BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you didn’t see from the other CSB thread, I was able to get the correct bearing and install it. My new clutch feels great; the old pivot point was demolished and the AGA bronze one will hopefully last. AGA PS reservoir definitely helping to combat the spillage in the engine bay. It vented a bit but the first autocross day but I think i overfilled it. It didn’t vent the second day and was at the full mark.

Ground Controls were great but soft springs for autocross. We managed it with driving style. Biggest two issues were when you really started rolling the tire over, the car would start to hop a bit and wobble which was unsettling. We ran 44psi hot on all four corners with pretty much maxed camber and that was pretty fast.

Stock diff is toast. Couldn’t put any power down at all unless the wheel was totally straight. Too poor to buy a replacement. Comments on the mvariable from diffsonline are appreciated since it’s the “cheapest” one.

Oil consumption seems reasonable for a 2000. Drove about 400 miles and did 14 autocross runs on a half quart consumed.
Regarding the diff, seeing as you have done all the other drive train work I have no reason to doubt you could rebuild the stock unit yourself. I used the thayermotorsport 4 clutch kit to rebuild my stock lsd unit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the tip on the rebuild kit; I’ll check that out. Porter field R4E are installed with fresh rotors. Should stop me at NOLA just fine.

Oil consumption has been pretty good. We have used 3.5L over about 4500 miles with a couple track sessions each day. I won’t complain about that for a 2000 model.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well we made it through One Lap! I still have about 700 miles to get home though. Some ball joint retaining nuts and the strut pinch bolt had loosened up a bit which caused a little noise but were a 15 minute rest stop repair. Buying a 3 ton aluminum jack was one of the best choices I made. Only a bit heavier than the 1.5ton but so much more stable.

R4E pads held up okay at corvette museum track. At the end of the timed laps the fade would start.

We did a lot of brake bleeding which helped. Hard to believe we could boil RBF 660 but we did. Switching to castrol srf in the future.

The Michelin ps4s really offer outstanding grip, especially in a square 275 setup.

Not sure we will use the car again next year. We bet the 340i xdrive, a Chevy SS, and an e90 m3 who broke his suspension on an off the first day. We lost to a fairly prepped e92 m3 with aero and a mildly prepped e93 m3 with two experienced drivers. All the m3s were DCT.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Was really happy to finish, let alone bring back some hardware. 28th overall of 71 entries. I also pulled the autocross flier hero run of my life. The 3 cars above me were on falkens and bridgestones and were fully built time trial cars

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good job guys! I enjoyed talking to you at MSR. Great to see a beast getting used properly.

Kerby

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ash, that's a great finish. To be frank, because you guys worked so hard in face of some rigorous competition, a difficult 3rd place is so much better than an easy 1st.

Congrats on the wonderful finish!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well a supercharged e92 m3 (which isn’t a sedan?) is winning luxury sedan by a good margin
The categories have always been a little subjective! When I did it we were forced into a category we had no chance at because...well...Brock said so!

I wish I'd seen this thread earlier, would've loved to head out to MSR and said hi! Glad you had fun!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
MSR was the most fun stop! Tons of fans came out, Tanner Foust was there. The track surface made me feel like a hero and the course was easy to push the car hard with lots of runoff.

I do need to clarify that the Mile High M e92 M3, while it did have suspension and aero, was not supercharged as I initially suspected. It did however have heavy driver mods!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Important thing is an almost 20 year old - 4000lb family hauler made it through an event certainly NOT purpose built to showcase its main strengths.

I'm thinking a 4up class one lap event to showcase the true talents should be created.

My bet is that the M5 was certainly a much more pleasant place to be driving between the timed event venues.

Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Back in the early 2000s the m5 and m3 were entered several times. It’s obly now that other manufacturers have “caught up” that it is outgunned. Think about a 2000 M5 vs a 2000 camaro and then think about how their modern equivalents are.

For sure we “won” the transits. We were in stock swaybars and soft springs on the fresh ground controls. I even softened the konis for the longer transits. Some of the roads were wheel-benders but the M5 soaked them up. I routinely felt vindicated for picking soft springs even though most of our track time was leaning over on the bump stops. We had enough cargo space that the passenger could lean way back. It was heavenly by any measure, moreso compared to guys with no ac in track cars stopping every 40 miles to refill their 5 gallon fuel cell.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts