BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a limited time only.. I'm ordering a one piece steel flywheel to fit the stock size clutch. The flywheel will be considerably lighter than stock but keeping the stock size means the clutch pack will be lighter than the larger units some have retrofitted. The other potential advantage in sticking with steel is less potential for problems as it heats up compared to steel/alloy combos.

Price will be £400 if there are four more who want one. Delivery in one month. I will try and get pics to add here.

Some difficulty uploading pics from the iPhone...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Estimated weight is 8.5kg - down from 16 kg for the stock item. Still having trouble posting pics from an iPhone.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Christmas pics :)

These are pics of alternately an e46 and e92 flywheel from the same shop. They will make the flywheel for the stock size m5 clutch as a custom piece, there race flywheels for the s62 take a smaller clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here it is. Massive reduction in weight - it remains to be seen just how noisy this will make the drive line. Stock flywheel is 16kg: new flywheel is 6kg.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I'd be interested in one of these after someone can comment on what the application is like to live with day to day and involving noise etc.

Will you be opting for this as a one off then so others can hang back before making the jump?

Cheers

Jay

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jay, the one pictured is going on the back of my engine this week. I ordered it back at the time of the first post in this thread, which I originally started to see if anyone else wanted to take the plunge and so reduce costs. I will report back on what it's like to live with in the rebuilt Nowack driveline. There's a lot of weight lost here, I'm hoping it will make the engine more responsive.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I dont meant to rain on your parade, but You're not going to be any lighter than a larger UUC or Rogue setup, as they're 6.8kg. Even with the clutch and PP fitted they're still going to be lighter. Also, you're going to have the same rollover noise that the larger kits get.

One more question, Is the friction surface removable?

The reason most guys go with a single piece steel flywheel is they're using them to keep drivetrain momentum on turbo cars with lightweight twin disc clutch setups.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
E55 I admit I'm not aware of the actual weights of the kits out there. I liked the idea of keeping the stock clutch diameter as this meant nothing else needed to be changed ie slave cylinders etc. Also, the couple of prices I saw on line for upgraded/light weight clutch and flywheel assemblies were not dead cheap - this seemed like a cost effective way to go.

As far as I know the friction surface is not removable ie it's one piece with the whole unit. The guys advising me turned me off alloy flywheels with the steel surfaces added on. I'm not saying the composite steel/alloy wheels arent any good just that for geoff steele racing n/a race cars they use single piece steel wheels.

If I am 10 kg down on the stock weight and still heavier than the uuc or rogue kits than that reassures me I'm not going to have an unfeasibly noisy setup!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
That looks like an OEM E92 M3 DCT flywheel

Mike,read post #3..Nick wrote they do race S62 flywheels that use a smaller diameter clutch.

Happens I have a used Tilton 3-disc sinter clutch as well as a still within specs 3-disc Sachs carbon clutch assembly....

Was just thinking....hiha

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Raikku, I'm not sure on the exact spec or cost for the race flywheel although I'd expect it to be in the same region as what I'm paying. Really nice machine work though, I knew I had to have one when Will showed there stuff to me! Maybe the race version will be cheaper as they probably have them on the shelf.

Mike, is 6.8kg the weight of the uuc kit with flywheel and pressure plate etc? If that's the case then I really have nothing more to worry about in terms of noise than the guys running those kits I guess, which is a relief!

Raikku, whilst looking around the aladins cave of gsr I nearly asked Will about tilton clutches.. before sense prevailed and I remembered my other projects like shopping for food etc :)

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Can you please ask about the pricing for the race flywheel as well which clutch brands and diameters are suitable for it....

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, no prob. It's nice to know there are a few of us here on this board with a strange inbuilt magnetic attraction to what my girlfriend calls 'more useless bits of metal' :)

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Mike,read post #3..Nick wrote they do race S62 flywheels that use a smaller diameter clutch.

Happens I have a used Tilton 3-disc sinter clutch as well as a still within specs 3-disc Sachs carbon clutch assembly....

Was just thinking....hiha
I was just making a statement...but yeah. Multi disc clutches are way overkill for our cars.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Raikku, I'm not sure on the exact spec or cost for the race flywheel although I'd expect it to be in the same region as what I'm paying. Really nice machine work though, I knew I had to have one when Will showed there stuff to me! Maybe the race version will be cheaper as they probably have them on the shelf.

Mike, is 6.8kg the weight of the uuc kit with flywheel and pressure plate etc? If that's the case then I really have nothing more to worry about in terms of noise than the guys running those kits I guess, which is a relief!

Raikku, whilst looking around the aladins cave of gsr I nearly asked Will about tilton clutches.. before sense prevailed and I remembered my other projects like shopping for food etc :)
The flywheel...6.8kg on its own. The pressure plate isnt terribly heavy, and the clutch disc is very light (the ceramismooth one). I'd say maybe 2-3kg more in total. The noise comes from being single mass...as the engine does not turn perfectly smoothly the teeth in the gears chatter against one another. Noise isnt an issue unless the trans oil gets hot (takes about 5 min here in sunny florida summer, but much longer when it's 50F outside)

Edit: you'll want a removable friction surface, unless you want to buy a new flywheel each time you change the clutch.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts