BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Sunday on my way to church with wife and the kids, I noticed a Ferarri approching in the outside lane so I told my son to take a look at the car since we rarely see one that isn't the starter car (355 or 360). This guy came buzzing past me and I wanted to follow him but got caught behind a car so I didn't catch up for a couple of miles.

Apparently he was trying to give his car some exercise since I had to jump on th M5 to catch up. I was only able to pull up behind him since the other lane was blocked at a stop light. There was no one in front of him so I thought he might try to impress himself by accelerating from the stop light.

Before the light changed I activated my sport mode and thought that this could be interesting to see if the car could maintain the interval from the light -- WOW -- he shot out after the light turned and there I was with the family in the car on my way to church trying not to end up in this guy's backseat.

I had to pay attention to him leaving the light so I didn't notice my tach and accelerated through first and qucikly grabbed 2nd - interval maintained - in 2nd I was looking so much at his car (didn't want to see him pull away) that I hit my rev limiter. I shifted quickly but lost a little given the power interuption. I ran the car up to 4th gear and maintained the interval (we're on a two lane road now). I could see him looking in the rear view mirror at this car that was on his a*# and wondered what he was thinking.

I had to slow down to make my turn to go to church but I was surprised at the speed of the M5. I'm sure that was not the best way to set an example driving for my kids but I couldn't resist.

Does anyone know what model Ferarri that could have been? It was a coupe and looked like it might have had a hatchback.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Well, racing on the way to church. I am not sure that having passangers in the car will exhibit the best acceleration times for the 5. You did not mention anything about screams coming from inside your car or were they too scared?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing but smiles and laughter from inside the car. There was one question from my wife when I guessed the price of the Ferarri at above $200,000 - Is that guy nuts for paying that much for that horse car (emblem on the back)?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Hey, there is nothing wrong with paying 200g for a Ferrari. Drive one, and you'll understand. I'm truly impressed with the M5 myself, but I can't really compare the two. The Italian Stallions of late really do live up the name.

--Dan

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Great story!!! My guess would be either a Ferrari 456GT or a 550 Maranello. The base price of either car would be around $240k. Your M5 performed admirably, especially considering the distinct weight advantage the Ferrari has (in addition to your family considerations). The 456GT has 436hp (US version) and the 550 Maranello has 485hp. The M5's performance is on par with the 456GT mated to a 6 speed manual. It's seating is a 2+2 and would be a good comparison to the M5 (except in value, luxury and comfort
The M5 should be a bit faster than the auto version of the 456. As for the 550....it is a super-car. You really can't compare it to an M5.

It sounds like you had fun. I can't wait to do this same. I have to wait another 14 months

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts