BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before sensor replacement I was going into limp mode too often.

The regularity of this prompted me to find a clear, straight stretch of road and turn the engine off while driving.

It worked. I turned the key back one click so the engine shut off while retaining steering, and would restart within several seconds.

No need to pull over. After several resets I was comfortable doing it on the freeway with light/medium traffic - initiating the process at a higher speed than the average flow to keep within the flow of traffic.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
In "The Flight of The Intruder", set during the Vietnam War, there is a description of how US navy aviator Jake "Cool Hand" Grafton, switches both jet engines off during air combat, and then manages to restart the engines.

It is an interestign part of the book...

David

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Reminds me of the time when they first started putting steering wheel locks into igntition switches. My '63 VW did NOT have that feature, and I was used to shutting off the engine, yanking the keys and coasting/steering into a parking place. Tried it on a friend's Toyota Corrolla - steering locked when I had about half the angle I needed to make it into the spot - narrowly escaped hitting the car in the next stall.........

Anyway - I have done this too - I just caution everyone to be extremely careful. You should also note that when you shut down, you have reserve brake assist vacuum, but it is only good for one or two applications - and you'll have no power steering. If you ever exerience this you'll be extremely grateful that the M5 HAS power steering....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points Greg.

It seems that just a few seconds are all that's required to reset the system but it's important to do it when the chance of unexpected changes in traffic formations are at a minimum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts