain, etc. than the 2002 style nav. Personally, I use a Garmin in my M5 and leave the M5 screen on the display status page.
+1

absolutely right

but the only thing i'd would look to keep is the secret menu, onboard computer etc - maybe a re-wire to a portable unit in the glovebox and retro-fit one of the nav-less units

RealOEM.com Diagram Selection

1 - 14 of 14 Posts