BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently spoke to a friend in the car selling trade
he loves the e39 m5 for its pure no nonsense setup ..ie more of a drivers car than the newer version
he mentioned when e39 m5s come up for sale he hardly pays anything for them
and said some get bought and simply broken for salvage .
i stood there gob smacked.
i havent sat down and roughly worked out parts prices to split a running m5 but wonder if its the way we are going to loose alot
of high mileage /badly looked after beasts..

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
That's the way it is....

High mileage or bad condition cars are more worth in parts than fixing them..

But this also helps the community getting used parts to fix broken beasts.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont know what the bottom line is on them but wouldnt think it a bad idea if someone set up a pure m5 breakers
to supply our older running fleet..if thats whats happening..
i remember him saying the running gear goes to europe ,race team ? dont know whos using them i thats the case.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I recently spoke to a friend in the car selling trade
he loves the e39 m5 for its pure no nonsense setup ..ie more of a drivers car than the newer version
he mentioned when e39 m5s come up for sale he hardly pays anything for them
and said some get bought and simply broken for salvage .
i stood there gob smacked.
i havent sat down and roughly worked out parts prices to split a running m5 but wonder if its the way we are going to loose alot
of high mileage /badly looked after beasts..
Way of the world!!!!
Hopefully some good parts from these cars will supply those that are left!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha good stuff
i did contemplate the idea but wasnt sure if i could break even at the moment ..more long term
i have a small 60ft x30ft 2 story work shop on 5 acres i dont use that i could set up a part time m5 breakers yard
for a slow burn long term project to keep ms on the road rather that a rip off dismantlers..tempting

·
Registered
75 Posts
While it does kinda hurt to see good cars get salvaged just because of a low value it's also desirable for the rest of us to have more parts to choose from. Should mine have some sort of catastrophic failure like the engine from that other thread (which it doesn't I've completely blocked the possibility out hiha) I would only be happy to have more second hand engines to choose from. I can't imagine a brand comes cheap ;)
What hurts more to me is when the good cars (E39 M5's not so much in my country it's still a 50.000+$ car) left get bought up and trashed by "boy racers" - just because "you can always buy a new one cheap" but I guess it's always hard as an enthusiast to accept cars are consumable items.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts