BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've decided to go with HRE rims model number 447R, 19 inch with 9 inch and 10 inch width. So...... now comes the question, what tire do you guys think is better suited the Pilot Sport 2 tires or the GoodYear F1 tires ??? I'll use the 265/30/19 in the front and 285/30/19 for the rear.
I've read the Tire Rack information and they indicate that the PS2 are the top choice but I wanted to see what My brother M5ers have to say.
Thank you. :flag:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I had the Goodyears on my M5 and loved them. I was running 275-30-19 on all four corners. the nice the thing about the F1's is that the shoulder is rounded so you'll have more clearance if you are pretty slammed. The Michelins have a squared off shoulder which means they run a tad bit wider and are more likely to rub.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I also really like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. It's probably the best street tire I've ever used.

You realize those HRE wheels have lots of room under them, right? ;)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Bridgestone RE050A is the new ferrari choice.

P zero rosso's are always good.

Mich ps 1 or 2 is nice

toyo proxes are good.

tuff to go wrong with the upper level of tires at this point.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just got F1's on my ride a few weeks ago. Holy smokes they stick like glue! Of course - my old PS1's were toast so that adds to the sensation of grip. Still - real grippy and very controllable. Already had some lurid powerslides on them and when they finally break traction they break away in a very controlled manner.

Plus the tread looks sick....

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jason & Dave Z.......

Hi Jason,
I called Tire Rack and they no longer have the Mich. Pilot Sport (original version) available in my desired tires sizes, 285/30/19 & 265/30/19.
Any other reasonable source to get these tires?

Dave,
I read youre remark on the GoodYear F1 tires. Did you ever have the Pilot Sport tires and if so how do the two compare with each other?
TIA.
Robert :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Re: Jason & Dave Z.......

FAST 5 said:
Dave,
I read youre remark on the GoodYear F1 tires. Did you ever have the Pilot Sport tires and if so how do the two compare with each other?
TIA.
I also have the F1's and think they are great. I compare them to worn out PS1's, so it is not a fair comparison. In addition, the PS1's are older technology. If the $$$ were the same, I would lean towards the PS2's because the tread is NOT unidirectional. Over time, directional tires tend to get noisy as the tread wears. Additionally, it is easier to rotate tires if they are not unidirectional. I will say the F1's are the best street tire I have ever used. Either one would not be a mistake.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,006 Posts

FAST 5 said:
Hi Jason,
I called Tire Rack and they no longer have the Mich. Pilot Sport (original version) available in my desired tires sizes, 285/30/19 & 265/30/19.
Any other reasonable source to get these tires?

Dave,
TIA.

you can try discounttire.com

Not sure if they will have um or not but worth a try.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts

gsfent said:
I also have the F1's and think they are great. I compare them to worn out PS1's, so it is not a fair comparison. In addition, the PS1's are older technology. If the $$$ were the same, I would lean towards the PS2's because the tread is NOT unidirectional. Over time, directional tires tend to get noisy as the tread wears. Additionally, it is easier to rotate tires if they are not unidirectional. I will say the F1's are the best street tire I have ever used. Either one would not be a mistake.
Regards,
Jerry
NOt to high jack the thread but I see you list a 2.65 diff, I'm interested in hearing where did you get this from, and how come you went lower than stock, and how did you arrive at that number?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jerry.........

gsfent said:
Regards,
Jerry

jerry,
That's one hell of an endorsement! Thank you! :cheers:

·
Registered
60 Posts
madyspop said:
I had the Goodyears on my M5 and loved them. I was running 275-30-19 on all four corners. the nice the thing about the F1's is that the shoulder is rounded so you'll have more clearance if you are pretty slammed. The Michelins have a squared off shoulder which means they run a tad bit wider and are more likely to rub.
Ahhhhh... CRAP! I had my heart set on the PS2's untill I read this comment ! My car rides pretty low so I don't want to take a risk of getting the PS2's and then having to raise the car ? How low ? I'm at about one-half inch above the end of the thread on the adjustable ACS dampers. Currently, I have P-Zero Rosso's and there is no rubbing. Any thougts ?

Regards,
Edgar

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have had f1's on my car for around year now, excellent in the dry and very good in the wet, but completely pants in the very cold dry conditions at the moment here in the uk. ~5 degrees, even with driving about for 50miles, the grip is nowhere as good as in normal.

Worth considering if it gets cold where you are, but overall will defo buy them again.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Re: Guys........ at this point, it seems like there's a winner........

FAST 5 said:
the GOODYEAR F1 tire, unless I hear anything else which might sway me in another direction. Thank you guys. :cheers:
Which tread do you think looks cooler? :cool:

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

·
Registered
3,006 Posts

DZeckhausen said:
Which tread do you think looks cooler? :cool:

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Yokohama AVS sport had it first though :)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

Jayson said:
Yokohama AVS sport had it first though :)
Yokohama AVS Sport ......vs...... Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3

1 - 20 of 24 Posts