BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 burned~1 quart of oil in 5300 miles of driving. Mostly highway but some pretty spirited(8000 rpm+) stuff too. I'm assuming that is pretty good for the S85 engine??

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yeeah that's pretty average. I would normally go through 1-2 quarts between oil changes.

Reactions: Benzin

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
512 Posts
That's pretty good. I go through a lot less with lubrimoly than I did with Castrol, and I'm not sure if that's necessarily a great thing or not.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
That's pretty good. I go through a lot less with lubrimoly than I did with Castrol, and I'm not sure if that's necessarily a great thing or not.

Lots of factors, but generally short trips or not a lot of time at full temp will contribute to increased fuel and less evaporation for the oil intern giving false burn rate. This can also lead to excessive or accelerated wear.

Longer trips or longer times at elevated temperatures will reduce/eliminate fuel and induce evaporation. So the way people drive, oil type/spec and general wear of engine has huge factors of burn.

These engines are high performance engines and high rates of burn are and can be normal. There is an official acceptable burn rate from BMW as well somewhere on the board.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Lots of factors, but generally short trips or not a lot of time at full temp will contribute to increased fuel and less evaporation for the oil intern giving false burn rate. This can also lead to excessive or accelerated wear.

Longer trips or longer times at elevated temperatures will reduce/eliminate fuel and induce evaporation. So the way people drive, oil type/spec and general wear of engine has huge factors of burn.

These engines are high performance engines and high rates of burn are and can be normal. There is an official acceptable burn rate from BMW as well somewhere on the board.

Cheers!
1k miles per quart of oil is the official rate.

The new turbo V8s BMW is recommending two quarts of oil on those during oil top offs. That how much oil they consume. They designed the newer oil pans to accommodate an extra quart.

Reactions: Benzin
T

·
0 Posts
I think it depends on the oil thickness. If it is 10-60 Castrol, then I think that is normal for a good motor. If that is for 0-40, then I think you have a motor that was definitely not made on a friday...lol:tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
779 Posts
I burned 1.5 quarts last oil change over 6000 miles of driving

Clearly once I add soft close doors this will decrease :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've been averaging a quart per 1,000 miles for the 18 odd thousand miles I've had the car (28k to 46k). But ever since my complete fluid and filter change 900 miles ago, I've only burned 0.1 of a quart. Hoping this trend continues!

·
Registered
386 Posts
5k miles and I have yet got below .4 on the gauge. Just got the oil changed. Mine is pretty good on oil

·
Registered
689 Posts
It appears that you're driving your car a bit like a pansy. Put that thing in P500S and thrash it around a bit to get that thing to consume some oil.

The M5 is like a woman. When it needs to bleed, it b1tches and complains until the bleeding finally happens and ends. After it's bled out some oil, it's a happy camper and ready to entertain its driver until than next liter is added.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts