BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mark,I don't want to bother you but could you tell me the cost of this and where to get it?Is it a star tek phone?Nasser

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your going to use the BMW factory controls, you'll need to purchase a phone through BMW, that has been programmed with their software. You can always install another phone, but you will not have the use of the BMW controls.
I have contact Motorola directly about programming other phones for use with BMW system. Their response was that only BMW can authorize which phones are programmed with BMW software.
Mark

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would be very unhappy if the 7797 is BMW's idea of a phone. Other than assuming there is a CDMA version, this phone does not have Truesync that connects to the PC-based PIM and does not have web capability.

A sorry state for 2001.

·
Registered
28 Posts
MarkM5Lauderdale, I'm alittle confuse maybe you can help me out. My dealer is telling me that the Startac kit for the M5 is not out? I would like to use the 7700 model. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have the CPT7000 CDMA startac. It is FULLY web enabled. I have my service w/GTE wireless (now Verizon). I'm have the voice recognition module and will be installed tomorrow.
I can't see why anyone would think of having any other cell phone in the car. Definitley safer, looks better, more convenient, costs ALOT more but oh well the car ain't cheap either!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Sorry about the English and, I know this is about the ATT plan but just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My understanding is the voice recognition module operates both the phone and GPS. So can one get it installed without a phone and just use the GPS part of it?

Thanks,
-Shawn

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Got mine installed today too. No manual or instructions????? Cost $110 (install) and about $350 for the module and parts.
As Mark said I could only figure out how to use the nav (a bit) route map, hotels etc and the phone so far. I said F%*k You and the volume adjust came up. So I'm sure there are other features but still need to figure them out. I called BMW NA and was told I would get a manual mailed to me w/in 7-10 days. We'll see.
So far I'm quite impressed. It's much better than trying to use the stupid rotary thing on the nav screen. I'm having a little trouble with 9 thinking it's 5. Otherwise works well.

Mark I think you and I must be one of the 1st in the US to get this because nobody knows what's going on with it. For sure 1st in the Bay Area since no dealers here knew anything about it until I started on this here.
I even spoke to the service guys at your dealer and they never knew anything either. Go figure?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I revieved some interesting responses to cursing as well. Seems it's been programmed for L.A. driving!
Dialing from the Directory has been interesting so far. Finally found that if you highlight the name then press the voice button and say "call" or "dial" it will work.
Dialing with just a number seems to work pretty well too. Still trying to teach the computer to understand a southern accent though.

Heard about your call, and several other's, in the service department. Poor guy had no idea what to do. I came in with all the part numbers and just told them I need these items. Did not tell them what it was for. Guess I skipped some hurdles that way.

Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by MarkM5Lauderdale:
Phone is a Startac model 7797. Please remember that you can negotiate the following prices between dealers.
84 11 0 026 228 - $595.00 - Phone
84 11 0 026 349 - $405.00 - Installation Kit
84 11 0 026 229 - $217.00 - PSE Box

Mark
Mark,How do you like the phone?If I order the
Part nunbers you supplied ,will that give me
the most current unit and features?Please let me know.Nasser

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Mark,I just ordered the phone that you supplied the part numbers for.Could you please tell me what the differnce is between this one and the one the dealer has in stock?
Better yet could you give me a call on a toll free number at 800-777-2223 and ask for Nasser
Originally posted by MarkM5Lauderdale:
If your going to use the BMW factory controls, you'll need to purchase a phone through BMW, that has been programmed with their software. You can always install another phone, but you will not have the use of the BMW controls.
I have contact Motorola directly about programming other phones for use with BMW system. Their response was that only BMW can authorize which phones are programmed with BMW software.
Mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts