BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my new to me 2006 I got the euro flash and ended by also doing the transmission and clutch adaptation. Big mistake - see here for details - http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...1-smg-euro-tune-adaption-issue-need-help.html

So, after trying to go through the adaptation process 6-7 times there is no change to the issue. After doing extensive research on this topic and looking at the error (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...-active-error-dis-while-doing-adaptation.html) it seems that all roads point to the clutch slave.

So, here are the two options I have -

1) Go to the dealer, plead ignorance and ask for car to be fixed. Car has fidelity warranty and I estimate a 50% chance of the issue getting fixed under warranty (the exclusion on the contract states - "standard transmission clutch components and assemblies"), with the distinct possibility of getting a new clutch/flywheel in the process. Alternatively, I will be denied the claim and I can pursue #2 below, presumably will have to pay a $200 charge for diagnosis to the dealer in the process

2) Buy the clutch slave for $255 and take it to my trusted M mechanic and get it replaced. Pay for the labour out of pocket

What are your guys thoughts on this? Which option / sequence should I take things forward in?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Step 1. Go to the dealer, play dumb and plead ignorance. If all fails, please revert to step 2.
Step 2. Go buy the clutch slave and take it to your trusted M mechanic.

Sounds like a plan?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey OP,

I'm sorry to hear of your issue and having to drive that distance with a constant warning "gong" going off. If I had the same issue I would:

1. Take your M5 to the dealership and if need be, pay to have your beast diagnosed and properly repaired.
2. Refrain from using Craigslist for anything related to your M5.

Kindly,

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would make the argument that its not a manual trans. If so, where's the clutch pedal? I get the whole automated manual argument, but being these Fidelity warranties are exclusionary then they should specifically state the exclusions for these cars if they are going to warranty them. Just because it has a clutch and slave cylinder doesn't make it a manual. The car has a 100% automatic mode just like your dads Dodge Polara did In 1974. I've read on this board where Fidelity has replaced SMG pumps for 4k. If they view it as a Manual trans, they wouldn't replace anything. I'm sure others can chime in on this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts