BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once, after about 60 miles of driving or so, I noticed the clutch slipping.

I was running fairly hard on a two lane highway, and slowing down and passing often. In the 3-6 gears I didn't notice anything. But in first and second, the clutch was fully engaged (Sport mode, DSC off), and the car felt like it just wasn't giving the power to the wheels.

I know I wasn't burning the back tires. It felt different, almost like the DSC power lag, but not quite.

After a while, the clutch seemed to go back to normal. Anyone have any ideas?

Vapour.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I think I feel mine start to weaken in heavy, stop-and-go traffic.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I seriously doubt the clutch was slipping - assuming your foot was off the pedal and you didn't just finish executing a lousy shift as has been discussed.

If the clutch can slips under application of throttle alone, (again, after you're rolling, foot off clutch, you've reduced throttle to almost NOTHING to ensure it can grab) something is very wrong. It has almost no life left, and it should be stinking. Take it in for service ASAP.

POSSIBLE explanation: I have 9K miles on my Dunlops and the streets have been wet lately - they spin, almost noiselessly, REAL easily. You'll see lots of flashing of the yellow DSC light if you have a heavy foot.

By chance were you on wet pavement?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Vapour: I'm curious... What's the build-date of your car? Dan (bobafett) said that BMW went to an "improved" clutch in "roughly the 4/00 build dates and later."

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not quite sure of the build date, but I took delivery in May '00.

As for spinning the rear wheels, I really don't think so. I have the Michelins with about 14k miles on them, and with the fresh pavement I was on I would definately feel it spinning.

The only thing I can think of is I briefly overheated the clutch with all the passing (upshift/downshifts), and when it cooled down it was okay. I've done similar driving before and never had this problem before or since.

Very weird,
Vapour.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I'd keep my eye on it. Perhaps baby it a bit, but don't cut back, because if it really IS a problem, you don't want to prolong it. Better to find out sooner.

Strange, but if it's a one-time deal, that's good.

--Dan

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
As far as I know, "one time deals" don't usually happen with clutches. At any given point, it is in a particular state of wear that can only get worse. Rear engine seals can fail and start to leak oil onto the clutch - they don't get better. To the best of my knowledge, clutch fluid doesn't ever boil like brake fluid - the clutch circuit is FAR simpler and under much less load than the brake circuit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts