BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

One of the worst weekend to my beast and me

1996 32
Just want to share one sad day for me. Could never believe that wild rabbit could cause such damage to my beast. Hit it at 1 o’clock at night at 160 speed straight in the middle of the front spoiler. Spoiler is gone to peaces, fan, air cooler and radiator are gone too. 400 km away from home called trailer to carry my beast to my town to service, 10 hours with the family on the track in my beast damaged :crying: . Guess two tree weeks going to be parked till fixed. One expensive and f**** up weekend and one f**** up rabbit. Take care guys driving at night.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,478 Posts
Welcome aboard M5Brazil :byebye:

Anglas - it probably looks horrible but I'm sure that it can be fixed and your car will be as good as new in no time. Glad nobody was hurt (except the rabbit!).

·
Registered
410 Posts
calculate the foot lbs of force hitting a 1.5 pound bunny at 160 and you will know why there's damage. Sumtins gotta give, and it wont be just the wabbit.

I'm glad you are all safe, thats what really counts.

Assume that bunny was shot from a cannon and hit your M5 at 160 KPH.

e = M x V*2 / 450437 is the equasion for ft lbs of force of a projectile where:

e = energy in ft. lbs.
M = mas of bunny in grains (7000 grains to the pound) 1.5 lb bunny
V = speed of bunny in feet per second (about 147 ft/sec @160 kph,100mph)

so:

e = 10,500 x 146*2 / 450437
e = 496.8 ft lbs of force at impact. More than the bunny will crumple !

Now imagine when those Canadians hit moose at 65 mph:

e = 2000 lb moose x 7000 x 95*2 / 450437
e = 280,505 ft lbs of force on impact. But thats only if the moose doesnt roll over the top of the vehicle.:sad3:

Geez, I have way too much time on my hands today.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
M5Brazil said:
Since you and your family are alright, hope the engine is fine as well...
Family was sleeping so did not see anything but woke up from the noise after impact and was Ok just asked what has happened. I'm sure the engine is fine. The impact wasn't big one but soon information came out ''check coolant level'' pulled car aside and saw what really happened :(

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pete said:
calculate the foot lbs of force hitting a 1.5 pound bunny at 160 and you will know why there's damage. Sumtins gotta give, and it wont be just the wabbit.

I'm glad you are all safe, thats what really counts.

Assume that bunny was shot from a cannon and hit your M5 at 160 KPH.

e = M x V*2 / 450437 is the equasion for ft lbs of force of a projectile where:

e = energy in ft. lbs.
M = mas of bunny in grains (7000 grains to the pound) 1.5 lb bunny
V = speed of bunny in feet per second (about 147 ft/sec @160 kph,100mph)

so:

e = 10,500 x 146*2 / 450437
e = 496.8 ft lbs of force at impact. More than the bunny will crumple !

Now imagine when those Canadians hit moose at 65 mph:

e = 2000 lb moose x 7000 x 95*2 / 450437
e = 280,505 ft lbs of force on impact. But thats only if the moose doesnt roll over the top of the vehicle.:sad3:

Geez, I have way too much time on my hands today.

:haha: well you do have a time and as I see you're very good at math too :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes way too much time, I did a bit more thinking.

Since the impact occurs in just a fractioin of a second, and the total energy was about 500 ft lbs, you can even do a rough convert into how much horsepower was expended.

A horse can do about 550 ft lbs of work in a second x 60 seconds equals 1 hp or 33000 ft lbs of work per minute. Lets say the impact occured in 2 tenths of a second. .2 divides into the 1 second 5 times. 500 x 5 is 2500 ft lbs per second equivelent x 60 seconds = 150,000 ft lbs. That works out to around 4.54 hp impact, not considering any losses of course. A bunny is kind of soft of course, so there are some losses, haha.

OK I have to find something to do now.;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
To add a little humor, just goes to prove a rabbit can't outrun an M5!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad that no one has been hurt seriously.

A collision with a tiny animal can lead to enormous damage if the speed is "right". Take a look at this new Porsche Boxster, that ran into a pheasant at obviously high speed: (only click on the link if you are not of the overly sensitive kind!) http://www.c20let-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=32100&highlight

I do not have any detailed info about the incident, but the driver seems to be alright.

Don´t want to start a dicussion here, but perhaps I am not the only one to question if the speed of 160 at night with the family sleeping in the car is appropriate...
Save driving! :cheers:

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Ok and to add a bit more humor, "Whats up doc"?!

ie Bugs Bunny

·
Registered
289 Posts
hydreliox said:
Glad that no one has been hurt seriously.

A collision with a tiny animal can lead to enormous damage if the speed is "right". Take a look at this new Porsche Boxster, that ran into a pheasant at obviously high speed: (only click on the link if you are not of the overly sensitive kind!) http://www.c20let-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=32100&highlight

I do not have any detailed info about the incident, but the driver seems to be alright.

:
bleecchhh, that picture is a disgusting mess yecch, once when i was in Germany I went to the train station to look at the ICE train (it was a sunday in Gemany nothing to do sunday night, only place open seems to be train station) and in this hole at the nose of this train is a bird, dead and stuck in it, thats when I realised the train moves so fast the bird got hit from behind he was flying and didnt even hear/see the train it moves so fast

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pete said:
Yes way too much time, I did a bit more thinking.

Since the impact occurs in just a fractioin of a second, and the total energy was about 500 ft lbs, you can even do a rough convert into how much horsepower was expended.

A horse can do about 550 ft lbs of work in a second x 60 seconds equals 1 hp or 33000 ft lbs of work per minute. Lets say the impact occured in 2 tenths of a second. .2 divides into the 1 second 5 times. 500 x 5 is 2500 ft lbs per second equivelent x 60 seconds = 150,000 ft lbs. That works out to around 4.54 hp impact, not considering any losses of course. A bunny is kind of soft of course, so there are some losses, haha.

OK I have to find something to do now.;)
Need to start learning the math :hihi: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.