BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have waited a long time (I believe over a year) to put this top notch BILSTEIN PSS-9 kit on my M5. The only question left that I need to ask is this: Can I have the ride height of my M5 remained relatively untouched... ? I would like my M5 to be set to the (exact same factory ride height). I'm wondering if even the top range of height adjustment (on this PSS-9 system) will only allow for a vehicle that sits slight lower then it originally did factory fresh.

I hope my question is semi clear & I hope that some of you E39 M5 suspension/chassis gurus can help me out with some good/clear answers. THANK YOU in advance. ;)

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I'm not positive; however, I'm pretty sure you can get very close to stock height with the pss9s. IIRC, they allow for the "optimal" 14.0in ride height that these cars seems to be pretty happy with.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Yes, if you choose to.

They come from the factory set at ~14.0" all around with a damper setting of 6. There is still a lot of collar to raise, if you prefer. At max, you will be higher than stock, however, would not recommend that.

Reactions: MrCrashRR

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, if you choose to.

They come from the factory set at ~14.0" all around with a damper setting of 6. There is still a lot of collar to raise, if you prefer. At max, you will be higher than stock, however, would not recommend that.
Thank you for the help with this. I was assuming so but I wanted to make sure before the install gets underway.

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Suggestions on the settings to start with if they are unequal? Thanks.
Search "PSS9 Damper Settings." Plenty of information about this.

It's strictly preference, some run 5F 6R, 6F 5R, etc etc.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Thanks for the help my M5 buddies. I had no idea that the firmness settings for the front & rear should be set to different numbers...
It is strictly preference. ;)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do have a 2nd question to ask. This one is semi related to my original post/thread starter on this link.

Will I need to use the Tuner Motorsports camber/caster plates (Stage 1) that I purchased "just in case... ?" LIke I previously mentioned, I do plan on keeping the car at a (as close a possible) factory ride height. If my ride height has not changed by more then a few hairs, then I won't need to use these right? My installer tends to think I will need to use these TMS C & C plates. But that is because he is under the impression that even the highest ride height on these adjustable dampers will be significantly lower then the factory height was...

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I do have a 2nd question to ask. This one is semi related to my original post/thread starter on this link.

Will I need to use the Tuner Motorsports camber/caster plates (Stage 1) that I purchased "just in case... ?" LIke I previously mentioned, I do plan on keeping the car at a (as close a possible) factory ride height. If my ride height has not changed by more then a few hairs, then I won't need to use these right? My installer tends to think I will need to use these TMS C & C plates. But that is because he is under the impression that even the highest ride height on these adjustable dampers will be significantly lower then the factory height was...
You will not need them at stock ride height. The highest ride height on the PSS9 is significantly higher than stock. Our cars come from the factory with a bit of negative camber already built in. The same parameters will hold true with the PSS9 set close to stock level.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Since you want to keep stock ride height did you consider keeping stock springs and going with Koni sports or equivalent? I understand the performance upgrade to the PSS9, but at stock ride height wouldn't the Konis and stock springs be about half the cost of the PSS9s? Just wondering as I really, really want the PSS9s so I have the option of how much to lower the Beast.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Since you want to keep stock ride height did you consider keeping stock springs and going with Koni sports or equivalent? I understand the performance upgrade to the PSS9, but at stock ride height wouldn't the Konis and stock springs be about half the cost of the PSS9s? Just wondering as I really, really want the PSS9s so I have the option of how much to lower the Beast.
I have a feeling Kevin is going to drop it a BIT (even though he's not admitting it right now) once he gets them installed, and has the option to "try it out to see what it looks like" :haha:

Reactions: M5 Fan

·
Registered
642 Posts
Kevin, it seems you are the latest to add these. What is the shop charging you to install? I'm debating on purchasing and thinking I'll install myself.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, that after I drive the car for a bit & get use to the way it sits, I may drop it down a small bit later on. I'm not sure on the labor coast yet but I did remove 80% of the rear seat area & rear deck (to allow access to the rear shocks) & all the rear fender liners were removed too. This should save a small amount on labor but I won't know for sure what the total was until I pick up my car. Possible this Friday my M5 will be ready...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts